Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-20-2022, 04:23 PM   #15
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
This isn't an LSA but an LT4 with no additional boost. I am having a hard time believing a WOT pull starts blowing oil through seals.There must be more to the story.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 05:18 PM   #16
Nmbr1gmfan

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
No Pullies, so standard boost so that shouldn't happen unless they got some massive block with the borla.
1) It shouldn't be leaking oil at all so there's an issue someplace.
2) A plugged exhaust will show many different issues before it would ever effect the crankcase. Like overheating issues.
Old 02-20-2022, 06:22 PM   #17
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Just a crazy idea, but any chance of one more dyno pull to confirm the oil issue ?? and that the oil issue still remains ??
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 10:41 AM   #18
onequicks10

Drives: 2022 Camaro Zl1
I didn't realize there were so many responses to this. I have it at the shop again as of yesterday actually. They are going to look and make sure it is a front crank seal. Definitely looked like it. For all the responses, it was absolutely only under WOT in the higher RPM range. It only happened the one time because I still had to drive home. We checked it very close on the dyno, all various speeds. I put another 200-300 miles on it since then and absolutely no leaks. Drove it all the way back to him(hour drive one way) was not leaking at all when it got there. The plan was to inspect it close and let me know.

He actually is texting me as I am typing this, and the front main was installed in the motor backwards....which would explain pushing oil out at high RPM
onequicks10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 11:32 AM   #19
HDRDTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by onequicks10 View Post
I didn't realize there were so many responses to this. I have it at the shop again as of yesterday actually. They are going to look and make sure it is a front crank seal. Definitely looked like it. For all the responses, it was absolutely only under WOT in the higher RPM range. It only happened the one time because I still had to drive home. We checked it very close on the dyno, all various speeds. I put another 200-300 miles on it since then and absolutely no leaks. Drove it all the way back to him(hour drive one way) was not leaking at all when it got there. The plan was to inspect it close and let me know.

He actually is texting me as I am typing this, and the front main was installed in the motor backwards....which would explain pushing oil out at high RPM

The factory installed the seal backwards ??
Old 02-25-2022, 12:08 PM   #20
onequicks10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
The factory installed the seal backwards ??
Correct. It is in facing the wrong direction.
Old 02-25-2022, 07:04 PM   #21
ZMEnow

Quote:
Correct. It is in facing the wrong direction.

Ain't buying that... Not even for a sec...
Old 02-26-2022, 07:55 AM   #22
onequicks10

Quote:
Ain't buying that... Not even for a sec...
lol ok...Ill upload pictures this afternoon. I have already started a case with GM, to A let them know and B see if they will reimburse me for the labor at the shop that fixed it. Its up and running and getting tuned today.
Old 02-26-2022, 08:56 AM   #23
ZMEnow

Quote:
lol ok...Ill upload pictures this afternoon. I have already started a case with GM, to A let them know and B see if they will reimburse me for the labor at the shop that fixed it. Its up and running and getting tuned today.
The LT4 is hand built in Bowling Green by a few select and that’s all they do. They complete the engine entirely by themselves, it’s the same team that builds the vette z motors so no question GM can tell you who built that motor and I have a hard time believing they would gap out on the timing chain cover. You have lost your leverage with GM as I just described your uphill battle and then when you tell them you have headers, Borla exhaust and modified the ECU, I believe you will get your walking papers. But let’s hope not..
Old 02-26-2022, 10:06 AM   #24
onequicks10

Quote:
The LT4 is hand built in Bowling Green by a few select and that’s all they do. They complete the engine entirely by themselves, it’s the same team that builds the vette z motors so no question GM can tell you who built that motor and I have a hard time believing they would gap out on the timing chain cover. You have lost your leverage with GM as I just described your uphill battle and then when you tell them you have headers, Borla exhaust and modified the ECU, I believe you will get your walking papers. But let’s hope not..
Yep I understand that. The guys name who built it is actually on the motor itself. I worked for dealerships for years, I totally know it is an uphill battle, expectations are definitely low. But I’m going to try. It definitely was put in backwards which is absolutely crazy. I have the pictures on my phone, when I get home later this afternoon I will upload them to this thread.
Old 02-26-2022, 11:36 AM   #25
HDRDTD

I agree it's a uphill battle with GM, especially if you take pictures of it yourself then have it fixed.
If you had let GM take photos before you fixed it, you'd have a better chance.

In the end, considering the steepness of the uphill battle, is it really worth the time and trouble to pursue the battle?

Unless it's just a matter of principle.
Old 02-26-2022, 01:30 PM   #26
ZMEnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
I agree it's a uphill battle with GM, especially if you take pictures of it yourself then have it fixed.
If you had let GM take photos before you fixed it, you'd have a better chance.

In the end, considering the steepness of the uphill battle, is it really worth the time and trouble to pursue the battle?

Unless it's just a matter of principle.

Yep opening a case now is just going to escalate to a GM Regional Service mgr that will just increase the speed of your warranty being dismissed.
Old 02-26-2022, 05:13 PM   #27
onequicks10

Here are the before and after pics. It absolutely is about principle and them knowing this happened. These are very expensive and specific cars that only certain people can buy or even want.

I honestly don't care about the warranty, I modified knowing the warranty would be voided, I know how dealerships work. BUT my headers/exhaust/CAI/tune did not install that seal backwards, and if the seal was installed correct it would not have leaked. Thats all I am getting at.
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2022, 07:31 PM   #28
ZMEnow

Quote:
Here are the before and after pics. It absolutely is about principle and them knowing this happened. These are very expensive and specific cars that only certain people can buy or even want.

I honestly don't care about the warranty, I modified knowing the warranty would be voided, I know how dealerships work. BUT my headers/exhaust/CAI/tune did not install that seal backwards, and if the seal was installed correct it would not have leaked. Thats all I am getting at.
I think you can reach the performance build center at bowling green to discuss.