Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 03-08-2013, 10:03 PM   #1
AbsoluteMayheM
LongTimeLurker

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Convertible L99
Used the touchless wash today - No issues

I live in Ontario and we have had a horrible winter. When the sun comes out and the roads dry up, I can not resist the urge to take my vert out.

When the weather has been +2 I have taken it to the manual car wash booth and keep it pretty clean. I even get down and spray as much as the undercarriage as I can.

Today it was +10 out. So on my lunch I took my vert to the local touchless wash.
We have a 10 bay manual bay wash center, about 3 years ago they took the last bay on the right and turned it into an electronic stationary touchless wash. So you punch in a code, door rolls up, you drive in and park. The lasers come out, measure your car and your car is washed by a large upside down L shaped robot arm. This wash has a drive through undercarriage option as well.

Took my car through. The wash quality was about 7/10. Which I though was pretty good for $8.

I got the basic wash with the undercarriage option. I did not get any of the fancy wax/rinse options.

I had no leaks, no issues. It's not a SUPER high pressure wash, the gas bar attendant said lots of convertibles have gone through, no one ever had an issue. He said the water pressure is less then the manual bays.

The methods is they spray the car with a soap. Let's it sit for about 45 seconds or so (I never timed it) then rinses and then does a light water spray. Then you drive out.

I have no idea what KIND of wash this is, but it's not the kind that PULLS your ca through.

I just thought I would post in case anyone else wondered about this, like I did.

AbsoluteMayheM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:36 PM   #2
Chris82xx
Make your peace with God!

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS M6 Convertible
I got one exactly like that near me. Hopefully yours is better than mine, but the next time you go through it take a rag and wipe the bottom part of the car. If doesn't really get down that far. My car is black, so it's annoying shit like that, that I notice all the time.

Piece of advice too. When you do the manual wash, before using the brush, spray it down with the water. There's a lot of crap on there, that'll scratch up clear. Not heavily, but it'll swirl it up.
ECS base supercharger (NOVI 1500SL), ECS AlKY control kit, 92mm TB, ARH 1 7/8" LT's non-catted, Borla 3" exhaust, ID850 injectors, Squash fuel system, ECS Big Blower Cam, MGW short throw shifter, DSS 1000hp axles, LGW differential cover, billet caps, Tech AFX heater hoses, Pedders differential bushings, Eaton TrueTrac differential, PRC dual valve springs, Katech C5R timing chain, ATI balancer, Meilings oil pump, Pfadt Trailing Arms, Pfadt Tie Rods, Pfadt Sway Bars, Pfadt End Links, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft

811RWHP/719RWTQ

UNDER MAJOR OVERHAUL!!
Chris82xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:51 AM   #3
AbsoluteMayheM
LongTimeLurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris82xx View Post
I got one exactly like that near me. Hopefully yours is better than mine, but the next time you go through it take a rag and wipe the bottom part of the car. If doesn't really get down that far.
That's exactly why I gave the wash quality a 7/10. I had to do the same thing along the bottom of my car.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
Michael Rophone

Drives: Yes
I always get my car washed and dried by hand.

My instructions are clear and concise about being careful with the top.
However, if I'm too bossy, she burns dinner.
Michael Rophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
parkerss

Drives: 2011 SS/RS
You do realize that most car washes use HIGH PH products to get your vehicle clean. Meaning their like a acid on your car. It loosens everything up and than the water pressure blows off the now "mud" . Than they use a low PH product to try and rinse and neutralize the HIGH PH product. EVERY wash...basic to premium...uses this method. The undercarriage wash is really a joke. Its so low pressure that it might get a light coat of dirt off and thats about it. So that nice soft top you have, some poor rinses and like magic things become brittle and leak.Chrome...dulls. Decals..loosen up. Rims...get a nice new dull dirty look to them. Paint..IT WILL dull. Paint chips..allow chemicals to get under paint and begin the rust process. Plastics..nothing will change with those. So just hand wash your vehicle and enjoy doing it and massaging her all the time
Old 03-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #6
RoadieWingZ

Drives: 2013 Black Camaro 1LS
There's a touch less wash unit at about 50% of the gas stations around here so they're basically everywhere. As Op says they're only bout a 7 of 10 and good for a rinse between hand washes. They never really get the film of dirt off that right on top of the clear coat.

2013 Camaro LS
RoadieWingZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:33 PM   #7
AbsoluteMayheM
LongTimeLurker

I thought I would post because some Camaro owners can't hand wash for whatever the reason may be and that is the only option. I used this was and it did not damage my rag top. Thus I posted it