Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 12-18-2013, 12:07 PM   #1
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Q about P0410 code SES light AIR system fault

I originally posted this over at ls1tech.com, but nobody seems to know the answer, want to answer, or knows the answer and just isn't sharing it:

2002 Z28, 74K miles. Yesterday got an SES light, scanner code P0410. No other codes seen.

I tried a search for info with this system. First inclination was to remove it all and tune it, but it's the wife's car and she said no.

Searching the forums, I found this handy:

http://www.gearchatter.com/viewtopic9013.php

Good to know I'd already done most of these checks. The AIR pump relay is verified to be good, so I decided to check operation. Pulled the fenderwell AIR pump hose connection apart. Then started up cold. Interestingly, NO AIR pump discharge was felt, and pulled the intake line from the air cleaner and no suction- thus the pump isn't working even at full cold startup.

However, the weird thing is that the hose going to the air injection cutoff valve to both check valves was pulse sucking air IN to the hose. I figured if the check valves were leaking, they would push exhaust out the hose. I checked with a piece of paper and sure enough, it was pulse sucking. And doing a pretty good job of it. So I don't think there was any flow restrictions.

So I'm confident there's no exhaust coming back, indicating the checkvalves must be operating correctly.

I put the fenderwell hoses back together, then checked at the pump suction at the air cleaner and felt suction pulses there too. So the sucking was pulling through the pump from the air cleaner.

After the engine started to warm up, the solenoid that controlled the air injection cutoff valve vacuum kicked on and the cutoff valve closed and the sucking stopped. So I'm kinda confident the air injection cutoff valve is working as well.

So I'm 99% confident the AIR pump is hosed and replacing it will restore proper operation and I can clear the code. Have a new GM one on the way.

Has anyone heard of this sucking phenomenon? Is is due to the educator effect on the exhaust manifold actually drawing in air through the checkvalves during the exhaust evacuation in the manifold?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
73camarolt

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
I have this same code, but i deleted my air system, tuner forgot to tune it out haha so im no help.