Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 04-14-2012, 03:08 PM   #9045
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Interesting.

http://www.chevyhardcore.com/news/vi...1s-on-the-dyno
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:43 PM   #9046
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:12 PM   #9047
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Am I here to amuse you?
Old 04-14-2012, 08:14 PM   #9048
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Not that my comment needed "confirmation" (it was, after all, just a hunch), BUT I guess "the devil is in the details"...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:27 AM   #9049
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
I am curious what everyone's thoughts are on the ZL1 1/4 mile times and the odd dyno chart. Something does not seem quite right to me......
445 rwhp is a mild LS3 cam and bolton number. So for sure something is wrong with that car or the break-in adds another 50 rwhp. Or fuse pull?

445 rwhp is 24% driveline loss. Too high for even for an auto.

Fact: ZL1 > CTS-V (by at least a little)

It funny how many say they can build a car that performs as well as a ZL1 for less. But will it be as refined? Will it have a warranty? And the modded car is still only as worth as much as an unmodified SS.

Are we modding to save money?

The last time I checked, not. But still it's so much fun. Just last night I stripped a thread on my Trailing Arm putting in the outer bushing. And no other car at home. I frantically rode around on my daughters bicycle risking my life, hoping to find a parts store open. Auto Zone was open but they were out of my stripped nut. Pep Boys was closed. I gave up, not wanting to risk further busy road cycling at night with no lights or helmet.

And what would have happened if I wound up in the hospital? I had no insurance card. I looked greasy and homeless in my gym shorts and Run for Haiti T-shirt. And I forgot to check before I left if my underwear had any holes in it. My wife would have been mortified. Lucky for her she was out of town.

The threads on those suspension bolts are weird they start out with an easy spin then tighten up. I hope I can find a nut today that will work somewhere on a Sunday. My oldest daughter is coming over with a car.

See, this is why I mod, not to save money, I mod for the adventure. I think now my car would fare well against a Boss with a better driver than me. I did not save any $$ as I have spent Boss money on my SS. But I feel good about my car and content knowing I did a good portion of the work myself.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #9050
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
445 rwhp is a mild LS3 cam and bolton number. So for sure something is wrong with that car or the break-in adds another 50 rwhp. Or fuse pull?

445 rwhp is 24% driveline loss. Too high for even for an auto.

Fact: ZL1 > CTS-V (by at least a little)

It funny how many say they can build a car that performs as well as a ZL1 for less. But will it be as refined? Will it have a warranty? And the modded car is still only as worth as much as an unmodified SS.

Are we modding to save money?

The last time I checked, not. But still it's so much fun. Just last night I stripped a thread on my Trailing Arm putting in the outer bushing. And no other car at home. I frantically rode around on my daughters bicycle risking my life, hoping to find a parts store open. Auto Zone was open but they were out of my stripped nut. Pep Boys was closed. I gave up, not wanting to risk further busy road cycling at night with no lights or helmet.

And what would have happened if I wound up in the hospital? I had no insurance card. I looked greasy and homeless in my gym shorts and Run for Haiti T-shirt. And I forgot to check before I left if my underwear had any holes in it. My wife would have been mortified. Lucky for her she was out of town.

The threads on those suspension bolts are weird they start out with an easy spin then tighten up. I hope I can find a nut today that will work somewhere on a Sunday. My oldest daughter is coming over with a car.

See, this is why I mod, not to save money, I mod for the adventure. I think now my car would fare well against a Boss with a better driver than me. I did not save any $$ as I have spent Boss money on my SS. But I feel good about my car and content knowing I did a good portion of the work myself.
I think that is as much a part of making your car unique is the simple fact you did it yourself. Heck anyone can write a check

This is what came to mind when you said you were riding your daughters bike. LOL
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2012, 10:32 AM   #9051
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Or fuse pull?

ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #9052
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
In this link Lingenfelter got 518/514 rwhp/rwtq out of a ZL1. At a 15% loss that equates to a 610 pull. Pretty stout!

I believe that was with less than 8 psi. Imagine if it had GT500 psi?!

Last edited by 2cnd chance; 04-15-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #9053
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
It's just special that they actually made this car and it's becoming available now. I couldn't wait any longer, and being an old motor head I couldn't bear the thought of paying someone else to do the work I used to do myself. But, being older now I don't have the ambition to take on those projects so I am lucky to write the check and jump in and go on a true high performance all capabilty Camaro. That's a nice bike picture BTW Number 3 ..., reminds me of the Barbie Car in the shed...., ahhh I'm of the generation that holds onto everything...
Old 04-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #9054
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
It's just special that they actually made this car and it's becoming available now. I couldn't wait any longer, and being an old motor head I couldn't bear the thought of paying someone else to do the work I used to do myself. But, being older now I don't have the ambition to take on those projects so I am lucky to write the check and jump in and go on a true high performance all capabilty Camaro. That's a nice bike picture BTW Number 3 ..., reminds me of the Barbie Car in the shed...., ahhh I'm of the generation that holds onto everything...
Hopefully Fraxum wasn't really riding one like that around trying to find that fastener.

I know right were you are coming from. It's a balance between what you could do and what you can purchase. It's just two paths to the same outcome. There are varying levels of course. You turn the wrench, you pay to have the wrench turned or you buy one that doesn't need the wrench at all. All are special in their own way.

I'm sure you've done a lot of the wrench turning so I think that gives you an entirely different perspective.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:17 PM   #9055
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
... I mod for the adventure. I think now my car would fare well against a Boss with a better driver than me. I did not save any $$ as I have spent Boss money on my SS. But I feel good about my car and content knowing I did a good portion of the work myself.
And that feeling of accomplishment is very rewarding and gives you the ability to speak from hands on experience. It also connects you even closer to your car. It's a great feeling, that bond created between man and machine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Hopefully Fraxum wasn't really riding one like that around trying to find that fastener..
...LOL, haven't we all been placed in similar cricumstances where any mode of transportation would do under exigent circumstances...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I know right were you are coming from. It's a balance between what you could do and what you can purchase. It's just two paths to the same outcome. There are varying levels of course. You turn the wrench, you pay to have the wrench turned or you buy one that doesn't need the wrench at all. All are special in their own way.

I'm sure you've done a lot of the wrench turning so I think that gives you an entirely different perspective.
Very eloquent Number 3. You summed it up nicely!
Old 04-15-2012, 01:32 PM   #9056
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
I am curious what everyone's thoughts are on the ZL1 1/4 mile times and the odd dyno chart. Something does not seem quite right to me......
I think there's something wrong with that car. or it's part of the break in.

Either way people are chalking too much up to 1 pass. and mag racing is starting to get on my nerves. especially from the ford guys. who know how the GT500 was said to be only a 12.5 car, and then customers started taking it to the track and got a whole lot better times. I think they have short memories. or just want to stir the pot here.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:20 PM   #9057
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Depending on what the insurance company says about the Malibu's injuries, we may be getting a Cruze...
Old 04-15-2012, 05:58 PM   #9058
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post

Either way people are chalking too much up to 1 pass.
I am starting to stay away from the ZL1 section.... To much drama for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Depending on what the insurance company says about the Malibu's injuries, we may be getting a Cruze...
What happened to the Malibu????
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
"number z", 2014 700hp z/28, 3/27/2013, 75k, super de duper z thread, thread for the zed, what'z up?, where's our z/28, why no big z?, z/28 spring 2014