Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-13-2022, 02:19 PM   #1
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Drives: a car with 8 cylinders
Back in a ZL1 again!!!

Pulled the trigger on another 2014 and it's shipping down to me from Kansas.

I have a question for anyone that ONLY has the upper pulley done on their ZL1... how does it feel compared to the factory feel? Any complaints?

The ZL1 I bought has an upper pulley and it was tuned for it. Nothing else has been done to it, so I'm curious to know what y'alls experience have been.

Thanks!

flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 05:18 PM   #2
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Does anyone have dyno numbers on just a 2.5 upper pulley mod?

Old 02-20-2022, 08:15 PM   #3
ogdrew

Drives: 2013 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstyledsm22 View Post
Does anyone have dyno numbers on just a 2.5 upper pulley mod?
The official LSA Dyno Thread should be of help, it's stickied at the top of the ZL1 specific forums
ogdrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 12:41 PM   #4
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogdrew View Post
The official LSA Dyno Thread should be of help, it's stickied at the top of the ZL1 specific forums
Read through all 24 pages and didn't see any with just an upper pulley mod.

The car should be in my possession tomorrow, as it still hasn't shipped from Kansas yet... should be on its way down sometime today though.

Anyways, I'm taking it straight to Recoil Racing to have it thoroughly inspected and while it's there, I'll get it on a dyno, so I'll be posting some data soon.

Old 02-21-2022, 01:50 PM   #5
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Read through all 24 pages and didn't see any with just an upper pulley mod.

The car should be in my possession tomorrow, as it still hasn't shipped from Kansas yet... should be on its way down sometime today though.

Anyways, I'm taking it straight to Recoil Racing to have it thoroughly inspected and while it's there, I'll get it on a dyno, so I'll be posting some data soon.
An 8.66 lower is 10-11% which is max without a tune, plugs, fuel. Since a 2.55 upper is 18% and you noted everything else is stock except the tune, I don’t think you may find any number as that’s an unsafe combination.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 08:22 PM   #6
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
An 8.66 lower is 10-11% which is max without a tune, plugs, fuel. Since a 2.55 upper is 18% and you noted everything else is stock except the tune, I don’t think you may find any number as that’s an unsafe combination.
Welp, the car arrived today and first thing I did was pop the hood and looked. Everything looks stock except for the green belt and 2.45 Griptec pulley...

I'm not feeling too good about that mod now that you said it is an unsafe combination. I'm taking it straight to Recoil Racing this weekend and Jerry will dig into it for me. Hopefully the engine wasn't hurt and a miracle tune was put on the car by the previous tuner. I tried like hell to look up the old tuner as well and couldn't find anything on him... someone by the name of John Simpson with JS Performance.

If any of you can validate that shop and/or has that guys number, please let me know.

Thanks,
-Ben-

Old 02-27-2022, 01:36 PM   #7
JBZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
I have headers, off road pipes, Cai, LS3 TB, 2.5 upper, colder plugs, ID850 injectors, ported blower, afco IC. I made 630hp and 650ft lbs to the wheels, it goes pretty good lol
No lower pulley

2012 ZL1 preproduction car #13
ROTO-FAB intake / IC reservoir , 2.85" upper , ported inlet
JBZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 09:12 AM   #8
TIMZ71

Drives: 2013 ZL1 vert
Congrats on your new to you ZL1 ! Great looking car, ( but im biased LOL)

Do you have a Wideband and tuning software to log and see where your at tune wise?

TIMZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 08:09 PM   #9
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

So I got it over to a shop in the area (Aces Performance) and they did a base run to see where the car was at. It made 546 rwhp, but they said at the top of the rpm range it was starting to pull timing and knock. Also the duty cycle was set at well over 100% and was running rich. This was only with the 2.45 Griptec upper and Gates HD belt.

They suggested I open up the exhaust to have better flow, so I let them do that. There's a list of other things I need to add to really level it out, but they said with the better flowing exhaust, he can put a safe tune on it for the time being.

With the better flowing exhaust and safer tune, it made 534 rwhp.
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2022, 05:21 AM   #10
tartagliazl1

Drives: 2013 zl1 vert
what did they do to open the exhaust? You lost 12 hp after they opened it. Sounds like you're in need of some injectors and a proper tune.
22% lower/ 2.5 upper/ 2” headers/ cat delete/ x-pipe/ 2 gallon x tank/ 100-3 pump/ fic 850/ dsx aux kit/ 103mm throttle body/ RPM 5” intake/ meth kit/ prometh lid injection/FI interchiller/ 160* stat/ ngk-7/ msd wires/ elite catch can/ tsp cam/ Che trunnions/ ported supercharger/ 1/2” lid spacer/ brick mod/BMR toe and trailing arms/ 751hp 757 tq SAE @17.3lb on a loaded dyno.
tartagliazl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 07:47 AM   #11
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Quote:
This was only with the 2.45 Griptec upper and Gates HD belt.
2.45 is 23% OD and almost 21k.

Yeah. Supporting mods are necessary, and a good tune, or bad things can happen.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 11:29 AM   #12
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Welp, the car arrived today and first thing I did was pop the hood and looked. Everything looks stock except for the green belt and 2.45 Griptec pulley...

I'm not feeling too good about that mod now that you said it is an unsafe combination. I'm taking it straight to Recoil Racing this weekend and Jerry will dig into it for me. Hopefully the engine wasn't hurt and a miracle tune was put on the car by the previous tuner. I tried like hell to look up the old tuner as well and couldn't find anything on him... someone by the name of John Simpson with JS Performance.

If any of you can validate that shop and/or has that guys number, please let me know.

Thanks,
-Ben-
You are definitely running a dangerous combination on pump fuel and stock injectors.

Injectors should never exceed 80% duty cycle and a 10% pulley will put it right there. your 23% pulley is pushing the injectors and fuel pressure is dropping hard.

In order to run 18% which is max I recommend on a stock cam you need the following.

Rotofab
18% pulley
Long Tube headers with high flow cats
ID1050x injectors
JMS fuel system voltage booster
Crank Case Breather kit
Catch can
Colder plugs TR7IX
MSD wires
And a very good tune

You will need to be on 91-93 octane to run this combo at full potential.

This is our JRE 125 RWHP package.

Feel free to give me a call to discuss.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 10:07 AM   #13
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
It sounds like it still isn't right. A stock NPP exhaust is open enough unless going for much higher hp.
I'd try to fix it better. Either step up to a proper 125hp type package, or a proper 75hp type of package which isn't that hard or expensive.
silversleeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 07:03 PM   #14
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Well it's really for the wife and she doesn't like how the no cats sound, even with resanators on it. I am pulling the pulley off and replacing it with a 3" Griptec. Also putting hi-flow cats back on, tuning it back down, and adding a rotofab.

When she gets bored with it not having enough grunt, I'll revisit the idea of getting a proper 125rwhp kit installed.