Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 09-03-2012, 08:58 AM   #1
Dons 10SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Coilovers vs Drop Springs

I know this probably been discussed before but are the advantages of Coilovers over Drop Springs to lower the car? Not doing any track or road racing but I like to through it in the curves now and then just want be sure it`s going to stay planted. Also what setup will be close to factory ride?
Dons 10SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:12 AM   #2
camaroRND2

Drives: IBM 2SS/RS 6sp.
well if ur not planning on tracking the car inwould say springs and front and rear sways will do u just fine. no need to buy coilovers unless u want to spend some extra change that u will never fully reach their limits. i have LSR Performance and my ride is great but im sure all lowering springs advertised on this wonderful forum are just as great. DONT Forget about the SWAY BARS.
camaroRND2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:22 AM   #3
Blackkaz04

Drives: 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroRND2 View Post
well if ur not planning on tracking the car inwould say springs and front and rear sways will do u just fine. no need to buy coilovers unless u want to spend some extra change that u will never fully reach their limits. i have LSR Performance and my ride is great but im sure all lowering springs advertised on this wonderful forum are just as great. DONT Forget about the SWAY BARS.

I think most guys...and gals on here go with springs because of the difference in price. springs still give you the look you want, without sacrificing the ride too much..with lowering springs, the ride will def be stiffer and harsher than stock.

Coilovers give you "adjustability" for the track and the highway.....and a MUCH better ride than springs. If price was no option, I would buy coilovers.....no question about it
Blackkaz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:34 AM   #4
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
If you are not putting your car on the track I do not see any reason to pay 10x as much money. A good set of coil overs can be adjusted to your liking but a good set of lowering springs ride close to as well as stock. Slightly firmer but not hard or harsh in anyway. Like camaroRND2 mentioned, lowering springs and sway bars are the way to go.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #5
big papa

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Am I correct that I have read coilovers can be made to be an even nicer ride than factory thru adjustment? I personally want to be down 1"-11/2", but don't want to sacrifice any ride comfort.

$300 - $400 for springs or $1000 to $1500++ for COs?

19 GMC CC 4x4
2019 Harley RGS
big papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:49 AM   #6
big papa

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dons 10SS View Post
Also what setup will be closest to factory ride?
This!

19 GMC CC 4x4
2019 Harley RGS
big papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by big papa View Post
Am I correct that I have read coilovers can be made to be an even nicer ride than factory thru adjustment? I personally want to be down 1"-11/2", but don't want to sacrifice any ride comfort.

$300 - $400 for springs or $1000 to $1500++ for COs?
A good set of coil overs can achieve ride quality as good or better than stock but a $1000 set of coil overs is not a "good set". You get what you pay for when it comes to coil overs. A lowering spring in the 1 inch range is not going to significantly impact ride quality. Like I mentioned before, it will be a little more firm (think sporty) but not degraded. Below are a couple of quotes from customers of ours after installing Pfadt lowering springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakestang65 View Post
I cannot say enough good things about the way the car handles now!! I wish I would have done this months ago! The ride is not quite as compliant as prior, but it is not rough by any means. Just a bit firmer... The car does not feel quite as heavy as it did with the stock springs. Cornering is nice and flat. I cannot say enough good stuff about the engineering that Pfadt has put into these springs! The drop height and ride is perfect.

Many thanks again to Chase and Victoria at Apex!

Pfadt, you have a great product!

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by khislop007 View Post

Now the car handles like how it should.....feels like as if it were on rails and I don't know if its me or not, but I think it has a better ride quality than the stock suspension.....no bounce or pounding at all!!! I'd recommend these to anybody looking a good set of lowering springs....Pfadt nailed it on this one!!
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:58 AM   #8
camaroRND2

oh but heads up if u replace the sways and take a hard corner u will look at ur wallet and wonder whatelse can i buy. im pretty much addicted and now i have group theropy every monday for modder meetings. 1 week and no mods
Old 09-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #9
ToolFan66

Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
So what do a good set of springs and sway bars run??

I have been wanting to lower my car for the last couple of months.
ToolFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:57 AM   #10
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolFan66 View Post
So what do a good set of springs and sway bars run??

I have been wanting to lower my car for the last couple of months.
Varies. Springs in the 300 range, bars 450 or so. Shop around. Springs have a good ride unless you hit bombed out pavement or bumps then you feel it pretty good.The stock shocks arent really up to the task of controlling them as they should
especially on a v6, but not bad, and you lose shock travel through lowering, making them not as effective,and and the shocks may wear faster but havent seen reports yet.
Best setup I had on my 4th gen was springs and Koni SA shocks to handle the shorter travel and spring stiffness.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #11
camaroRND2

apex chase or Matt at LSR performance can set u up on a good deal.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #12
Blackkaz04

Drives: 2006 Z06
I like the BMR and the pfadt......BMR 1.4 front and 1" rear is kinda at the top of my list right now.....
Blackkaz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #13
Dons 10SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
I could go either way the cost is`nt really the issue just want to know what to expect on both setups. Why are the springs 1.4 F & 1.0 R looks they would be the same.
Thanks for the help
Dons 10SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #14
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Coilovers if you can afford them. I got my car lower and the ride is better with coilovers vs when I had Hotchkis springs.

I bought BC coils which cost right at $1k. For me they've worked out just fine. My car is mostly a daily driver with 2 or 3 Auto-X a year and probably the same trips to the drag strip.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote