Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 05-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #15
Monchy36
ZLT!!! COTW (8/5/13)

Drives: 2011 IOM 1LT RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by brilliant_b View Post
Here's an idea guys:

In the Fuse Box, jumper from the input of a "constant on" fuse to the input of the cigarette lighter fuse. This should cause the cigarette lighter to remain 12v when the car is off, without having to run a long wire to the shift console.
Can you post a photo showing this? I have the cell problem...
Monchy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:53 PM   #16
Monchy36
ZLT!!! COTW (8/5/13)

Well I follow brilliant b advice... Works like a charm!
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #17
sjmautoprod

Drives: '16 2SS
Good idea! It looks like you are running the power outlet through that 5A fuse, though.
sjmautoprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:28 PM   #18
Monchy36
ZLT!!! COTW (8/5/13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmautoprod View Post
Good idea! It looks like you are running the power outlet through that 5A fuse, though.
I should be lower than that?
Old 05-26-2013, 03:56 PM   #19
sjmautoprod

No. Not sure how that 5A is connected to power, but, it would be better to move the wire to the other side of it. That way, you are not going through the 5A fuse first.

Also, you are bypassing the 20A fuse that way. Seems like you should just move both wires to the other side.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:39 PM   #20
Monchy36
ZLT!!! COTW (8/5/13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmautoprod View Post
No. Not sure how that 5A is connected to power, but, it would be better to move the wire to the other side of it. That way, you are not going through the 5A fuse first.

Also, you are bypassing the 20A fuse that way. Seems like you should just move both wires to the other side.
I don't know to much about this but other member mention that putting the wire on the right is the safe side...
Old 05-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #21
sjmautoprod

Correct. "Safe" being after fuse, but, for what you are doing, it should be the other side.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:02 AM   #22
Black Knight

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monchy36 View Post
Well I follow brilliant b advice... Works like a charm!
This seems like the easiest way to do this . Have you had any problems ?
And did you keep the wire on that side of that 5A fuse?
Old 11-09-2018, 03:46 PM   #23
adamx

Drives: 2010 camaro
I know this is old, but can anyone comment about which side of the fuses to wire together and explain why more clearly?
adamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:36 PM   #24
Zl1dad
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamx View Post
I know this is old, but can anyone comment about which side of the fuses to wire together and explain why more clearly?
Pull the fuse and use test light to see which side of the fuse power comes in. Put the wire on the power source side of each fuse. This way your drawing before the 1st fuse(if it blew you would still have power to cig lighter) and then your adding power to the cig fuse on the source side so it would still blow the fuse in the even on over loading the circuit. I would use a fused jumper wire though for added safety bc your essentially connecting 2 unfused circuits together otherwise.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
Zl1dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:21 PM   #25
Zl1dad
Account Suspended

On another note, if your supplying power to an ignition circuit, when that circuit is supposed to be off, doesnt that mean your supplying everything ignition controlled with power? Electricity will back flow. May wanna check that. Just bc you can doesnt mean you should.

Could that be the reason battery dies in 3 days and not from a phone being charged. Yes cig lighter is only drawing when phone is plugged in but all the other circuits your feeding by supplying power to them could be the cause . A diode on the cig supply side would correct this but not sure you wanna tear apart fuse box to add it bc it would need to be installed before the fuse.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:57 PM   #26
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zl1dad View Post
On another note, if your supplying power to an ignition circuit, when that circuit is supposed to be off, doesnt that mean your supplying everything ignition controlled with power? Electricity will back flow. May wanna check that. Just bc you can doesnt mean you should.

Could that be the reason battery dies in 3 days and not from a phone being charged. Yes cig lighter is only drawing when phone is plugged in but all the other circuits your feeding by supplying power to them could be the cause . A diode on the cig supply side would correct this but not sure you wanna tear apart fuse box to add it bc it would need to be installed before the fuse.

No, you aren't back feeding anything. It's just another leg off the hot.
If you were supplying power to the outlets from another source while it is still connected to the fuse box, that could back feed some circuits.

A phone charger will draw current when plugged in even without a phone connected.

Here is another method to power the outlets: Accessory Power Plug(s) - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
Old 11-09-2018, 11:57 PM   #27
adamx

Drives: 2010 camaro
"2 unfused sources together"

I don't quite follow. You are bypassing the first fuse, but def not the second, so I'm not sure what the import of this statement is. Further, could you connect the output of the first fuse to the input of the second, then you'd have two fuses before it gets to the lighter right?
adamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:01 PM   #28
Zl1dad
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamx View Post
"2 unfused sources together"

I don't quite follow. You are bypassing the first fuse, but def not the second, so I'm not sure what the import of this statement is. Further, could you connect the output of the first fuse to the input of the second, then you'd have two fuses before it gets to the lighter right?
If you use the outlet of first fuse then your over loading that fuse. And no, your not bypassing the 2nd but if that fuse was to blow and that circuit shorted out there is no fuse protecting wires bc you went before the 5amp fuse. Click the link above. Much simpler jumping relay.