Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / PA

Old 08-21-2015, 01:59 PM   #1
ucHuskies

Drives: 2014 SS/RS Blue Ray
Mod Friendly Dealership in Long Island/Tri state area

Finally got myself ready to pull the trigger on the 3.91 1LE gear kit from GM, and spoke to my dealer about it. First of all, the parts guy had no idea what I was talking about, but once I have him the part number he then questioned whether it would void my warranty. After I mentioned Chevy advertises the part to not void the warranty, he referred me over to service to get an install quote. The service advisor then told me that his manager overheard our conversation and that the manager told him it would void the warranty and they want to walk away. After again explaining Chevy says it won't void the warranty, he basically just shut me down and said they refuse to do the install.

So, my question is, would anyone be willing to share (or PM if you don't want to share publicly) a dealer that is "mod friendly" for them and has a competent service department?
Old 08-22-2015, 12:47 PM   #2
Pace
Lifestyle = Deathstyle

Drives: 11 SIM 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pace
Would be interested in a dealer install also...they also have to tune?
Old 08-22-2015, 04:10 PM   #3
ucHuskies

Yes they need to recalibrate the speedo and retune for shift points. I believe the kit includes everything.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:24 PM   #4
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"

Drives: 2010 SILVER ICE 2LT/RS CAMARO
Send a message via AIM to camaro4mybday
its going to be very hard to find a dealer that will want to do this they don't like doing custom work because they loose money
camaro4mybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 12:46 AM   #5
jeffm4688

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS 1LE
I would be very curious as to which dealership this happened at.

I know as soon as I mentioned I wanted to build my car the dealership where I purchased from told me they had a "performance shop" and could handle anything I could want to do, but I don't know who I'd truly trust doing any work to my car.
2018 M2 Exec - Current
jeffm4688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:31 PM   #6
ucHuskies

Pace -- the original dealer is working on the quote for me...making progress, will let you know,

Jeff -- would you mind sharing/PMing that dealer?
Old 08-26-2015, 05:32 AM   #7
FrostySS

Drives: 2018 Redline Edition 2SS
It won't void your warranty. However you need to tune the speedo and shift points, I'm not sure how that's done without a full tune, though I'm sure it's possible. I was just talking to one of my customers about this very swap. He's still on the fence about doing it, my concern is the tune. I don't know much about that aspect of modding other than GM can be douche nozzles about it. If there's a way to just do the speedo GM can't void your warranty, we're all protected under the law

I can understand why a dealership wouldn't want to touch it, if we work on it we own it...and sometimes the $$$ isn't worth the headache. I personally don't care, $$$ is $$$$ lol
2018 Redline Edition 2SS- A8, NPP, MRC, Recaro seats, ECS Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, cat deletes, Mighty Mouse Wild CC, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts Drake Muscle Car wicker bill, Adams Polishes Ceramic Coating

2010 Infiniti G37x Sedan for the DD.
FrostySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:07 AM   #8
ucHuskies

Frosty-- others have done this and say that the kit contains everything (including tune for shift points) the dealership needs to do the install. Do you find this to not be the case?
Old 08-26-2015, 07:17 AM   #9
FrostySS

Drives: 2018 Redline Edition 2SS
I haven't done one yet, if the kit includes everything that's perfect. My customers don't really mod their cars aside cold air intakes, wheels etc. I don't deal with the GM upgrades much(my parts department does) so it's good to know that it comes as a kit....I'd definitely be more inclined to talk to customers about the upgrade now.

I know my GM stuff but I learned something, thanks guys.
2018 Redline Edition 2SS- A8, NPP, MRC, Recaro seats, ECS Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, cat deletes, Mighty Mouse Wild CC, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts Drake Muscle Car wicker bill, Adams Polishes Ceramic Coating

2010 Infiniti G37x Sedan for the DD.

Last edited by FrostySS; 08-26-2015 at 07:39 AM.
FrostySS is offline   Reply With Quote