Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-23-2020, 04:40 AM   #1
neil4374

Drives: Camaro SS 2011 L99
Engine detailing

Hey,
From your experience would a normal car detail include the engine being powerwashed clean or would it include it being completely polished so it looks like the engine below?

Or would that cost a whole lot more money
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2020, 07:04 AM   #2
BRZN

Drives: 2012 1LT
Depends on your detailer.

I generally clean the engine bay when I do full details, and I charge by the hour. Cost depends on how dirty the engine bay is. I have an at length discussion with the client before scheduling so I can understand their expectations, and they can understand the cost for their expectations. Adjustments are made from there.

The engine bay in your picture appears new from the appearance of the fuel rails and showing no evidence of oxidation on the cast aluminum pieces. I also see a couple aftermarket goodies installed; headers, billet idler pulley, oil cap and valve covers. The billet appears to be raw, not coated, and once wet is very likely going to require polishing to bring it back to that as new appearance. Those raw billet pieces will increase the cost of cleaning that engine bay.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:07 AM   #3
neil4374

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZN View Post
Depends on your detailer.

I generally clean the engine bay when I do full details, and I charge by the hour. Cost depends on how dirty the engine bay is. I have an at length discussion with the client before scheduling so I can understand their expectations, and they can understand the cost for their expectations. Adjustments are made from there.

The engine bay in your picture appears new from the appearance of the fuel rails and showing no evidence of oxidation on the cast aluminum pieces. I also see a couple aftermarket goodies installed; headers, billet idler pulley, oil cap and valve covers. The billet appears to be raw, not coated, and once wet is very likely going to require polishing to bring it back to that as new appearance. Those raw billet pieces will increase the cost of cleaning that engine bay.
Thanks for the detailed answer. Much appreciated. I wish I lived in the States:(
But I hear what your saying. Do you think any engine could be brought up to looking as good as the photo above with enough effort?
Old 05-24-2020, 06:55 AM   #4
BRZN

With enough time and money, anything would be possible. Some parts would need removed to polish completely, like the valve covers in your picture, and some items may need replaced depending on their condition. Below are several engine bays I've cleaned up recently. The first two are mine, the others were from customer cars. Varying amounts of money spent to get what was accomplished.
115,000 miles

13,500 miles

1981 Mercedes 380SL

2017 BMW X3

1969 Z28 76,000 Miles

2019 ZR1, not much to clean in here, it's all covered up!
Old 05-24-2020, 07:02 AM   #5
neil4374

Nice work!
Thanks for the reply
Old 06-08-2020, 10:47 PM   #6
neil4374

[QUOTE=BRZN;10796562]With enough time and money, anything would be possible. Some parts would need removed to polish completely, like the valve covers in your picture, and some items may need replaced depending on their condition. Below are several engine bays I've cleaned up recently. The first two are mine, the others were from customer cars. Varying amounts of money spent to get what was accomplished.
115,000 miles

If I lived in the US and you were fairly close I would ask you to do my engine detailing. As it stands, I am in Korea. I am having difficulty finding an engine detailer here so it looks like I will do it myself. I would appreciate if you could point me in the right direction.
Firstly, I should have explained better. The first photo I showed you was how I want my engine to look like! Below is more what it looks like! However, it is much cleaner now!

I know about spraying the engine with water but not blasting it. Covering up electricals first. Making sure the engine is not hot but warm.
Spraying degreaser onto the engine and let it do its work for 5 to ten minutes. Id the engine is dirty, agitate the dirt with a brush. wash off and apply engine protector.
I suppose I would be interested in how I can make the aluminium bits shine with out removing them. I appreciate removing them would give the best result and also polishing them and lacquering them would also do the best job. But I don't have the facilities. I have some autosol!
Many thanks for any advice. Much appreciated.
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2020, 04:34 AM   #7
BRZN

Check out this video, just put out by Adam's Polishes, from a group of videos we did April a year ago:

Old 06-09-2020, 07:23 AM   #8
neil4374

[QUOTE=BRZN;10806814]Check out this video, just put out by Adam's Polishes, from a group of videos we did April a year ago:

Thanks I will give that a watch.