Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 04-17-2017, 08:51 PM   #1
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
Fuse tap Dash Cam set up

installed a Thinkware F750 with rear camera. works great with the exception that I can't get park mode to work, I taped in to the f23 (trunk) fuse for constant power, trunk will release but can't figure out why the park mode won't work, changed out the fuses and the connection to the wire from the tap looks good. dumbfounded. what size fuse should I be using for the camera? read where 2 to a 5 and lowest I have is a 5. if I got a 2 and 3 would that work? figure it is that or I recheck the wire in the crimped part again. UGH!

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:47 PM   #2
mma

Drives: 1LE
my thinkware has a battery wire, accessory wire, and ground wire.. did yours not come with an accessory wire? or perhaps it hasn't reached the voltage needed to trigger to park mode

this is what i used, comes with 5 amp and works fine. i think i tapped into the F17 fuse

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=A4ZR0KLVOENJ2
mma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:58 PM   #3
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mma View Post
my thinkware has a battery wire, accessory wire, and ground wire.. did yours not come with an accessory wire? or perhaps it hasn't reached the voltage needed to trigger to park mode

this is what i used, comes with 5 amp and works fine. i think i tapped into the F17 fuse

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=A4ZR0KLVOENJ2

I have all three wires, and my dash cam goes off with the ignition and records like it should, just won't go in to park mode. taped 17 for switched power and 23 for constant. I know that the trunk still opens when you hit one of the releases for it just can't get the park to work, thinking it is either the fuse or where I have the tap wire connected to the camera power wire. so 5 amp should work. have it in the same direction as the factory fuse so it should be right. guess I will have to recheck the crimped wire part.

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
Old 04-18-2017, 04:51 AM   #4
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaf View Post
I have all three wires, and my dash cam goes off with the ignition and records like it should, just won't go in to park mode. taped 17 for switched power and 23 for constant. I know that the trunk still opens when you hit one of the releases for it just can't get the park to work, thinking it is either the fuse or where I have the tap wire connected to the camera power wire. so 5 amp should work. have it in the same direction as the factory fuse so it should be right. guess I will have to recheck the crimped wire part.
Just a thought, check that you have the Add-a-Tap fuses in the right locations. Original fuse goes in bottom slot, added fuse goes in top slot that's in line with the wire for the new circuit.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:20 PM   #5
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

have tried everything I can think of, throwing in the towel and going to contact best buy having one of there tech's look at it, maybe they can see what I am not.

Last edited by jshaf; 04-19-2017 at 08:03 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:49 PM   #6
mma

Drives: 1LE
youre tapped into the right places.. fuses aren't broken and placed correctly?

this is gonna sound real stupid but.. did you enable park mode in the camera's settings?
mma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:56 PM   #7
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

problem solved, got a PM from zuess2011(sp) and one from a member on another site that got me thinking. after surfing the net found out that Thinkware produced a bunch of hard wire kits with reversed wire colors, when I got mine it had not tags saying what went with what. went to Thinkwares web site and found a forum with info and a tech on there was saying what color was for what and I wrote that down and used it to connect the fuse taps thinking they had to be right, WRONG! eventually found some others with the same problem once I started using the right search words. I simply took the fuses out of the taps and put them in the other tap and made sure that the inline fuse was running to the continuous power fuse and voila, problem solved

Thanks Zuess!!

Old 02-22-2024, 11:06 AM   #8
Evil Ed
@eviledsssbeast2011

Drives: 2011 2SS L99 Convertible
Fuse tap

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaf View Post
installed a Thinkware F750 with rear camera. works great with the exception that I can't get park mode to work, I taped in to the f23 (trunk) fuse for constant power, trunk will release but can't figure out why the park mode won't work, changed out the fuses and the connection to the wire from the tap looks good. dumbfounded. what size fuse should I be using for the camera? read where 2 to a 5 and lowest I have is a 5. if I got a 2 and 3 would that work? figure it is that or I recheck the wire in the crimped part again. UGH!
Tryed to use thease on my 2011 2ss convertible Camaro. Unfortunately the new tap wont into one of slot. The tap is too big. just my luck. Will see if I can find an alternate slot today or tomorrow. But it is getting frustrating.
Evil Ed is offline   Reply With Quote