Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-04-2010, 11:09 AM   #267
Sax1031

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
my favorite code name was the Terminator. It did come and destroy.
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:10 AM   #268
Mailman

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneda View Post
...And lastly, I highly doubt that this mule represents the final look of the car. If it looks like Bumblee from TF3, I will buy one immediately.

Gotta agree with this one. It is a fine looking ride for sure!

Ride life with your windows down!
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:11 AM   #269
ViperTomcat
Banned

Drives: 2011 Avenger Heat
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFly03 View Post
On a different note, I am hard pressed to believe that fully optioned out the Z will break 50. My gut says it will be close (49-49.5) but I don't think it will break the 50 barrier. It doesn't make sense.
And a fully optioned out SS with the 21" wheels breaking 40 does?

The GT500 already busts right through 50 when optioned out (with the SVT pack, navigation, etc).

Its unreasonable to expect any different from the Z
ViperTomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:11 AM   #270
racer515

Drives: Various
kaneda,

I will never lease a sports car. Made that mistake once and never again. I pay cash now for the toys.
racer515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:13 AM   #271
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
...And if the SRT8 is pushing the same with that podunk block under it's hood Chrysler better be looking into something like a 7.2L 440.

Already got the Gas Guzzler tax comining on all three; so lets make this a Nuclear war.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:16 AM   #272
ViperTomcat
Banned

Drives: 2011 Avenger Heat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabo View Post
...And if the SRT8 is pushing the same with that podunk block under it's hood Chrysler better be looking into something like a 7.5L 440.

Already got the Gas Guzzler tax comining on all three; so lets make this a Nuclear war.
No GG on the 2011 GT500. SRT supposed to get a 6.4L 480-500 HP/TQ motor.
ViperTomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:24 AM   #273
Sax1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperTomcat View Post
No GG on the 2011 GT500.
yep no gas guzzler tax on the GT500.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:38 AM   #274
syr74
Account Suspended

Drives: Thunderbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
and you assume they will? also they don't warranty their engines as long as GM does. so their durability tests can last shorter.
You do understand that it doesn't actually work like that? Ford has some of the toughest engine durability standards in the industry. As for longer warranties, ever known anybody who owned a Northstar-powered Cadillac? We used to call them the 100k mile hand grenade because, at 100k, it was virtually like pulling a pin on one of the old pienapples, they almost always blow in short order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing
by slapping on a blower that pushes more air that will shorten the life of the engine no matter how you look at it. the real point is why would they if they can get some poor sap to part ways with more money?
Again, it doesn't work like that. The TVS makes superior power relative to the traditional rootes blower because of increased efficiency at a given level of boost. That means more power with less heat, and less heat always means superior engine life all else being equal.
syr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:54 AM   #275
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by syr74 View Post
Again, it doesn't work like that. The TVS makes superior power relative to the traditional rootes blower because of increased efficiency at a given level of boost. That means more power with less heat, and less heat always means superior engine life all else being equal.
So what you are saying, in the same engine boost is boost? No matter how much horsepower you are pushing (depending on the flow of the heads). An engine making 700hp with 9lb's of boost, and one making 625 with 9lb's of boost, will have the same reliability in the end?
Old 08-04-2010, 11:59 AM   #276
espo19047

Drives: Impala
Send a message via AIM to espo19047
Quote:
Originally Posted by codo View Post
the thing I dont understand is why all the badges are covered up? can someone explain that to me?

what I'm most curious about now is what the actual Z/28 badges will look like...I hope they go for something retro.

gonna call the dealership soon and see if they can give me any info, at least put my name on a list to get contacted when this becomes official
I would suggest you keep looking here. I work at a dealer and I am here all the time. I find out everything here before it becomes official.
espo19047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:10 PM   #277
svttim

Drives: 2008 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneda View Post
Wow, love reading all of the excitement around this test mule. Full disclosure, I work on the GM Communications team, but I know about as much as all of you about the upcoming Z28. What I offer here is my own personal opinion and not the opinions of GM. Also, full disclosure, my pops drives a 2010 GT500 Mustang, so I can't wait to see what Chevy throws at that awesome car.

First, the 2011 SVT Track Pack Edition GT500 is an amazing car. So I'm not shocked we're testing the Z against it. At that level of performance, I don't think we're going to see one car drastically outperform the other. Why? Two things, weight and price.

Both cars tip the scale around 4,000lbs. Not light by any means. Both cars have supercharged V8 engines (again, not sure what powerplant will be in the Z28, but from the spy photo, it looks like it's using the Caddy V engine). There's only so much you can do with this type of set up before the power just signifigantly over powers the rear wheels. Ford and GM want to sell cars people can enjoy, not kill themsleves in (ala the Viper, which is a completely rediculous vehicle that would bite 99% of drivers out there). If Ford is offering 550, I doubt Chevy will be beat that by a lot. But knowing the fan boys, if Chevy offered 555, the owners would say they could "really feel that extra 5 ponies"

Cost: This car needs to be less than 55K (and even that's pushing it). The great thing about muscle cars from yesteryears is that they didn't break the bank. Once you start charging too much, consumers expect more than just performance. They expect better materials, a nicer interior, a more upscale dealership experience. Yeah, yeah, I know, muscle car guys could care less about any of this, and you're probably right. To me the interior of the Z28 means more to me than the engine. Why? Because Ford offers an amazing interior in the Shelby. The Shelby has so many modern amenities and design cues (cueball shifter, two tone seats, sync...etc).

And lastly, the Z28 and Shelby no matter how many tweaks they get will ever compete directly with a Corvette. One reason: weight. The Vette is a pure sports car and handles and behaves like one. I drove a Grand Sport Vette for a weekend and it completely put my dad's 2010 Shelby to shame. You just can't get a 4000lb car to turn in and dart the same way a 3200lb car does.

And lastly, I highly doubt that this mule represents the final look of the car. If it looks like Bumblee from TF3, I will buy one immediately.
Very well Said!

I must say, Im a bit confsed with the Z, Of course thats becasue of my age. Back in the day, the SS had the big motor and was the car you wanted to go straight fast, the Z28 was a more refined high winding smallblock made to compete in the curves. With the introduction of the Boss 302, its going to seem starnge that they are not segmented with each other
svttim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:33 PM   #278
Sax1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by svttim View Post
Very well Said!

I must say, Im a bit confsed with the Z, Of course thats becasue of my age. Back in the day, the SS had the big motor and was the car you wanted to go straight fast, the Z28 was a more refined high winding smallblock made to compete in the curves. With the introduction of the Boss 302, its going to seem starnge that they are not segmented with each other
I agree that with the return of the Boss their won't be a Z competing with it.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:44 PM   #279
CrimsonHowitzer

Drives: 2-70 Camaros,40 chev 2dr sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight_Rider View Post

I now work for a supplier company and we had a Z28 in our garage but it had a different back end. The lights in the back were shaped differently. It had other slightly different exterior features. I have some pics on my iPhone. It could have been just a test mule or it could have been a full prototype I don't know.

These are the pics I want to see.... The changes to the rear could be the thing that makes me wait for the Z instead of getting the SLP. But if you show them black Suburbans will show up and guys with sunglasses and bad suits will take your iphone.
CrimsonHowitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:51 PM   #280
stand-al0ne
Rev Couture

Drives: 2010 LS Camaro & 2013 Rav4 Ltd
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperTomcat View Post
No GG on the 2011 GT500. SRT supposed to get a 6.4L 480-500 HP/TQ motor.
I'm excited to see that new SRT-8...hell, I'm excited to see all three in a R&T heads up match. We live in a good time