Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 12:39 AM   #1
Da1N0nly
Account Suspended

Drives: Sexy
i keep hearing bad things....

hey everyone i'm new here and I really want myself the new camaro.. best looking car..ever.. but I keep hearing bad things about it!

Parts breaking down

Can't turn at high speeds due to weight distribution or.. something else like that..

Recalls..

theres tons more but you guys already know it.

this isnt going to stop me from buying a camaro but I would desperately like to know if this is true about the recalls/parts breaking easy and the cant turn at high speeds without slipping out and losing control

Thanks everyone

Andrew

P.S
I want to buy the 2SS or the Z28 when it comes out
Old 01-16-2010, 12:44 AM   #2
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
12k miles and not in the shop one time.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:58 AM   #3
tommygun6644

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Cobalt LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da1N0nly View Post
hey everyone i'm new here and I really want myself the new camaro.. best looking car..ever.. but I keep hearing bad things about it!

Parts breaking down

Can't turn at high speeds due to weight distribution or.. something else like that..

Recalls..

this isnt going to stop me from buying a camaro but I would desperately like to know if this is true about the recalls/parts breaking easy and the cant turn at high speeds without slipping out and losing control

Thanks everyone

Andrew

P.S

No re-calls I think. A few minor quirks that were worked out in early production.

As far as turning goes, any rear-wheel car is tougher to take turns with than a front wheel. My buddies supercharged Cobalt can fly around turns compared to my Camaro. That's physics though, not the car.

Last edited by tommygun6644; 01-16-2010 at 12:58 AM. Reason: I can't spell
Old 01-16-2010, 01:12 AM   #4
mtcwby
High on "The Camaro Life"

Drives: 2010 2SS, IOM, LS3, Vortech, LG cam
Send a message via AIM to mtcwby
I don't know what kind of cars you have been driving, but for 99% of the people out there, this car will turn better than any car they have ever driven before. Most people will never push this car hard enough to ever have trouble turning it.

The only recall I know of has been the battery cable reroute for those cars made before May '09. There have been a few TSB's but nothing serious. I've got 20,400 miles on mine and no problems other than some of the early ones since my car was made in mid April.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:28 AM   #5
Tal

Drives: Old
Your concerns are so vague that you might as well be worrying about the boogeyman coming. The Camaro isn't perfect but if you are going to worry about something make sure it's something specific and real or at least potentially real problem. Having said that I'll take a go at your worries.

High speed turns - If you are used to fwd or awd it drive's different but the Camaro can take a corner far better than most regardless of the speed.

Parts breaking and recalls - Every mass produced car has these issues but I've seen no indications that the Camaro is particularly troubled.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:31 AM   #6
2Muchmark

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Send a message via ICQ to 2Muchmark Send a message via MSN to 2Muchmark Send a message via Skype™ to 2Muchmark
Hi -

There were some very minor issues with the early cars. The battery cable was placed a little too close to the engine which caused some a cable-melt in a few cars but this was fixed.

I drove my car all last summer about 5000 kilometers on it without even a rattle. It's very fast, and handles like a mo-fo. This is my 10th car and my most favorite car. Trust me, you'll love it when you get it. If you have a few extra bucks in your wallet, go for the SS with all the bells and whistles. The technology package with the better stereo, ambient lighting etc, are all nice touches and well worth the money.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:21 AM   #7
jeffny09

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to jeffny09 Send a message via Yahoo to jeffny09
u heaR bad things- i see dead people

10. A manual transmission is the ultimate in control
9. You can use automotive jargon and not sound like a total tool
8. You can't spell "manual" without "man"
7. Manual transmissions prove you can do more than one thing at a time
6. You can't drift in an auto
5. You can't pull fancy moves in an automatic
4. You get better fuel economy with a stick
3. You’ll never look like a chump if you can drive stick
2. Manual transmission cars are faster
1. Women like a guy who is good with his hands.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:28 AM   #8
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't RWD cars turn better than FWD? I always understood that RWD were predisposed to oversteer and FWD were more apt to under steer. Also FWD has to deal with torque steer. Since RWD cars usually have a more balanced weight distribution it tends to do better in the handling department. I can tell you I have driven many cars and my last car was a CTS that I thought handled excellently. The Camaro blows it's doors off and turns on a dime. I can't believe how tight this car feels. From the feed back in the wheel to the tight shifter and the phenomenal brakes this car is excellent. You need not worry at all.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
Old 01-16-2010, 07:00 AM   #9
Bert
synergy-green with envy

Drives: Cam....ry :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't RWD cars turn better than FWD? . . . .
for true high speed (like race course) handling yes -- but for around town fun FWD can "feel" better since it pulls you around corners and most people never push it to the point where the RWD is actually better

the motor-sports press has made a somewhat big deal about the not-so-good handling of the camaro, compared to the mustang and others . . . they say the camaro "pushes" aka under-steers . . . . but that apparently is exagerated, since the camaro actually beat the mustang and many other competitors in Car and Driver's recent "lightning lap" test

(there are threads on this with all the details)

so, maybe compared to a high-end BMW or Ferrari the Camaro doesn't handle as well . . . but compared to any normal car it handles great . . . coming from my Camry, the Camaro V6 I test drove felt like a real race car, like it's "on rails"

PS -- to the OP -- I'm guessing you've been talking with Mustang and/or ricer fans

Last edited by Bert; 01-16-2010 at 07:01 AM. Reason: ps
Old 01-16-2010, 07:01 AM   #10
import_killa

Drives: 2SS IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da1N0nly View Post

Parts breaking down

Recalls..

Thanks everyone

Andrew

P.S

14K miles and no problems
Old 01-16-2010, 07:09 AM   #11
Sword5

Drives: 2010 2SS
Folks, sounds like he's just a Newb to the Camaro world and just been fed some bad info. Trying to feel out the Camaro5(most informative group) before he buys. No problems with mine either but there is always some @$$ wipes out there talking stuff about our rides.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:12 AM   #12
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
My Camaro is perfect.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:15 AM   #13
Unfair
Banned

Drives: 2001 Camaro SS
There is a list around here with some common issues, I believe there was a problem with snapping output shafts using launch control, and some trannies getting messed up. look around the forum (warranty section). everyone here will just post how they don't have issues. every new car has issues it's good to know them ahead of time.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:17 AM   #14
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM 2014 2LT Stingray
The only issue I have is filling the tank. It gets better milage than my truck but since I look for any excuse to drive it for absolutely no reason I have to fill it up a lot more often than I ever did my truck

Closed Thread