Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 07:52 AM   #127
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
I think what I find so funny about these threads is that, as much as I like my car, it's just a camaro. a dime a dozen production car that GM makes 7-8k of every month. to listen to some of these guys you'd think they were cruising in a Maserati, Porsche, lambo, or even a corvette. it's a 400hp car that anyone with a decent job can buy. Hell, you can pick them up used in the low 30's. there arn't many people out there cruising in a 6 because that extra $75 a month on their payment would bankrupt them. people choose what they choose for other reason.
It's not just purchase price, maintenance and general ownership costs are higher with the V8 models too. Not to mention the people that buy the V8 models tend to get more speeding tickets....
Old 06-09-2013, 08:03 AM   #128
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
It's not just purchase price, maintenance and general ownership costs are higher with the V8 models too. Not to mention the people that buy the V8 models tend to get more speeding tickets....

yea, but everything is extended service intervals now. for example, people may choose to change their oil at 3k, but they don't have too. and any new car (excluding oil changes) is pretty much maintenance free for 90k miles. I get your point though. I just find it funny how some here have to brag about their V8 as though it were some kind of supercar. it's faster than the 6, but it's not setting records at Nuremberg.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:08 AM   #129
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
yea, but everything is extended service intervals now. for example, people may choose to change their oil at 3k, but they don't have too. and any new car (excluding oil changes) is pretty much maintenance free for 90k miles. I get your point though. I just find it funny how some here have to brag about their V8 as though it were some kind of supercar. it's faster than the 6, but it's not setting records at Nuremberg.
Those P Zero's the SS guys tend to want to do burnouts with showing off or at the dragstrip aren't cheap either
I know it's kind of silly to put down a V6 because the SS is faster, I bet there isn't one V6 buyer that didn't know that when they bought it. I just don't need it.
One thing I paid Cash for my car so that $8k difference meant a lot to me, I am tired of giving the bank several thousand more dollars on top of that just to be able to buy something I don't really want or need.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #130
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
Long ass answer.

Any vehicle can be geared to launch from a stop. The fun starts when the V8 can rip up to 50 instead of a V6 needing a shift at 40 or a 4 cylinder at 30.

Nice and a lot of fun either way.

But when that shift comes and the V8 doesn't slow one iota that is the thrill.
Better than that when a V8 is shifted into third at 75 it still doesn't stop pulling. Bang your head back. 110MPH Umm...

It's to bad that it is illegal in the US.
But some of us cross the line.

Shit, it's time to take my blood pressure medication. Hit post.
The LS3 can get to 50 in 1st, but not the L99 so that's not V8 thing. Also, the rev limiter is higher on the V6, so after the shift from 1-2 or 2-3 it lands right in the sweet spot of the power curve.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:48 AM   #131
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Morning all, good to see we are having some actual informative posts, instead of all the BS bashing!

Off topic: just rode the new transformers ride at universal Orlando and loved it.

Sent from my 2SS/RS
Old 06-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #132
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_acoustic View Post
So the v6 is faster? lol jk

The reason why I am asking so much is because I get alot of support from you guys about what to do and what not to do and I am at a total complete stand still with what I want to do.

I love speed and performance but I love the milage in my 6 and I love the color that I cant seem to find anywhere else near me...

Its so hard to decide and i'm sorry for posting so much guys.
What you need to do is start asking YOURSELF, what are you trying to accomplish, if you want speed, go get the V8, want MPG stay with the V6, want a little of both mod the V6 full bolt ons that I have ran me approx. $2500. doing the install myself. This left plenty of money for some nice cosmetics, and handling stuff. I get compliments all the time about how great my Camaro sounds, looks and performs. Oh and I can get over 30 MPG while cruising on the highway at 70 mph.

So do YOURSELF a favor, start asking YOURSELF what YOU want not what EVERYONE else thinks you should do.

All your questions do is get this FORUM into a frenzy and creates a hostile environment for the V6 and V8 bashing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usranger80 View Post
I can't have a good looking car and save some money on gas to make it look better too? Not all of us need to drive fast to get a thrill...and 30mpg on a beautiful car is one of the main reasons I chose a camaro. Your 426 hp doesn't matter when you blow me away and we both wind up stuck at the very next red light together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
I guess you don't get out much. More then half of the Camaro owners I personally know are men V6 owners.

You really need to quit while you're ahead and go to bed.

Sent from my 2SS/RS

I know more men V6 owners than women V6 owners, at least in our club anyway.

Quote:
It's the V8 owners that say things like a V6 Camaro is not deserving to exist that ruffle the feathers of V6 owners.
If the SS fits your needs then good for you, if the ZL1 fits your needs then good for you, if a V6 fits your needs then good for you, NOBODY SHOULD BE SLAMMING ANY MODEL OF THE CAMARO OR THEIR OWNERS BECAUSE IT IS NOT WHAT YOU WOULD BUY.
Many SS owners are respectful of what others choose to drive, the OP asked what the real differences were between the two, if he had gotten respectful answers like the v8 has more power with higher performance, better suspension, etc then nothing would have been wrong. But to start calling the V6 a woman's car or rental car or not deserving to be in a Camaro is uncalled for trash talk.

As gretchin pointed out, there are fast lists that will show the difference. Little more research and less creating havoc on the forum, means happy times for all.

every tenth is a car length. need to ask yourself, when you get beat (and you will) can you handle it.

Me I have been lined up with plenty of V8 camaro's at the dragstrip.

I know I am going to get beat, that is not what I bought it for, but I am still having fun, especially when a NEWBE shows up thinking cause he has a V8 it is fast, then watch him fall flat on his face as he doesn't know how to launch or shift and ends up getting beat. It has happened and will happen. Either way it is all in fun.

All this in before the lock.

Now go start some modding or go trade it in and by a V8.

BUT PLEASE STOP ASKING.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #133
StangKiller-SS

Drives: GM products
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSport2011 View Post
People that get v6's are realistic and know that life doesn't revolve around a car. There's much more to life then owning a v8. I guarantee that there are a shyt load of v8 owners that can barely afford their cars but they keep them just so they can talk a big game.
This coming from someone that owns an SS V8 or do you claim to be different than anyone else?

People get V6's thinking that it's a smarter choice until they realize that they are paying just as much in payments and more in insurance than it costs to own a V8 and then they are also disappointed in the fact that their car isn't a V8 SS in the long run. There is nothing more realistic about owning a V6 LS/LT compared to the V8 SS when you look at the big picture and the cost of owning each.

I know this first hand as my grandad and I tried to talk my mom into getting a V8 the first time around when she first bought a 5th gen new in 2011, but she got a 2LT instead. She had a higher car insurance rate than I did with my SS even with her driving record is spotless clean, and 5-6 months later she was regretting not getting an SS. Then after only 1 year after owning the 2LT she traded it in on a 2010 2SS. Only thing she misses from the 2LT she owned is the exterior color of the car.

Listen to all the stories here of people buying an LS or LT V6 and trading up after a year or less of ownership, the worst part is that they are willing to lose $5,000 plus just to do it. What does that tell you? When people buy the V6 it's just personal preference that they feel that they don't need the V8 and at the moment they think it's a more realistic choice but words speak for them selves of what happens in the long run.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:31 AM   #134
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
How is it no more realistic to own an LS/LT than an SS? My car was significantly less than a comparable SSS, has cheaper tires, brakes, oil changes, and fuel costs. It looks pretty realistic to me. I went to tread waters with some SS cars to soothe my curiosity and more than one dealer was selling V6 cars at double the rate of SS cars, minimum. Now, when you get into the LT cars that are running over $30K I agree it makes less sense. But I think each model has a distinct place in the market. A year later, I still love mine
Old 06-09-2013, 09:37 AM   #135
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by StangKiller-SS View Post
Listen to all the stories here of people buying an LS or LT V6 and trading up after a year or less of ownership, .
and listen to all the stories of people who are perfectly happy with their V6. they far exceed those of people trading up I like how the impression is made that all V6 owners are kicking themselves for not getting an 8 and would sell their left arm for one.

everything you posted is simply your personal preference and opinion. nothing wrong with it, but opinions are like assholes. everyone has one.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #136
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
Are you saying you didn't actually compare the price?

My 2011 was $8K, The 2013s are ~$8500.

Different engine, transmission, brakes, suspension, etc.
huh? I thought the OP said he has a LS vs a 2SS?
Old 06-09-2013, 09:56 AM   #137
StangKiller-SS

Drives: GM products
Agreed that there are a lot of people here who love their LS/LT V6's and I don't blame them, there are a lot of beautifully done LS's and LT's here on this site.

It's all personal preferences to each their own, some buy their LS's or LT's and couldn't be happier, others buy them and regret not getting a V8 it all depends on the person. There's not a right or wrong in buying either, just a persons personal choice to whatever will give them their permagrin and it varies from person to person.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #138
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBS View Post
huh? I thought the OP said he has a LS vs a 2SS?
Well if you want to go that far the LS to a ZL1 would be $30,000 difference
Old 06-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #139
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Quote:
It's the V8 owners that say things like a V6 Camaro is not deserving to exist that ruffle the feathers of V6 owners.
If the SS fits your needs then good for you, if the ZL1 fits your needs then good for you, if a V6 fits your needs then good for you, NOBODY SHOULD BE SLAMMING ANY MODEL OF THE CAMARO OR THEIR OWNERS BECAUSE IT IS NOT WHAT YOU WOULD BUY.
Many SS owners are respectful of what others choose to drive, the OP asked what the real differences were between the two, if he had gotten respectful answers like the v8 has more power with higher performance, better suspension, etc then nothing would have been wrong. But to start calling the V6 a woman's car or rental car or not deserving to be in a Camaro is uncalled for trash talk.
Its just silly , The V6 Camaro's look awesome and have plenty of balls . Its a Camaro and my 2010 V6 looks almost exactly as a 2SS, I test drove both and decided the extra $ was going to cut it too tight , I have 3 kids in college and a mortgage payment and like to go out and enjoy life. It is not like the V6 Camaro is 3/4 size , Like they did the Mustangs 4 bangers
Old 06-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #140
SuperSport2011

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs rally yellow L99
what I'm trying to say is that some people can afford a v8 but don't care to because they got other hobbies and like to have more money in their pocket. They also buy the v6 because it looks badass and it's more then enough for their wants/needs. The reason some people "realize" they should have got a v8 is because of morons that have the need to go out there way to talk trash. Most people that do, have minivans or shitboxes and the v8 guys, I don't know what their deal is [probably a need to pump their ego]. Enjoy what you have and shut your mouth and let others enjoy theirs. And if you're wondering why I'm saying all this it's because when I see a v6 at the car wash or I bump into someone in a parking lot the last thing that crosses my mind is ''should have got a v8'' I just say nice car and actually ask questions so I can learn more about it. I don't live there lives and I don't make the payments so no need to talk down on there choices.
- Kooks high flow cats - Borla atak 2.5" cat back exhaust - Dyno tune - AFM delete - 94 octane tune - Vitesse paddle shifters - Blacked out rims - Costum painted engine cover - T3 stripes - GM locking gas cap

Closed Thread