Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-14-2018, 03:37 PM   #1
IanCC

Drives: Summit White V6 M6 NPP
Sticky 2nd gear in cold weather anyone?

Cold as in below 0 Celsius (32 F) and my manual shift into second gear is really hard. As in two or three seconds before it finally slips in. I can feel it in warmer weather too, but it's much more pronounced lately with the cold. It's a 2017 V6 Manual with 13,000 km (8000 miles). Anyone else have this issue? I'm guessing its a transmission problem and not the shifter.
IanCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:46 PM   #2
HyperspaceTurd

Drives: 17 1SS 6MT, 09 Tacoma TRD Sport
Manual transmissions are typically harder to shift when they are ice cold. It's the nature of the beast. The syncros don't work too great until the fluid is up to temp, right viscosity yadda yadda...
HyperspaceTurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:34 PM   #3
MSMYYC
@maplefed

Drives: 16' MBM 2SS,
Try changing the trans fluid. This helped my cold shifting. Royal Purple Syncromesh or Amsoil ATF.

At 0 degrees however, it is the nature of the beast, take it slow. But I do think an aftermarket fluid change would help this.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:27 PM   #4
Lukemo

Drives: '17 1LT RS V6 6M NPP
Mine is the same way. I'd say it's normal. Every manual I've ever had is harder to shift when very cold. Just be patient with it until it's warmed up.
Lukemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:22 AM   #5
Sleeks

Drives: None
Yup. My E46 M3 was way worse, but I generally just skip second gear for a while until the car is fully warm. Just go from 1 to 3.

Hyper Blue 1SS / 1LE
Sleeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:08 PM   #6
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Maybe I'm just used to it, been frigid here in NE (~0-10F) for the last couple weeks (minus a day or two in the 40's... it's New England) and mine's been a tad bit more on the notch-y side, but I wouldn't say "hard" to shift.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:20 PM   #7
pjz1082

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeks View Post
Yup. My E46 M3 was way worse, but I generally just skip second gear for a while until the car is fully warm. Just go from 1 to 3.
This! Seems to be the best option, IMO.
pjz1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 03:11 PM   #8
Dubchitts

Drives: '17 Red hot 2ss, 16 Focus RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukemo View Post
Mine is the same way. I'd say it's normal. Every manual I've ever had is harder to shift when very cold. Just be patient with it until it's warmed up.
It doesn't warm up. We have tranny coolers in the (at least in the ss). At45° mine would not even register 100° in the trans after an hour of drivibg. I parked it early for winter. And am switching to redline D4. The factory fluid is garbage.

Afe Air Filter//BMR MM010 Motor Mounts, Safety Loop//Custom OTR Intake//Flex Fuel Kit//Gforce 3.5" Aluminum Driveshaft//GM 95mm TB//Katech Oil Pump, Piston Squirters//Kooks 1-7/8 LT//LT4 Fueling//Mighty Mouse Wild//Monster Clutch LT1-S Triple Disc//MSD 2-Step//Pray Performance Custom Spec Cam, Ported Holley Hi-Ram//Sikky 12" Shifter w OEM Knob Mod//Tick Level 1 Tr6060//Labor by Me//Tune By Pray Performance
Dubchitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:47 PM   #9
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanCC View Post
Cold as in below 0 Celsius (32 F) and my manual shift into second gear is really hard. As in two or three seconds before it finally slips in. I can feel it in warmer weather too, but it's much more pronounced lately with the cold. It's a 2017 V6 Manual with 13,000 km (8000 miles). Anyone else have this issue? I'm guessing its a transmission problem and not the shifter.
I also have a 1LT V6 (2016) manual and its my daily driver here in cold Connecticut. I replaced the trans fluid with a correct spec Dexron VI full synthetic and it makes a world of difference. The factory fill is not synthetic.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:16 PM   #10
IanCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSMYYC View Post
Try changing the trans fluid. This helped my cold shifting. Royal Purple Syncromesh or Amsoil ATF.

At 0 degrees however, it is the nature of the beast, take it slow. But I do think an aftermarket fluid change would help this.
Thanks Maple. Love your build, bro.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:19 PM   #11
IanCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
I also have a 1LT V6 (2016) manual and its my daily driver here in cold Connecticut. I replaced the trans fluid with a correct spec Dexron VI full synthetic and it makes a world of difference. The factory fill is not synthetic.
Good to know. Thanks for the tip. I do think it still might be something with the tranny as I feel it in warmer weather too and ONLY in second gear. Not first or third. And my old Toyota Celica manual never had an issue in the cold.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:42 AM   #12
Lukemo

Drives: '17 1LT RS V6 6M NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubchitts View Post
It doesn't warm up. We have tranny coolers in the (at least in the ss). At45° mine would not even register 100° in the trans after an hour of drivibg. I parked it early for winter. And am switching to redline D4. The factory fluid is garbage.
His transmission fluid does not stay at 32 degrees. Mine doesn't stay at 2 degrees (if it's been sitting all night in this temperature). Of course it warms up and thins out just like engine oil. I would think normal operating temp should be around 195.

Last edited by Lukemo; 01-16-2018 at 08:52 AM.
Lukemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:54 AM   #13
NUCAR

Drives: 68 big block
Changed to Redline D4. It helped. Before you move shift through all the gears while sitting. You may have to start in the 3-4 gate. It helps.
NUCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 12:24 PM   #14
fahimghaffar

Drives: 2018 Camaro ss
I have a camaro ss 2018

I am having same 2nd gear issue. One the customer got it fixed and found out that is a defective transmission housing. Here is the link to the video. https://youtu.be/FxngwiF7_Wg

GM knows about it but they are telling their dealer to tell customers that it is normal. Everybody, we need to report this issue to NHTSA.gov. Here is the link for that https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

All these camaoros have defected transmision housing which is causing multiple symtoms. For example, hard to shift to 2nd when upshift or downsift, 2nd gear popping out and shift into neutral, missing 2nd gear and sometime grinding.
I spoke to 2 dealers and they both have different openion. One says that i need skip shift eliminater and the other one says that it is normal to have symtoms like that also Advised me not to use the 2nd gear. Which is bad beacuse we spent a fortune buying this car and then we are unable the use 2nd gear.

Please everybody, go NHTSA website and file a complain because they are not going to fix it until government institution files a lawsuit against GM
fahimghaffar is offline   Reply With Quote