Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-21-2023, 11:21 AM   #1
CandC2013SS

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Weird Door Issue

Car is my wife's new to us daily driver.

2013 2SS ragtop - 78k. Bone stock except for the owner who bought it new put a Borla exhaust on it and a k&N "Cold" air intake. (I'm ordering a AfE or AEM dry filter shortly).

FYI I downloaded the vast majority of the ACDelco tech manual, shop manual and I have the GM tech 'info' bulletins regarding 'door opening' issues and I even have a new door cable ready to install. Just have a bunch of other vehicle maintenance / projects that need to get done first.

Anyway....

- Doors lock (with remote, auto lock when you start driving etc)
- Unlock doors
- Passenger door will not open from inside handle (handle is NOT broken)
- If you try the outside handle it will NOT open on the first try. Always the 2nd or 3rd try - every time
- Once you've got it open, as long as the doors stay unlocked, the door will open perfectly fine using either inside or outside handle

Anyone else experienced this weirdness?
CandC2013SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 05:37 PM   #2
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
On these Camaros, I don't know if you know it or not, but to unlock the passenger door with the FOB, you have to push the unlock button twice to do that, also when you are in the car driving, and you park it and shot it off, both doors will unlock, but if the car is still running, and you are stopped and your passenger wants to get out, they need to pull the "inside" door handle twice to unlock it.
Old 07-26-2023, 09:07 AM   #3
CandC2013SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
On these Camaros, I don't know if you know it or not, but to unlock the passenger door with the FOB, you have to push the unlock button twice to do that, also when you are in the car driving, and you park it and shot it off, both doors will unlock, but if the car is still running, and you are stopped and your passenger wants to get out, they need to pull the "inside" door handle twice to unlock it.
The FOB button (two presses) I was aware of. The inside handle not so much. Will try that. Thing is you can SEE the passenger door is unlocked. Pull the outside handle - nothing. Second or third time (EVERY time) door unlocks fine. I'll check it out tonight if I get time while installing the iDatalink dash kit.
Old 07-26-2023, 12:36 PM   #4
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandC2013SS View Post
The FOB button (two presses) I was aware of. The inside handle not so much. Will try that. Thing is you can SEE the passenger door is unlocked. Pull the outside handle - nothing. Second or third time (EVERY time) door unlocks fine. I'll check it out tonight if I get time while installing the iDatalink dash kit.
If the passenger door is unlocked, or not, pull the handle out and spray some graphite lube spray in the door on the mechanism, and the inside door jam latch area. Maybe it is sticking somewhere in the door. GL
Old 07-27-2023, 02:35 PM   #5
CandC2013SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
If the passenger door is unlocked, or not, pull the handle out and spray some graphite lube spray in the door on the mechanism, and the inside door jam latch area. Maybe it is sticking somewhere in the door. GL
Well it wasn't anything to do with not doing something 'right'. There is something up with the lock mechanism.

Unlock the door, 2nd or 3rd try on outside handle, doors opens inside / outside handle perfectly with zero issues - UNTIL it's locked again. I'll try to take it apart this weekend and take a look.
Old 07-28-2023, 09:55 AM   #6
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandC2013SS View Post
Well it wasn't anything to do with not doing something 'right'. There is something up with the lock mechanism.

Unlock the door, 2nd or 3rd try on outside handle, doors opens inside / outside handle perfectly with zero issues - UNTIL it's locked again. I'll try to take it apart this weekend and take a look.
Well that bites! Good luck man..