Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-26-2022, 03:20 PM   #1
jbanks1124

Drives: 2014 ZL1 Convertible M6 RRM
PSA for 5th Gen ZL1 Convertible Owners regarding exhaust.

Hello all.

This post is regarding fitment of the Borla ATAK Catback #140495 on the 5th Gen Camaro ZL1 Convertible models. I’m posting this because I wanted to try something different for my 2014 Camaro ZL1 Convertible exhaust and I’m a huge Borla fan.

Prior to install I couldn’t find much information or anyone who was a guinea pig for trying the ATAK catback on their convertible. I checked the internet, YouTube and even contacted Borla customer service. I’m passing all this on incase anyone else needs the information.

First the Borla Part #140495 is the Borla ATAK Catback for the 2012-15 Camaro ZL1. It says on their website that it only fits the coupe models. So I looked into why. Between looking at pictures and some creative information seeking on YouTube, I came to realize that most of the underbody is the same with convertible models except there is an extra brace closer to the cats and there are two diagonal bars that go from each side to the center of the rear. These both being for extra structural regidity since there’s no roof.

Next I started to look into if the ATAK would fit even with the braces. The stock catback is 2.5” diameter and the ATAK is 2.75”. Not much difference but I was studying pictures of the bends of the pipes and everything looked like it might work. My backup plan was a kit that Stainless Works makes for the 2010-15 Camaro Convertibles to provide spacing for up to 3” piping. It’s basically an aftermarket brace with a cutout for the pipes and then spacers for the back diagonal bars. https://stainlessworks.net/convertib...e-2010-camaro/

I also emailed Borla customer service to see if they could provide any insight but they weren’t sure because they simply hadn’t tested it out themselves. They told me I’d kinda have to wing it. And well that’s just what I was planning on.

I ordered the Borla ATAK Catback #140495 and was ready to give a shot. Thought of myself as a pioneer lol!

Did the removal of my stock exhaust and took off the convertible braces and got ready to mount the Borla. Just looking at everything out of the box and with the stock taken off it looked like it would fit.

Got everything mocked up and put the braces back on. IT WORKED!!! Everything fit, and there was plenty of clearance. The extra brace closer to the cats has almost an inch of clearance and the diagonal bars in the back weren’t even close. That’s the part I was worried about since the pipes bend back there. I emailed Borla as well to let them know too.

I will probably end up buying the stainless works kit anyway just for more clearance and a little breathing room but I’m happy to report that the ATAK catback fits the Convertible Camaro ZL1’s as well without any modification.

Hope this helps even one person!!! I still need to move the tips in a little bit, but that’s me installing, not the system. Anyways here’s some pictures of the install:
Attached Images

jbanks1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 05:06 PM   #2
tartagliazl1

Drives: 2013 zl1 vert
Nice work. That’s a big chunk of cash, just on the hopes it fits. Now how does is sound?
22% lower/ 2.5 upper/ 2” headers/ cat delete/ x-pipe/ 2 gallon x tank/ 100-3 pump/ fic 850/ dsx aux kit/ 103mm throttle body/ RPM 5” intake/ meth kit/ prometh lid injection/FI interchiller/ 160* stat/ ngk-7/ msd wires/ elite catch can/ tsp cam/ Che trunnions/ ported supercharger/ 1/2” lid spacer/ brick mod/BMR toe and trailing arms/ 751hp 757 tq SAE @17.3lb on a loaded dyno.
tartagliazl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 08:24 PM   #3
jbanks1124

Drives: 2014 ZL1 Convertible M6 RRM
It sounds great. When I did the first startup and cruise I wasn't sure, but then as the days went by its starting to sound better and better because all the coating on the inside is going away and the carbon is starting to build up.

Its probably a little deeper than stock at idle and then louder when full throttle. The sound is clean, meaning all tone and zero drone. I had previously done a fuse pull but wanted a lil more. This is probably as good as you can get without doing headers and more. Theres a lot more pops and crackles. It's a hilarious wide smile you get when its crackles as you let off.

Overall it's not as loud as I thought it would be, coming from ATAK on my others past cars, however, I don't regret it whatsoever.

You're very right, it's definitely a lot of money to spend on a chance, but I didn't pull the trigger until I felt pretty good about it.

I'd upload a sound clip but I'm not sure how to do that on here.