Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 11-11-2023, 10:43 AM   #1
pcguy2u

Drives: 2009 Corvette ZR1
Digital Octopus - DO1015 Slim R1 comments

FYI, the Slim R1 version has little to no mass behind the screen leaving a lot of working room there. Photo below:

Just purchased one of these after returning a unit that looked to be an identical product from AWESAFE due to lack of support. I was skeptical and remain somewhat skeptical about the DO support, but it appears that during their 15 day return period they are somewhat responsive.

General observation: it's close, but not quite ready for prime time. If you're not into absolute perfection, it's probably a good unit for you.

The primary problem is the lack of documentation; even an FAQ page for each model would help, but they don't seem interested. To me it seems that there are way too many questions from buyers of these units to accomplish what most would consider two requirements: few if any customer support inquiries thereby creating confidence and customer satisfaction - and - making the process economically viable and therefore profitable for the company.

No clue why they don't include at least an FAQ sheet in with the package. During my interactions with the support folks I found that there are two adapters that make the install much smoother/less labor intensive. They have and can provide, in lieu of a replacement camera, an adapter that allows for the use of the existing rear camera. As well, there is a commercially available adapter that allows for the use of the OEM USB cables. That by itself is helpful in that there is no provision for mounting the two USB cables/connectors that come with the system.

BTW, one of the ICONS on the main pages of this unit is one called TLINK5. The software make the Android Auto interface almost seamless. The file manager also shows promise.

Thought I wanted to have the TLINK5 icon on page one, but was not able to move icons between pages; even though you can drag from one page to the next, it doesn't work.

Parts are in the mail so the jury is still out on this and as you may have gathered, the clock is ticking.

BTW, I'm holding off on finishing the headliner on my project until the dust settles on this.
Attached Images

Last edited by pcguy2u; 11-12-2023 at 07:37 AM.
pcguy2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 12:00 PM   #2
olytlr

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS Convertible
I am definitely interested. Connecting to the OEM rear camera has always been an issue with aftermarket HUs. Connecting into the OEM USB is huge as well. I am looking for something OEM looking with wireless Carplay. This may fit the bill.

I assume steering wheel controls still work? What happens with the climate control knobs?
olytlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 02:40 PM   #3
pcguy2u

If you question them about the camera adapter, you can mention that someone received one from them on the Camaro forum. The USB adapter is one that plugs between the device's output cable and the OEM cable. Here's a link to the one I ordered yesterday and a photo below...

I believe the opening facing the viewer is the mate to the OEM USB cable that plugs into back of the OEM box, the large metal one.

The HVAC stuff has it's own page and my tests of the fan and the direction of the air flow all seemed to work properly.

The volume controls on the steering wheel also worked and I believe the phone controls also worked???

Also Android Auto is wireless with TLINK5...

Nick
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2023, 09:48 PM   #4
charlottefarrell

Drives: Honda, Wave
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcguy2u View Post
FYI, the Slim R1 version has little to no mass behind the screen leaving a lot of working room there. Photo below:

Just purchased one of these after returning a unit that looked to be an identical product from AWESAFE due to lack of support. I was skeptical and remain somewhat skeptical about the DO support, but it appears that during their 15 day return period they are somewhat responsive.

General observation: it's close, but not quite ready for prime time. If you're not into absolute perfection, it's probably a good unit for you.

The primary problem is the lack of documentation; even an FAQ page for each model would help, but they don't seem interested. To me it seems that there are way too many questions from buyers of these units to accomplish what most would consider two requirements geometry dash lite: few if any customer support inquiries thereby creating confidence and customer satisfaction - and - making the process economically viable and therefore profitable for the company.

No clue why they don't include at least an FAQ sheet in with the package. During my interactions with the support folks I found that there are two adapters that make the install much smoother/less labor intensive. They have and can provide, in lieu of a replacement camera, an adapter that allows for the use of the existing rear camera. As well, there is a commercially available adapter that allows for the use of the OEM USB cables. That by itself is helpful in that there is no provision for mounting the two USB cables/connectors that come with the system.

BTW, one of the ICONS on the main pages of this unit is one called TLINK5. The software make the Android Auto interface almost seamless. The file manager also shows promise.

Thought I wanted to have the TLINK5 icon on page one, but was not able to move icons between pages; even though you can drag from one page to the next, it doesn't work.

Parts are in the mail so the jury is still out on this and as you may have gathered, the clock is ticking.

BTW, I'm holding off on finishing the headliner on my project until the dust settles on this.
Most of the time, an adapter is needed in order to connect to an OEM rear camera. VGA and HDMI 2.0 outputs offer adaptable display connectivity. Generally, to guarantee seamless operation during connection, you should select a microSD memory card with a large capacity.
charlottefarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 02:06 PM   #5
pcguy2u

Just a heads up, the USB adapter (pic above) arrived and it does not fit. It's close and it looks right, but no cigar.
Old 11-27-2023, 01:52 AM   #6
charlottefarrell

Drives: Honda, Wave
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcguy2u View Post
Just a heads up, the USB adapter (pic above) arrived and it does not fit. It's close and it looks right, but no cigar.
Not just the mod is at fault. It is not to challenge GM QC, but rather to consider the time your engine was constructed. My 23-inch V6 has a few minor modifications. But incredibly pleasurable.
charlottefarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 08:25 AM   #7
pcguy2u

I returned the unit; refund did not include the shipping...