Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 12-31-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
MR.Sarge

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE
Technostalgia tail lights hyperflashing

So my technostalgia tail lights are acting up in a weird way and don't know the reason why. Basically every time I signal left now, the sequential works perfectly for the first 3 flashes but after that the check left turn signal warning appears on the DIC and when looking at the rear tail lights when signaling, the inner most light on the driver side hyper flashes 2-3 times the normal rate it should. My first thought was it had to be the resistor that went bad and needs replacing. So to test, I changed the resistor wires (since there's 1 for each light) for both driver side tail lights to see if the other would hyperflash, but it doesn't it's still the same innermost light that is hyper flashing. If it's not the resistor from what I see, anyone know what would be wrong with the tail light to cause it to hyperflash?

UPDATE: figured out the cause: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...6&postcount=36

Last edited by MR.Sarge; 01-03-2014 at 08:56 PM.
MR.Sarge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.Sarge View Post
So my technostalgia tail lights are acting up in a weird way and don't know the reason why. Basically every time I signal left now, the sequential works perfectly for the first 3 flashes but after that the check left turn signal warning appears on the DIC and when looking at the rear tail lights when signaling, the inner most light on the driver side hyper flashes 2-3 times the normal rate it should. My first thought was it had to be the resistor that went bad and needs replacing. So to test, I changed the resistor wires (since there's 1 for each light) for both driver side tail lights to see if the other would hyperflash, but it doesn't it's still the same innermost light that is hyper flashing. If it's not the resistor from what I see, anyone know what would be wrong with the tail light to cause it to hyperflash?
Still could be the resistor even though you switched wires, maybe if one is bad it affects the inner light first that's the first one to sequence. I'd contact Cool-LEDS btw...how long have you had them isntalled?
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
bluetooth-ss

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS A6 and 2018 2500
If you have a ohm meter,check the resistance on the resistors.Should be around 7 ohms.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:32 PM   #4
MR.Sarge

I did check with the Ohm meter and the resistors are fine. all read 7 Ohms when measured. The issue is definitely from the light itself. Just not sure why it works fine when signalling a lane change but when you click it on for a left turn, after the 3rd flash it goes berserk? If anyone has any ideas as to what the cause is in the light itself I am all ears. I'll fix it myself if I know the cause, sending back to technostalgia isn't an option anymore. I have had too many issues with the damn thing that I had to fix that if I can't get it fixed myself it's back to stock and they go up for sale for whatever I can get. Tired of issues with these lights constantly coming up and shipping it back and forth to get fixed, that sh*t gets old real fast.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:34 PM   #5
camguynj

How long have you have them installed?
Old 12-31-2013, 09:45 PM   #6
MR.Sarge

Just over a year, pretty much about a year and 3 months now?
Old 12-31-2013, 10:03 PM   #7
jmontalvo

Drives: 2011 Rally Yellow 2LS
Something similar happened to me but on my STOCK tail lights back in July. The way I fixed it? I punched the tail light a couple of times and it worked. Hasn't messed up since. Maybe this can help you as well lol
|Trifecta Tune|Custom Magnaflow Exhaust|Cold Air Inductions C.A.I.|BBK LTs w/ HFC|Anvil Rear Notch Glossy CF Spoiler|Body Color Heritage Grille|10 spoke polished ZL1 replica wheels|VMAX ported TB|RS Headlights|Night Owl RGB Halos
jmontalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:08 PM   #8
MR.Sarge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmontalvo View Post
Something similar happened to me but on my STOCK tail lights back in July. The way I fixed it? I punched the tail light a couple of times and it worked. Hasn't messed up since. Maybe this can help you as well lol
Lol I've done that a few times with a few halogen tail lights in my parents car fixed it by doing that but not sure how LED tail lights would go with smacking them. They all work fine just go crazy when signaling so something in the micro or programming all of a sudden? I even tried removing negative terminal of battery to try and reset the micro in the tail light but no go with that. I'm at square one with ideas now :(
Old 12-31-2013, 10:08 PM   #9
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS

I don't know much about these lights, but check your ground. My neighbor just had a problem with a 94 Toyota with the signal flashing fast. The ground wire broke and if you touched it back to the ground bolt, it flashes fine. I know it sounds ridiculous to compare a old sh!t box to your car but it's worth a shot to take a look.

Last edited by 45thCamaro; 01-01-2014 at 08:59 AM.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:54 AM   #10
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.Sarge View Post
Just over a year, pretty much about a year and 3 months now?
Had you had prior problems ?
Old 01-01-2014, 12:54 PM   #11
MR.Sarge

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Had you had prior problems ?
Video below of the issue.

Yes I have had problems and plenty of them. Which leads me to thinking the quality/workmanship is very poor. Had fog in lens of one light - fixed, burnt out LEDs in rings - fixed, show-mode wasn't working on one of the light housing at all - fixed that myself as I didn't want to pay to ship and fix it. Easy fix, but poor quality in workmanship from technostalgia, the wire inside the lighting housing (purple wire in housing connected to the PCB board) wasn't making a connection properly to the board via the pin because the pin wasn't in contact with the copper in the wire, it was just touching the outer purple tube , which told me they don't test their product for 100% functionality in these lights, burnt out LEDs in ring again - NOT FIXED not worth my time and $$ anymore, and finally this berserk light that goes crazy now after working flawlessly for over a year. So yeah, I have had plenty of problems with these lights.

In all honesty, it's bad workmanship and the fact they don't test each light for 100% functionality (my show-mode wire contact being proof for me) just makes me regret the purchase even though I love the lights. Recorded what the light does when signalling, front lights works and DIC says check rear light when it goes berserk after the 3rd flash.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:54 PM   #12
camguynj

Yea, these lights seem to have an inordinate amount of problem. What version do you have ...6701 or 6701B? As you're out of warranty maybe it would be worth your while just to buy an inside replacement light if all the others are wordking.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:58 PM   #13
MR.Sarge

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Yea, these lights seem to have an inordinate amount of problem. What version do you have ...6701 or 6701B? As you're out of warranty maybe it would be worth your while just to buy an inside replacement light if all the others are wordking.
Not sure which I have to be honest, would need to try and find the box to figure which one it is. As for buying just the inside light, I don't think technostalgia does that. They only fix them. Won't sell them separate, but I will try that play with them tmw when they are back to work, hopefully they do that but if not I'm going back to stock cause these things are starting to piss me off.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:40 PM   #14
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Out of curiosity, what did their technical support team tell you over the phone?
I'm assuming of course that this was done already.

Check battery voltage on vehicle 24-48 hours after sitting. These lights hate low voltage, and need a "reset" by pulling the pink wire off the battery for a couple of minutes if the case.

Check your ground connection as well, this can't be over emphasized.

Worst case scenario is water intrusion causing a short. Let's hope it's not that.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote