Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 02-17-2019, 03:04 AM   #1
TraumaRN1LE

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
Stock exhaust to NPP

Hey guys,

Forgive me if this has already been covered. I recently purchased my 2015 SS 1LE and while I love it, the stock exhaust is just too quiet for me. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience switching to the NPP dual mode exhaust from a stock exhaust. I know Ill need to switch out the rear diffuser, but is there any electrical work that will need to be done for the valves on the NPP system? Thanks in advance.

Also fyi I'm stuck in communist California, so after market exhausts are a tad too risky at the moment (unless anyone has experience with a corsa sport or something similar, no headers or anything like that) Thanks!
TraumaRN1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:53 AM   #2
steakmaker

Drives: '10 Camaro SS,Jeep Commander Hemi
NPP ?

Here's an idea, install some electric cutouts,welded in or band clamps,if band clamps are used,save the pipe that was cut out so you can put it back in when selling the car and you can install them again in your new ride!
steakmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:21 AM   #3
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Your 1LE should come with NPP/Dual mode. If anything cut the resonators out.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:32 AM   #4
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
I have NPP installed on my car with the ADM controller. Car starts in open mode and use wireless remote to close them. I programmed the wireless to my HomeLink buttons.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:45 AM   #5
Blueovalman

Drives: 2012 V6 Camaro 2010 Camaro SS
Lightbulb

Even though you are in California you can still go from the stock exhaust to the SLP Loudmouth or Loudmouth 2 axle back exhaust with 4” tips and you could even install a PowerFlo X Crossover Pipe. All the SLP exhaust parts have a carb number and are 50 state legal. Also SLP exhaust parts come stock OEM on some Chevrolet Camaros so the unnecessary strict smog laws in California can not do anything about it. The SLP exhaust on the 5th gen Camaro sounds outstanding!
Old 02-18-2019, 07:15 AM   #6
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
You can’t get a retro-fit NPP system to work like stock because the ECU controls NPP valve operation based on RPM and your car’s ECU isn’t programmed for NPP. You can install just the NPP mufflers (no wiring or tubing required) but you’d always be running in open mode which is the default position for NPP valve flaps.

The only possible ways ? to control the valves would be to get a Forza 3way Controller (always open, closed, or factory/ECUmode). Check with Forza to see if with all the factory NPP piping and muffler components installed including the actuators but without factory NPP ECU programming would the controller work in always open or closed mode only?

If the Forza 3way can’t work then BillyBoat makes a “NPP in a Box” system for vettes that comes with wiring and vaccum tubing. Check with them if it can be installed in a Camaro ? Post a reply with what you find out if you followup with them.

Last edited by camguynj; 02-18-2019 at 10:32 AM.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:39 AM   #7
The Hunter

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS/RS 1LE
I installed headers with catless mid pipes and left the stock exhaust on from the mid pipe back. I also have the mild to wild exhaust controller which takes all of 10 mins to install and I love the sound just smells a little.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:36 AM   #8
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TraumaRN1LE View Post
Also fyi I'm stuck in communist California, so after market exhausts are a tad too risky at the moment (unless anyone has experience with a corsa sport or something similar, no headers or anything like that) Thanks!
yeah, i live in california too and i said "screw your exhaust regulations!" i wanted an exhaust system that if i tried to see the exhaust valves on the cylinder heads from the exhaust tips, i could and i went with that! call me rebelious.

seriously tho, you may be able to find the NPP exhaust in the classifieds section in here. it will bolt/weld right in and will not require tuning. you'll just be in open mode. a very nice sound.

Also, there are also a few other muffler brands that sound really nice with the factory manifolds and factory cats. basically all catback exhaust systems are not illegal in california as long as its after the factory manifolds and factory cats. the only thing you'd have to worry about is getting a citation for your exhaust being too loud so you may want to stay away from exhaust systems that are basically a muffler delete (SLP Loudmouth, etc....)

magnaflow may be too quiet on a stock manifold/cats car. you would barely be able to tell at idle that you have aftermarket exhaust.

if i was staying with stock manifolds and stock cats, id go with borla atak. this guy here is on stock manifolds and stock cats

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:03 AM   #9
SSMY1LE

Drives: '14 1LE RS NPP Recaro
Just replace the stock suitcase mufflers with the NPP mufflers and leave the flaps in the default open position. I have the flap controller but never use it.
Best sounding exhaust out there !
Old 02-18-2019, 01:43 PM   #10
PapaKlutch

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
Your 1LE should come with NPP/Dual mode. If anything cut the resonators out.
NPP was an option on all SS's, including the 1LE.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:53 PM   #11
PapaKlutch

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TraumaRN1LE View Post
Hey guys,

Forgive me if this has already been covered. I recently purchased my 2015 SS 1LE and while I love it, the stock exhaust is just too quiet for me. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience switching to the NPP dual mode exhaust from a stock exhaust. I know Ill need to switch out the rear diffuser, but is there any electrical work that will need to be done for the valves on the NPP system? Thanks in advance.

The 5th gen NPP uses the ECU and vacuum lines to control the flaps, so a swap is not something that many go for. There is a company that made an "NPP in a BOX" kit that would allow for always closed or always open. Of course, you have to purchase the NPP mufflers, etc. and a rear Diffuser. Do a google search for NPP in a Box.

I would reach out to others in SO Cal about exhaust upgrades, too. Jump on Instagram and there are several So Cal Camaro groups. You might try WestCoastMaros to start.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:02 PM   #12
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaKlutch View Post
I would reach out to others in SO Cal about exhaust upgrades, too. Jump on Instagram and there are several So Cal Camaro groups. You might try WestCoastMaros to start.
come through to the camaro meet this sunday 2/24 at Accelerated Racing in Rancho Cucamonga

10am to 12pm

@12pm we're cruising to Dave n Busters in Ontario for lunch. Fantastic sounds!

WestCoastMaros will be there and a bunch of other camaros as well. you'll get to hear live what you're looking for

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:51 AM   #13
TraumaRN1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty9fordkiller View Post
come through to the camaro meet this sunday 2/24 at Accelerated Racing in Rancho Cucamonga

10am to 12pm

@12pm we're cruising to Dave n Busters in Ontario for lunch. Fantastic sounds!

WestCoastMaros will be there and a bunch of other camaros as well. you'll get to hear live what you're looking for
Awesome!!! Ill definitely see if mom can watch my kids, I didn't know we had local Camaro meets! I'm right down the 210 in Highland!!
Old 02-19-2019, 04:52 AM   #14
TraumaRN1LE

Thanks for everyone's responses without flaming me too much . Ill keep looking at options and let you know what I decide to do.