Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-15-2012, 09:43 AM   #127
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Did not read thru the entire thread - but can tell you that GM is trademarking various nameplates and brand names -- Z28 happens to be one of many.

I will keep keeping the faith thank you very much.....

ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #128
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan @ Southwest Speed View Post
Where's it fit in the lineup?? Above or below the ZL1?

I'd think below but the 1LE kinda took that spot so I don't know where the thunder could be personally.

Just curious how the public receives it.....
Ivan
I dont think 1LE took anything. 1LE has no extra power. Its basically just a track pack. Ford and Dodge have similar packages, they just dont name them. Theres a reason it doenst have a badge or anything for 1LE.

I think theres no room for something under the SS, since the SS already has ZERO bells and whistles, barely any markings or body changes at all.

Theres no room for something above the ZL1, a supercharged 6.2l, with magnetic ride, etc, what more would they do? I doubt GM will ever S/C the 7.0L.

So the Z28 will be inbetween ZL1 and SS, im thinking maybe that it will be kinda like the 4th gen SS and Z28, but reversed. The SS now becomes the sleeper with no exterior upgrades vs the base model v6.
The Z28 becomes the flashy exterior car with the same SS engine, but plus a few hp due to an intake, tune, or something along those lines. And a suspension upgrade somewhere, possibly incorporating the 1LE package.

the 98 Z28 was literally a v6 car with the LS1 and a diff rear end, and black dual exhaust. The SS was the Z28 with chrome exhaust, a hood scoop, taller spoiler, flashier badging in side and out, suspension upgrade, and a better intake.

Somewhere in the future, the L99 and LS3 wont have enough power, so they will make a new engine. I doubt that a base V8 will be blown any time soon. So i still think the next gen SS and Z28 will have a N/A engine, with the z28 having 30 or so more ponies, and some suspension upgrades. Along with a conventional scoop hood, and a different spoiler. With different badging. The SS will become the sleeper
Old 09-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #129
Black on Black
Smokin Bowties Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS
Just when all the Z28 talk starts to fade away after the 1LE debut.....GM steps in and strirs the pot....there is no way in hell that there wouldnt be a fifth gen Z28......1LE now or Z28 later...decisions
Old 09-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #130
GaBoy25

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6/2500HD Lmm LTZ
Great I'm at work with a boner

2500HD (with a couple parts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
I wonder if this could be why my car idles like its retarded...
GaBoy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #131
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
It just keeps getting better, Go Detroit!!! Make us proud,
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:19 AM   #132
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
This is VERY interesting... The original Z28 had the high winding 302... Maybe it will have the supercharged 5.3 from the COPO... That would rock.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:23 AM   #133
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Today's GM isn't the same company it was in the past. It's quite evident by what they've done that the Camaro team of today isn't just a couple of guys in the marketing department who's job is to come up with marketing names to squeeze more sales out of the market year after year.

The 5th gen Camaro wasn't just a retro remake; it was a brand new first class design and effort. The ZL1 wasn't just a regular Camaro with an "official" supercharger so they could market it with more horsepower; it was a serious technology rework of an SS but it was/is still a street car. The 1LE is a track pack option for an SS and it's a noteworthy upgrade in many areas you wouldn't expect; many heavy areas like transmission, coolers, differential, hubs, axles, etc. instead of just stiffer shocks and sway bars. It's clearly a great package for the weekend warrior who likes to run HPDE and autocross events and for the price it's unbeatable...but it's still not a race car.

The Camaro team has demonstrated a great deal of thought and "we get it" in the things they've done to each of those performance models. The fact the ZL1 was NOT labelled as a Z/28 shows they very much "get it" as to what the Z/28 needs to be. Another thing they have to keep in mind is whatever they do with the Z/28 it has to be able to meet cafe standards coming up; which means doing something different than what we've seen in the past.

The Z/28 is going to be a track car you can legally drive on the street; not a street car with some track upgrades... that's what the 1LE is and I don't see that being replaced by the Z/28. Based on the thought evident in the ZL1's technology and the heavy-duty component upgrades seen in the 1LE, I suspect they're working on a serious track car which will use technology as much as possible but still be legal for racing (i.e. no magnetic suspension). It will fit between the 1LE and the ZL1 price-wise; not have as much power as the ZL1 but out-perform it on the track. They've gone to school on the ZL1 and 1LE with the 5th gen and I think it almost has to be a 6th gen model due to the amount of "reworking" it would require on the 5th gen. I don't think it will use an LS7; most likely it will have the next generation V8 for emission and technology reasons.

Price: I see it at around $44,995 base model which for most people will be the one they buy; it will be the one for the guy who hardly ever actually races but sure wants to look and sound like they do on the street. They want to be seen in a Z/28 and be the center of attention wherever they go. Probably use the 1LE wheel package. It will be one helluva street car.

Upgrades will be things strictly for racing. For performance, smaller wheels; 19's or maybe even 18's that are very lightweight. Poly bushing upgrades ala Pedder's, Pfadt, etc. The interior will have racing seat options, 5-point racing belts with mounting points, Hans-device ready, possible interior roll bar with rear seat removed, and a fire extinguisher driver-accessible. Technology: gauges, instruments and electronics all geared towards racing. Cameras front and rear that can tie in to dash controls for recording laps. Wireless technology that can transmit performance telemetry to either your smart phone or through the roof antenna to your pit crew. You'll be able to record your laps and view all the data super-imposed over the camera footage. Driver-selectable track modes for long tracks or short tracks. And most likely they'll include things we never thought of or thought they would.

Price for the upgrade package will add another $5k so the Z/28 with upgrades will be about $49,995.

This car will beat the ZL1's track record on the Nurburgring. It will beat the track record of cars costing much much more. ZR1 owners are going to want one. GT-R owners are going to be ill. BMW owners are going to be quiet and hope a Z/28 doesn't show up at their track session, but they'll all be standing around it asking questions if one does. Porsche owners will try to ignore it. Mustang owners will be talking about the "next" model from Ford that will beat the Z/28 so they can have something to talk about when talking to Z/28 owners. The Z/28 will begin a new racing legacy and become every bit the legend it's predecessor was.

I'm going to want one...I...don't.....nee..eeed...it...I....don't... ..

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #134
GRAHL
workaholic

Drives: 69 SS Lemans Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutal SS View Post
I am really hoping that the Z28 will be something really over the top; something that may even make the mighty ZL1 humble.

I know that sounds a bit far fetched, but if it turns out to be true, I for one will have my 2SS shined up and ready to trade!

To me, that would be the only status that would be worthy of the rebirth of the Z28 moniker; to be the absolute undisputed king of all modern day muscle for years to come!
Exactly. They've been saving that name, so I also agree it's going to be the baddest camaro in the lineup. I mean, come on, the ZL1 was never a track car in the 60's. Chevy doesn't HAVE to follow the same script. But one thing is for sure, since the 5th gen was inspired by the '69, the most revered '69 is the Z/28, and since early on the Chevy brass have hinted to us that they're saving it for something special.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:38 PM   #135
Birm

Drives: Florida Speed & Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
I see no room for a Z/28 while the 1LE is being offered. After all, they are basically the same thing. Track cars.

Maybe on the 6th Gen but I don't see it happening on the 5th Gen at all.
My thoughts as well..
Birm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #136
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Did not read thru the entire thread - but can tell you that GM is trademarking various nameplates and brand names -- Z28 happens to be one of many.
So then is not the first move in reviving the Z/28? I know, I know, stay tuned right?
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #137
rstawara

Drives: 11 Black SS M6
LS7 and a base weight near 3k and you have yourself a potent Z28
rstawara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #138
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Z/28 will be 6thGen.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:08 PM   #139
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarswimmer22 View Post
Could someone be so kind to explain what the signifigance behind the Z28 is? What is the difference between the Z28 and the SS? I have done my own research, but I know you guys know your camaros so I wanted to ask.
A Z/28 was built for a SCCA race course. The z/28 came with a 302 which I think was the max size to run in that event. The Boss Mustang 302 was its main rival in the event.
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:10 PM   #140
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
GM will have to come up with another 302 somewhere if the want to remain true.
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote