Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-28-2018, 08:27 PM   #953
steakmaker

Drives: '10 Camaro SS,Jeep Commander Hemi
TA vs LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_SS View Post
Had a guy at a gas station in east bay tell me that "you have a nice car....my trans am would have dusted it though!"
While he filled up his Saturn Vue..
No it probably wouldn't have"Dusted it " TA 1/4 mi..14.1 & LT 1/4 mi 13.7
People don't realize,these Gen5 v/6's are faster than a stock Road Runner was in '68,
I believe they only ran 15's in the 1/4
steakmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:30 PM   #954
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
true,the 6 cylinders dont get the respect they deserve,323 horsepower out of 217 c.i. is pretty efficient.lots of old school v-8s didnt put out that much horsepower back in the day.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:32 PM   #955
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by steakmaker View Post
No it probably wouldn't have"Dusted it " TA 1/4 mi..14.1 & LT 1/4 mi 13.7
People don't realize,these Gen5 v/6's are faster than a stock Road Runner was in '68,
I believe they only ran 15's in the 1/4
This gets posted alot. Everyone says how the v6 Camaro is faster then the musclecars of the day. But.......it didn't take much to make those cars run way quicker in the 1/4. So sure the 5th gen v6 is a good car. But lets quit trying to compare it to cars 45 plus years old. To this day wheel into a car meet in your 69 Roadrunner...your getting way more attention then the guy sitting there with his exhaust only v6 Camaro with the hood up....Mustang or Charger. Its not just about speed ..musclecars had everyone's respect then and now. As much as you want it to happen...it isnt going to with any v6 Mustang...Camaro or Charger.

Last edited by rontammy0; 03-28-2018 at 09:55 PM.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:52 PM   #956
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
This gets posted alot. Everyone says how the v6 Camaro is faster then the musclecars of the day. But.......it didn't take much to make those cars run way quicker in the 1/4. So sure the 5th gen v6 is a good car. But lets quit trying to compare it to cars 45 plus years old. To this day wheel into a car meet in your 69 Roadrunner...your getting way more attention then the guy sitting there with his exhaust only v6 Camaro with the hood ....Mustang or Charger. Its not just about speed ..musclecar had everyone's respect then and now. As much as you want it to happen...it isnt going to with any v6 Mustang...Camaro or Charger.
Agree 100%. There is no doubt the V6 Camaro is a great car. However, comparing any vehicle to another vehicle in the same basic class (muscle, luxury, off road, etc.) from 4-5 decades ago is like comparing apples to a steak dinner.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:41 AM   #957
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
true,but it would cost you a pile of money to make that 68 road runner as quiet and fuel efficient as a 5th gen camaro.not to mention to get it to brake and handle like a 5th gen.had a 66 pontiac tempest with what was pretty much a ram air III drivetrain in it.top speed was 140,and it swilled 93 octane like there was no tomorrow,and i never even thought about XM radio or A/C.much as i like the old musclecars,these new camaros have them beat in a lot of ways.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 04:58 AM   #958
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
true,but it would cost you a pile of money to make that 68 road runner as quiet and fuel efficient as a 5th gen camaro.not to mention to get it to brake and handle like a 5th gen.had a 66 pontiac tempest with what was pretty much a ram air III drivetrain in it.top speed was 140,and it swilled 93 octane like there was no tomorrow,and i never even thought about XM radio or A/C.much as i like the old musclecars,these new camaros have them beat in a lot of ways.
I agree. But its still a 68 Roadrunner tho. I choose the 5th gen for the exact reasons you mentioned.

Last edited by rontammy0; 03-29-2018 at 06:48 AM.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:23 AM   #959
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
This gets posted alot. Everyone says how the v6 Camaro is faster then the musclecars of the day. But.......it didn't take much to make those cars run way quicker in the 1/4. So sure the 5th gen v6 is a good car. But lets quit trying to compare it to cars 45 plus years old. To this day wheel into a car meet in your 69 Roadrunner...your getting way more attention then the guy sitting there with his exhaust only v6 Camaro with the hood up....Mustang or Charger. Its not just about speed ..musclecars had everyone's respect then and now. As much as you want it to happen...it isnt going to with any v6 Mustang...Camaro or Charger.
I think what steakmaker and anybody else comparing today's V6 performance against yesteryear's V8 performance is getting at is that the 'respect' sword cuts both ways.

Today's sixxers don't get the respect their performance deserves solely because of their cylinder count and what that used to mean. It's just way too easy to mentally lump all US domestic 6-cylinder engines into the same low-performance category that was defined by the 1-barrel carb'ed inline 6's of the 1960's that were gasping for breath at 4400 rpm to make all of maybe 110 HP.

I get that the mfrs left a lot of low-hanging fruit with their V8's of the 1960's, and that we're well past picking that easy fruit with most any of today's engines. Bragging rights - acceleration stats in particular - need to have the cars under comparison equipped in comparable configurations, full factory stock generally being the easiest basis.

Norm
Old 03-29-2018, 08:35 AM   #960
PROZ11

Drives: 2012 RS/2SS, 69 ProStreet Camaro
Are people actually comparing their modern (any) car to as 60s car? That's like comparing a 1969 car to a 1919 car. Of course the 69 better in every way. I love both my 2012 and 1969 Camaros but comparing them is ridiculous.

As far as getting stupid comments about either of my Camaros, there are a few types of people that make them. Haters that are jealous, haters that are brand loyal and hate any other brand, and clueless people. I actually hear more dumb comments about my 69 than my 2012. Although that may be in part to the fact that my 69 goes to shows, cruise-ins and other car gatherings with lots of people around. I don't take my 2012 to any of those so there is less chance of stupid. LOL.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:26 AM   #961
Backspin9

Drives: The red one
The only dumb comments I seem to get are from guys that drive Mustangs, and even that doesn't happen too often. Our car club (Southern Nevada Camaro Club) does a lot of car shows and at every one our Camaros outnumber every other kind of car, including the Mustangs and MOPAR's.

As for the V6/V8 thing, we don't care as long as your car has CAMARO on the side of it. Most of us don't race (some do) and at the shows how your car looks is what gets the attention.
Backspin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 04:35 PM   #962
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I think what steakmaker and anybody else comparing today's V6 performance against yesteryear's V8 performance is getting at is that the 'respect' sword cuts both ways.

Today's sixxers don't get the respect their performance deserves solely because of their cylinder count and what that used to mean. It's just way too easy to mentally lump all US domestic 6-cylinder engines into the same low-performance category that was defined by the 1-barrel carb'ed inline 6's of the 1960's that were gasping for breath at 4400 rpm to make all of maybe 110 HP.

I get that the mfrs left a lot of low-hanging fruit with their V8's of the 1960's, and that we're well past picking that easy fruit with most any of today's engines. Bragging rights - acceleration stats in particular - need to have the cars under comparison equipped in comparable configurations, full factory stock generally being the easiest basis.

Norm
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:41 PM   #963
Spocktwin

Drives: 2015 LT RS Camaro, 1978 Trans Am
the problem with so many of these statements is it seems to rest on the whole cylinder count idea. A Indy car has 6 cylinders and somewhere around 600 hp. I have to imagine there are a couple of v6's out there that could out run a v8 because of the add ons. Yes fully stock v8 kicks the v6 out the door. Gee my family ran (and I drove) Alcohol fueled funny cars......it is all in the mechanics folks.
the whole thing seems like a "mine is bigger than yours" discussion lol god Bless you all and enjoy your Easter weekend.
Spocktwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:58 PM   #964
Jazzzed

Drives: 2015 Camaro LT
The 2nd gen Camaro I had as a teenager had a straight six, 1 barrel. Lol. I still put a chrome air cleaner on it. At least it looked fast. Now I drive "The Tron Car" according to my coworkers.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:27 PM   #965
The camaro show

Drives: 2015 camaro 2lt
First day I drive my car to my old public high school I had a kid who drive a rust bucket corolla to school and thought he was such a car guy tell me my brand new car was a price of shit because it was a v6 like looks who’s talking 4 cylinder and then he took his car and got a muffler put on it to make it loud and he would say my car is louder then yours
Cosmetic mods: SS hood with painted vent, SS bumper, acs 1le front lip black, big worm gfx tinted all lights, solar wing v2, Camaro seat belt pads and oracle color shift halos and fog light halos and rear colorshift bow tie, carbon creations carbon fiber stingray z spoiler
Wheels: lexani r-3 bg finish 19x8.5
Performance: cold air inductions intake, mrt v1, jacfab ported intake manifold, intake manifold spacer, overkill tuned on E85.
The camaro show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 03:50 AM   #966
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by The camaro show View Post
First day I drive my car to my old public high school I had a kid who drive a rust bucket corolla to school and thought he was such a car guy tell me my brand new car was a price of shit because it was a v6 like looks who’s talking 4 cylinder and then he took his car and got a muffler put on it to make it loud and he would say my car is louder then yours
Yeah, but did he use commas & periods?

A lot of the performance differences from a 400+ hp Road Runner and a 300hp V-6 Camaro, at least while we are talking about 1/4 mile times, are the tires.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote