Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 10:23 PM   #127
dmginc

Drives: In Circles
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
you think...

TBH you ended up with a frame that is "weakened" even tho its now straight which nets you with a "crapshoot" body that you know its history.

kinda like banging a chick without a rubber vs banging a chick that you know has the clap.

you take a chance either way, but just because you know about it, doesnt mean its the best route to take.

again, just being completely honest.
Yea, not sure I would go upping the power in it too much...even with sub-frame connectors you are still dealing with a weaker then stock frame...

i would drive it fairly easy for a few hundred miles and get it back on a lift to make sure all the welds are holding...peace of mind...

CAI Cold Air Intake, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs
Gen5DIY Fog Lights, Big Worm Third Brake Light/Side Marker Tint (Charcoal)
GTS Tail Light Covers, Purple Under Hood Lighting
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Muffler Delete
Black Plasti Dipped Wheels, Z/28 Spoiler
Old 07-22-2011, 11:19 PM   #128
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmginc View Post
Yea, not sure I would go upping the power in it too much...even with sub-frame connectors you are still dealing with a weaker then stock frame...

i would drive it fairly easy for a few hundred miles and get it back on a lift to make sure all the welds are holding...peace of mind...
I wouldnt drive it easy. better to find out early on instead of potentially slowly weakening it before pushing it hard.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:46 PM   #129
dmginc

Drives: In Circles
Quote:
I wouldnt drive it easy. better to find out early on instead of potentially slowly weakening it before pushing it hard.
drive it easy and then beat the snot out of the thing on your way to the lift...if you hear any creaking or clanking you have a problem tho...

CAI Cold Air Intake, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs
Gen5DIY Fog Lights, Big Worm Third Brake Light/Side Marker Tint (Charcoal)
GTS Tail Light Covers, Purple Under Hood Lighting
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Muffler Delete
Black Plasti Dipped Wheels, Z/28 Spoiler
Old 07-23-2011, 12:17 AM   #130
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmginc View Post
drive it easy and then beat the snot out of the thing on your way to the lift...if you hear any creaking or clanking you have a problem tho...
drive it hard off the lift. breaking it close to the shop = cheaper towing bill
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 07-23-2011, 12:29 AM   #131
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
I'm not racing this one. Her days are over, pretty much a show/cruise car now because of what Spike just said. That's been an agreed thing for a while no matter what. If I'm going to race something I'm going to purpose build one out of a rolling chassis or a tired car in need of a refresh.

TBH as well, Spike.. there are better cars than this to start with. Even the engine in this car would need to be torn down before real track racing were to start. It's going to be a DD/fun car. Again.. if I'm going to have a super happy fun car.. I'm going to build one.

Better to build one to break than break one you don't want to.. and that's the case with this one. Make any sense or is it just me at 1:30?
Old 07-23-2011, 01:18 AM   #132
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabo View Post
I'm not racing this one. Her days are over, pretty much a show/cruise car now because of what Spike just said. That's been an agreed thing for a while no matter what. If I'm going to race something I'm going to purpose build one out of a rolling chassis or a tired car in need of a refresh.

TBH as well, Spike.. there are better cars than this to start with. Even the engine in this car would need to be torn down before real track racing were to start. It's going to be a DD/fun car. Again.. if I'm going to have a super happy fun car.. I'm going to build one.

Better to build one to break than break one you don't want to.. and that's the case with this one. Make any sense or is it just me at 1:30?
why waste the money building two cars?
why would you need to tear down the stock motor? just freshen it up and throw a H/C package on it, maybe a lil spray and cut some mustang doors off

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 07-23-2011, 03:53 AM   #133
helmincamaro
Official Lounge BAMF

Drives: '97 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to helmincamaro Send a message via Yahoo to helmincamaro
Quote:
drive it hard off the lift. breaking it close to the shop = cheaper towing bill

break it soon enough and just push it back . Make sure you beat the snot out of it going up a hill so you can coast it back to the shop
Old 07-23-2011, 06:26 AM   #134
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Quote:
why waste the money building two cars?
why would you need to tear down the stock motor? just freshen it up and throw a H/C package on it, maybe a lil spray and cut some mustang doors off
Why not? Seriously.. what's the harm in having two Fbodies? Or 3? All in different stages of build/beef/mustang rapeage capability? Cost?

That's why you make sure you can afford it. As for tearing down the stock motor, maybe I want to be finicky and ass backwards in my own methodology?

I'm Zabo, not an engineer or pro mechanic with years of experience like you in racing and tearing these down. It's why I asked your opinion and advice (so I guess this is the response I should have expected..). Maybe on the next one I'll 'do it right'?

And really guys, I appreciate the enthusiasm of waiting for the rear quarter of this car to break loose from the rest of it in a catastrophic wreck. Just remember to tell the undertaker to toss the whole mass in the hole so I can be buried with it
Old 07-23-2011, 09:28 AM   #135
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Why not? Seriously.. what's the harm in having two Fbodies? Or 3? All in different stages of build/beef/mustang rapeage capability? Cost?

That's why you make sure you can afford it. As for tearing down the stock motor, maybe I want to be finicky and ass backwards in my own methodology?

I'm Zabo, not an engineer or pro mechanic with years of experience like you in racing and tearing these down. It's why I asked your opinion and advice (so I guess this is the response I should have expected..). Maybe on the next one I'll 'do it right'?

And really guys, I appreciate the enthusiasm of waiting for the rear quarter of this car to break loose from the rest of it in a catastrophic wreck. Just remember to tell the undertaker to toss the whole mass in the hole so I can be buried with it

trust me, I've had 3 or 4 Fbodies at one time and unless you run a motorsports shop or have oodles of money, it gets hard to do anything for long periods of time.

not saying you aren't doing things right, just giving you my opinions after being in similar situations. I hate wasting money. I hate seeing my friends wasting money. its like watching Barret Jackson auctions where guys blow $60,000 on a numbers matching Hemi Cuda, then spend $150,000 on a resto mod (once a v6 car, now a built 440) Cuda.

sometimes its better to cut your losses. I'm not a pro mechanic. I know a lot, but (and you can ask any of the mods or PQ or Kyle2k or a lot of people) the majority of my knowledge is from ****ing things up and wasting thousands (if not tens of thousands) of dollars trying to make things work. And it kills me to see my camaro bretheren following my trail of disappointment on their journey of knowledge. which is why I'm on here as much as I can be to help spread what I know and what I have learned to help others in their pursuit of power.

as for the rear. I'm not saying it will break, but...

its just like the output shaft on the 5th gens. drive the car hard and break it early and get that part over with instead of always being afraid that when you need it to hold up that it "might" let go

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 07-23-2011, 09:57 AM   #136
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Quote:
trust me, I've had 3 or 4 Fbodies at one time and unless you run a motorsports shop or have oodles of money, it gets hard to do anything for long periods of time.

not saying you aren't doing things right, just giving you my opinions after being in similar situations. I hate wasting money. I hate seeing my friends wasting money. its like watching Barret Jackson auctions where guys blow $60,000 on a numbers matching Hemi Cuda, then spend $150,000 on a resto mod (once a v6 car, now a built 440) Cuda.

sometimes its better to cut your losses. I'm not a pro mechanic. I know a lot, but (and you can ask any of the mods or PQ or Kyle2k or a lot of people) the majority of my knowledge is from ****ing things up and wasting thousands (if not tens of thousands) of dollars trying to make things work. And it kills me to see my camaro bretheren following my trail of disappointment on their journey of knowledge. which is why I'm on here as much as I can be to help spread what I know and what I have learned to help others in their pursuit of power.

as for the rear. I'm not saying it will break, but...

its just like the output shaft on the 5th gens. drive the car hard and break it early and get that part over with instead of always being afraid that when you need it to hold up that it "might" let go
Daww.. Spike: The older Camaro bro I never had.

Totally get where you're coming from, though. But truth be told.. shit breaks, and money walks out the door faster than it walks in. Just like the constants of death and taxes.. part of life. I'm ready to just grin and bear it even if I want to put myself through the glass store window of the local shop.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:31 AM   #137
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Daww.. Spike: The older Camaro bro I never had.

Totally get where you're coming from, though. But truth be told.. shit breaks, and money walks out the door faster than it walks in. Just like the constants of death and taxes.. part of life. I'm ready to just grin and bear it even if I want to put myself through the glass store window of the local shop.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 07-24-2011, 02:47 PM   #138
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Bump for 'ditch the vinyl' for something better.

1 can universal gloss black

1 can clear

1 pen of GM Gold Metallic paint.

Yeah, I'm hand painting my bird over the decal. Also probably gonna hit the 'Pontiac' lettering on the left eyelid and clear that too.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:16 PM   #139
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Bump.. for a damn good reason.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:21 PM   #140
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Bump.. for a damn good reason.

looks good. now lose the front plate and get a new hood..

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:

Closed Thread