Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-14-2016, 08:16 PM   #15
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Blaming Snap-Chat is akin to blaming McDonalds because someone was distracted by a french fry.

It scares the crap out of me, what I see on the road every day. People STARING at their phones on top of 50 other distractions. Defensive driving has taken on a whole new meaning these days. Watching out for distracted drivers is just part of my driving habits now.

I NEVER go on green until I look. Right of way doesn't help if you're dead.

When I slow down to stop? I check my rear-view and MAKE SURE the driver behind me is paying attention. People who have been rear-ended know what I am talking about.

Impossible at night BTW, but there are things you can do. Pump your breaks for one. Flashing red sometimes gets them to look up from their texting...

There are lots of other things. You can still have fun, but man you have to be ready for "you-know-who". You know, the guy in the lane to your right who STOPPED in the middle of the freeway so he could crowd into the next lane (bmper to bumper) to his right. Of course on a curve so you don't see him until you get over... BAM!

Do you guys know what "speed differential" is? Every cop does because it's a MAJOR cause of high fatality accidents. Far right lane heading for a crowded exit could be 5 MPH. Next lane to the left is going 50. That's a 45MPH speed differential. The higher the differential, the higher the chance of a fatality. Be super careful when the other lanes are moving a lot faster or slower than yours.

Keep your eyes open, your mind on the road and be safe people. We have all lost someone already, don't let someone else loose you.

I feel for those girls and their families. It's a horrible tragedy. The real tragedy is that they were not educated. The blessing is they didn't take out even more innocent people.

JMHO as always.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:19 AM   #16
hazy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I have a bud (coworker) that does this regularly. It's borderline terrifying. In addition to his drunk ass messing around late night on the beltway, he sends these pics to me on occasion. I keep trying to get him to slow down and realize that just bc nothing's happened yet doesn't mean that something eventually won't, but he's incorrigible.

Here's the last one he sent..as a matter of fact, this was only 3 or 4 days ago..not saying I never drive fast, but I sure as hell don't drive fast and take pictures...

Hopefully he'll learn the not-hard way. His car is bone stock now, but still pretty quick. He's getting headers/catback/intake/tune very soon, and will have a bit more power on tap. I can only imagine how bad the wreck would be at 125+ in that itty bitty 'vette of his...

hazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:51 AM   #17
arkentect

Drives: 2010 Camaro SGM 1LT M6
In the midst of the all the bad, its a testament to the crash safety of the Camaro. +70mph into a parked Semi and they survived until the flames got to them.
arkentect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:34 AM   #18
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Snap Chat doesn't kill people, people kill people.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:51 AM   #19
CapeCruisin
Daily Driver 24/7 365

Drives: '15 CRT 2SS/RS/1LE
Ahhh yeah... I've done this before... might need to retire my multi-tasking soon before I become a statistic.
2014 RRM Camaro 1LT/RS A6/NPP CAI
Follow Me On Instagram!
CapeCruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:55 AM   #20
CapeCruisin
Daily Driver 24/7 365

Ugh.

The part where it says "the observer heard people screaming but couldn't get close enough to the car due to the flames" really tugs the heart strings. One of my worst fears is being burned alive.
Follow Me On Instagram!
Old 02-15-2016, 10:09 AM   #21
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Truly a tragedy and sad lose of life. As other's have said, the fault lays squarely and 100% on the driver, not Snapchat ... regardless of the reason, they (the driver) choose not to focus on what they should have and to drive the way they did.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:46 AM   #22
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkentect View Post
In the midst of the all the bad, its a testament to the crash safety of the Camaro. +70mph into a parked Semi and they survived until the flames got to them.
No one knows that for sure. I bet they were killed instantly from the
impact. The entire upper body of the car is gone. decapitated imo.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:53 AM   #23
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Sold - Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Sad
Old 02-15-2016, 11:08 AM   #24
Irace16

Drives: 2010 1SS RS M6
Speedo on the vette showed 135 ...
Old 02-15-2016, 11:11 AM   #25
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welker2 View Post
Truly a tragedy and sad lose of life. As other's have said, the fault lays squarely and 100% on the driver, not Snapchat ... regardless of the reason, they (the driver) choose not to focus on what they should have and to drive the way they did.
Agree, there's a time and place for everything, and snapchatting or whatever while driving is neither the time nor the place.

I feel bad for the families, as this is never easy to deal with. It's just a case of that youthful sense of immortality.

We come into this world with a full bag of luck and an empty bag of experience. The goal is to fill the bag of experience before the bag of luck goes empty.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:50 AM   #26
Pluto

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
I see what everyone is saying, but how do we know these girls weren't intoxicated as well? I just skimmed through the read, but it says they were at a bar and a house party. I'm willing to bet they had been drinking as well.

Small, but effective mod list:

Roto-Fab Intake, TSP 2" Long tubes, TSP catless mids, MSD spark plug wires, stock catback, Elite Catch Can, APEX washer relocation and scoop, VMAX throttle body, Diablo InTune-Tuned by Matt@FSP, and a JacFab license plate bracket.
Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 12:19 PM   #27
CapeCruisin
Daily Driver 24/7 365

Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
No one knows that for sure. I bet they were killed instantly from the
impact. The entire upper body of the car is gone. decapitated imo.
Read the article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
I see what everyone is saying, but how do we know these girls weren't intoxicated as well? I just skimmed through the read, but it says they were at a bar and a house party. I'm willing to bet they had been drinking as well.
Aye.
Follow Me On Instagram!
Old 02-15-2016, 01:35 PM   #28
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
^^^^ CapeCruisin: I read the article. Don't believe everything you read. I doubt the front seat
occupants survived the impact- Look at the car !