Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 01-19-2018, 05:45 AM   #29
batman53201
Account not blocked

Drives: The Batmobile
Arizona
Old 01-19-2018, 06:21 AM   #30
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
I'm voting NC, I lived on the East Coast for 20 years before moving to Indy (work brought me away). Before living on the coast, I lived in Hickory, NC, mountains. When I retire, I will return to NC, most likely the coastal region. They are good people, nice, southern, beautiful country, quiet.

Like others have said, depends on what you truly want to do. Some people just love a big city, some people love the quietness of the country. In NC, I can hunt, fish, vacation on the warm beaches, travel to the mountains for a retreat and no matter where I will be at in NC, I know the southern tradition of kindness will always be there.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:36 AM   #31
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDoug View Post
Lol, I was curious of your age, as I used to enjoy all 4 seasons, now it's pretty much fall. Cooler temps, low allergies, usually less rain.

Virginia? Radar detectors are illegal, not an option.
Even worse in VA, prepare to drill your front bumper for a license plate bracket. I'm from there and that's the deal breaker for me. Or you could just ignore it, like I do here in NY.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:13 AM   #32
Trickskier
Native Floridian

Drives: 2014 - ZL1 / 2003 - Corvette
If you want to say goodbye to COLD weather move to Florida. I'm a native Floridian and wouldn't consider living anywhere else. I plan to retire in the Daytona Beach area (Ormond Beach or Daytona Beach Shores). Tons of good restaurants two big Car Shows at Daytona International Speedway (Spring & Fall). Two NASCAR Races The Daytona 500 & Coke Zero 400. Bike Week & Biketober. Shorts & Flip Flops year round. No State Income Tax. Less than an hour away to Disney World & Universal Studios.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:28 AM   #33
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by theragtopguy View Post
I am looking at retiring in about 2.5 years myself. Probably gonna end up in Florida, north of Tampa. Nice area there and houses are relatively inexpensive. Plus there is no State income tax down there either.

Have had my fill of the cold and snow and ice up here in Pennsylvania.
My parents are retired and live in Dade City.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:17 AM   #34
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
I'm voting NC, I lived on the East Coast for 20 years before moving to Indy (work brought me away). Before living on the coast, I lived in Hickory, NC, mountains. When I retire, I will return to NC, most likely the coastal region. They are good people, nice, southern, beautiful country, quiet.

Like others have said, depends on what you truly want to do. Some people just love a big city, some people love the quietness of the country. In NC, I can hunt, fish, vacation on the warm beaches, travel to the mountains for a retreat and no matter where I will be at in NC, I know the southern tradition of kindness will always be there.
I love NC too. Been on many hunting trips there. Alway had a great time and the weather was great.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:20 AM   #35
KYVOM1LE

Drives: 2023 2SS 1LE
I suggest you make plans to come to the CamaroFest 8 event and bring a notebook as am sure you can get many many opinions on the best place to retire (especially at night at parking lot party, adult libations will be the truth serium). And I will give you a page full of retirement benefits of the Bowling Green, Ky area.
KYVOM1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:32 PM   #36
pump905

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs black with white rally
Laughlin NM they don’t tax that pension close to Las Vegas, Cal, sodona az
Old 01-19-2018, 02:55 PM   #37
DDoug

Drives: '13 Inferno Orange ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by The camaro show View Post
Pittsburgh if you like the seasons or cape may NJ it’s very laid back but still cold or Panama City beach fl
In Pittsburgh 1-2 times a year, it's nice, but too cold. Never been to NJ except while watching "Soprano's" lol, good driving roads?

I don't think Florida offers enough exiting roads for what I'm after.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:22 PM   #38
DDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post

One question is how well set up are you financially? Are you a warm weather person, or do you also like to do things like Skiing. Boating? Do you like beaches and the ocean or the mountains.

Personally, I like ALL types of terrain. It's why I plan to retire north of Seattle. Summers here are amazing, and I really don't mind the rain at all. I grew up in L.A., and though I love the desert, I'd prefer living in a place with plants, rivers, lakes, green trees, and ocean and snow capped mountains...all within 2 hours of Seattle.

I also don't really ever want to live in a city again...I just prefer quiet and little to no traffic. That was why I was living on Camano Island up until recently.

I would also love to live in the mountains near Denver by a nice winding river. I even know the house I want, though I have no idea if they would ever sell. Was one of the most spectacular views I've seen.
Financially, I can retire in 5 years at 51 years old, no problem, if I live my current situation and live reasonably (Based on 85% of current salary and the "4% rule." I may work longer to satisfy a couple bucket list things, like an around the world cruise. That said, to live as I do now, but in California, would cost twice my current situation, so not really an option.

I like temperate temperatures, I keep my house at 69 in winter and 76 in summer. I'd like this range of weather, lol. 100 degrees for 3 months is too hot, and I wouldn't cry if I never saw a freezing temperature again. Lows of 45 to highs of 85 with 300 days of sun would be ideal.

I've taken my most expensive vacations always in the mountains. My favorite city I've ever visited was Banff, Alberta in Canada, BUT only in the summer to fall months, way too much winter for me.

Not a boater, but I enjoy watching the boats come to dock. I find it very relaxing to hang out along Lake Michigan summer evenings watching the boats come to port, but it isn't a must.

I'm not sure I could handle the rain of Seattle. Been there once, but I've been in Vancouver for a week, twice, a total of 16 days. Saw 1 day of sun, very nice, but the rain got old.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:32 PM   #39
DDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef-beavis View Post
Tennessee. My dad lives there (retired). Beautiful. M i ld, mostly. No property tax.
I liked Eastern Tennessee, but unless you're hunting and fishing, there didn't seem to be much else to do. I have a cousin in middle Tennessee, Murfreesboro, and didn't see much that kept my interest.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:42 PM   #40
DDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkVFR View Post
South Alabama
Pretty good car scene..ALWAYS something going on.
Weather/12 months of driving days/no snow (worth mentioning anyway)
Not to far from Tail of the Dragon
Close to the beaches, Panama City, Fort Walton etc.
Hunting
Fishing
Football
More football
Great Food
NASCAR
Close to Vengeance
and if you really, really, REALLY like your cousin...we’re ok with that.
Looks interesting, thanks!

What is Vengeance? Is that an Alabama/Clemson thing?

And, um, no ... on that last one. Lol
Old 01-19-2018, 03:48 PM   #41
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDoug View Post
Looks interesting, thanks!

What is Vengeance? Is that an Alabama/Clemson thing?

And, um, no ... on that last one. Lol

https://vengeanceracing.net/

One of the top shops...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:50 PM   #42
DDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13DuskKY View Post
I suggest you make plans to come to the CamaroFest 8 event and bring a notebook as am sure you can get many many opinions on the best place to retire (especially at night at parking lot party, adult libations will be the truth serium). And I will give you a page full of retirement benefits of the Bowling Green, Ky area.
I DO like bourbon, but I struggled to find fun roads. I found a LOT of ok to nice, but not as many really good to great. Also, I was down there for one of your ice storms. That was rough!