Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 08-12-2010, 09:17 PM   #29
MiSTER

Drives: 2010 2SS CGM Camaro, 1988 6.6L IROC
It seems that this issue happens even with the short shifters that just replace the stick itself to a shorter one. Does this happen when the entire shifter assembly like the MGW is replaced?
MiSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:02 PM   #30
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
I get that grind mainly between 1st and 2nd on hard acceleration. It's really getting to me since I know if it's not fixed, I'll have tranny problems in the future.
Same issue with mine before I moved on. I could never shift fast from 1st to second without some grind. The Barton shifter helped some but the issue never went away.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:09 PM   #31
SuperFly03

Drives: 2010 Kona Blue GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Same problem here! I installed a Hurst shifter but same problem. I had the car in to the dealer before I installed the shifter and of course they said nothing is wrong. It's done it from day 1 and I have 6,000 miles on it now. I heard that using Mobil One synthetic ATF helps. Eager to see what they find with SuperFly03's car!
Piece of monkey shat dealer.

I took it in there for 6 problems, each of which I could point to a TSB and the dealer claimed that all of the testing falls within tolerances. I showed him the video of my suspension making that clunky noise and I got nothing. The guy wouldn't do shit.

I thought about starting an argument and getting huffy but I'm already thinking of selling the car and buying a GT500. Reason being that I thoroughly enjoy the view out of the GT500 more than the Camaro not to mention the true navigation. I also had less mechanical difficulties with the Shelby than I have had with the Camaro.

So since I wasn't dead set on keeping it and it could easily be gone in 2-3 weeks I decided to just take my car back and think about it. None of the problems I have will show up on trade in of the car so they really only need to be fixed if I keep it.

VERY disappointing.

You've been Thread Jacked by SF03!
Current Car: 2010 Kona Blue Shelby GT500 M6
Previous Car:
2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Two Back: 2007 Black Shelby GT500 M6
SuperFly03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:17 AM   #32
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFly03 View Post
Piece of monkey shat dealer.

I took it in there for 6 problems, each of which I could point to a TSB and the dealer claimed that all of the testing falls within tolerances. I showed him the video of my suspension making that clunky noise and I got nothing. The guy wouldn't do shit.

I thought about starting an argument and getting huffy but I'm already thinking of selling the car and buying a GT500. Reason being that I thoroughly enjoy the view out of the GT500 more than the Camaro not to mention the true navigation. I also had less mechanical difficulties with the Shelby than I have had with the Camaro.

So since I wasn't dead set on keeping it and it could easily be gone in 2-3 weeks I decided to just take my car back and think about it. None of the problems I have will show up on trade in of the car so they really only need to be fixed if I keep it.

VERY disappointing.
I think you are a good candidate for a trade in like I was. I loved my Camaro SS however with all the problems I could not see it surviving long past its warranty without me having to spend some big change on it at some point. Shifting should be smooth and not clunky. None of the Camaro's competitors have clunky shifters, even the ones using the same Tremec model. I have yet to hear of one person posting how smooth their Camaro shifter is compared to "XXXX" other vehicle. It is usually the opposite.. That should wake some engineers up in my opinion..
Old 08-13-2010, 10:30 AM   #33
SuperFly03

Drives: 2010 Kona Blue GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
I think you are a good candidate for a trade in like I was. I loved my Camaro SS however with all the problems I could not see it surviving long past its warranty without me having to spend some big change on it at some point. Shifting should be smooth and not clunky. None of the Camaro's competitors have clunky shifters, even the ones using the same Tremec model. I have yet to hear of one person posting how smooth their Camaro shifter is compared to "XXXX" other vehicle. It is usually the opposite.. That should wake some engineers up in my opinion..
Yeah. I just need some cash before I throw down for a Shelby (which is what I would get). I don't like the Challenger, just a personal thing. I'm really not a fan.

I really don't think mine will last past warranty w/o something giving out fast and being expensive. I can see my gears falling out and costing me $2k or the suspension caving of the axle breaking or whatever.

I could have tried to hit up the lemon law but I was so busy with work that I couldn't get it to the dealer before 10k miles so now I'm screwed and I have to take the hit on a trade-in which blows. Big time.

I could get a GT premium today... but that wouldn't fit me. It needs to be a GT500.

You've been Thread Jacked by SF03!
Current Car: 2010 Kona Blue Shelby GT500 M6
Previous Car:
2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Two Back: 2007 Black Shelby GT500 M6
SuperFly03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:41 AM   #34
usmcjlp

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3 RJT
Superfly,

Sorry to hear about your issues. What problems have you had?

I haven't had any issues other than a paint rub on my rear fascia because the gap was too tight. My dealer paid to have it repainted at a body shop of my choosing, no questions asked. I got an estimate and they cut me a check. My dealer is Rodgers Chevrolet. What dealer are you using? Some dealers can be pricks.

I don't like the feel of the 1-2 shift. But I have never ground the gears. I simply don't force it if it won't go easily. PM me if your dealer won't help you. I will contact my dealer to see what she can do for you. Any dealer can do warranty work. I live in DC and bought in Detroit because I felt my local dealers were dishonest and price gauging.

Supermans,

I have seen many of your posts and never commented as you are usually pretty fair minded. But this thread it seems like you are just trying to recruit people to your way of thinking. If you feel that strongly, I don't see what purpose you serve here other than trolling. I mean how much free time do you have to continuously surf a website dedicated to a vehicle you think is a piece of junk?
usmcjlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:35 PM   #35
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Superfly, sorry to hear that your dealership are such deusch bags! Mine basicly wrote my problem off too. First time they said no trouble found, second time they said they'd make a note of it. I'm going to talk to the sales manager next to see if he can escelate the service dep't to take a harder look. I love my Camaro but this is a real thorn in the side. I mean, what good is a sports/muscle car if you can't shift gears when reving it up. I wonder how many drags were lost by guys miss shifting in these cars, or lost time on the track due to missed shifts!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:51 PM   #36
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFly03 View Post
Yeah. I just need some cash before I throw down for a Shelby (which is what I would get). I don't like the Challenger, just a personal thing. I'm really not a fan.

I really don't think mine will last past warranty w/o something giving out fast and being expensive. I can see my gears falling out and costing me $2k or the suspension caving of the axle breaking or whatever.

I could have tried to hit up the lemon law but I was so busy with work that I couldn't get it to the dealer before 10k miles so now I'm screwed and I have to take the hit on a trade-in which blows. Big time.

I could get a GT premium today... but that wouldn't fit me. It needs to be a GT500.
I have to tell you, I've driven a 2010 GT500 around a track and also driven the new 2011 GT 5.0 around the same track and the acceleration feels the same. The 5.0 felt lighter and easier on the turns. Between the two, I would pick the 5.0. Now I haven't driven the 2011 GT500 which is faster than both, however the only way I would say you need the new GT500 is if you are gong to use that extra HP and quick acceleration. If not, I would highly consider a 2011 5.0 and if you like the look of the Shelby, just buy the hood and front fascia aftermarket and save yourself some money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcjlp View Post
Supermans,

I have seen many of your posts and never commented as you are usually pretty fair minded. But this thread it seems like you are just trying to recruit people to your way of thinking. If you feel that strongly, I don't see what purpose you serve here other than trolling. I mean how much free time do you have to continuously surf a website dedicated to a vehicle you think is a piece of junk?
Superfly clearly is interested in a Mustang so there is no trolling here. When did I call the camaro "a piece of junk". All of the problems I faced are pretty much what most everyone else on this forum including GTHAVIT and other moderators have faced at some point or another with the early build Camaro's. We all knew what we were getting into getting a first run car that has been out of production for 10 years and built on a new platform.. If you read this thread, I mentioned I loved the Camaro, however certain items which would not be covered until they failed at the dealer were acting up on me which accelerated my trade in. If you read my other posts, I first looked into trading it in for another Camaro SS 2011, however the one I wanted wouldn't come for a few months and I needed to take advantage of my credit unions special 2.99% APR for 60 months and the high trade in value of the 2010 Camaro's. Waiting meant getting a lower trade in for it so I couldn't wait two months.. Go back and read my early posts before accusing me of trolling..

Last edited by Supermans; 08-13-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:41 AM   #37
Al Robinson
RACKM

Drives: 2001 Mazda MilleniaS
After reading so many posts on issues of clutch smell and gear grinding on Camaros and none on other Tremec 6060 trans, could the problem be a poor choice on clutches and throw-out bearings? I'm pulling stuff out of you know where, but these pieces seem to be a reoccuring issue with the Camaro.
Al Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:37 AM   #38
usmcjlp

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3 RJT
I spoke to George at MGW because I am considering their short throw shifter. I asked him about the shifting issues with the stock transmission. This is what he told me as well as I can remember. I'll do my best to explain.

The notchy shifting is not unique to the Camaro. It is a result of a change to the type of metal used in the synchros on the transmission. Other new vehicles equipped with the new tremec are seeing the same issue. He sells shifters for all the current muscle cars.

His recommendation, after discussion with tremec engineers, is that the transmission requires at least 10 minutes to get up to temperature for proper operation. Do not attempt power shifting until the transmission has warmed up properly. So, in other words, don't crank it, roll down the driveway, and lay on it immediately. Vehicles that are rarely driven will need a break in procedure.

I followed his advice over the weekend and found that once the vehicle warmed up, the 1-2 shift was much smoother. I'm no expert, just something to consider.
usmcjlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:01 AM   #39
sask-man
Sask-man from Sask

Drives: 2010 1SSRS M6 Black of course!
I was getting horrid gas mileage for a long time 15mpg highway. Took it on a serious road trip about 1600 miles, was doing 65 - 80mph on cruise and it got up to 22mpg! It also seems to be staying there now, so something changed for the better!

However while driving yesterday showing my brother my hot new car, when shifting from 1st to 2nd came ahorrible grinding of gears that has never happened before. Now I have driven a manual for the last 30 years so it isnt operator error. The car was warmed up and the issue dowsn't happen nearly as much if you shift like a Grandmother. Any acceleration almost certainly result in the grinding noise. It's almost like the gears aren't slowing down enough in the tranny to engage. ALL other gear changes are butter smooth. It's only the shift between 1st to 2nd gear that results in this noise.

I'm somewhat relieved to hear this is happening to others and seems like some sort of issue with these trannies. I will be making a trip to my dealer today to show my problem and get themn to look at it. I'll report back with any information and hopefully a quick, simple easy fix!
sask-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:59 PM   #40
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
I always let it warm up for a good 15-20 minutes before getting hard on it! I wait till the trans and oil temps come up to normal. Even after then I will get the missed 2nd shift. My boss's SRT8 is an '09 and shifts are very smooth and no notchiness at all!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:20 AM   #41
IOM2SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 IOM
I am having the same problem with the notchiness from 1st to 2nd. I can probably live with that as it gets a little better when warmed up. I now wait until the trans is warmed up before spirited driving. What I can't live with and makes me not want to drive the car is going full throttle to 6000 rpm, pushing in the clutch (all the way to the floor) pulling on the shifter and having the stick waiting to enter the gate, then 1000 to 1200 rpm later goes into gear then release the clutch! At first I thought it was me. Now with others having the same problem I know it's not. I learnd to drive on a stick shift and have been driving them for 18 years. I now have 1300 miles on the camaro and it has been doing this since I first drove it hard @ 500 miles. I also have a hurst short throw. I don't think that has anything to do with it and am contimplating switching back to the stock one to see if it helps any. Also if I try to shift fast, from 1st to 2nd (like I do in 3rd, 4th etc. which shift like butter) it will grind which makes my hair stand up. If anyone has had this issue resolved or improved please chime in. Also if anyone knows of a dealer in Northern VA that won't give me a hard time about High flow cats and a hurst shifter that would help too.
IOM2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:44 AM   #42
jomo45

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Silver Ice
Just an update guys. My dealer encouraged me to wait until it got worse, might get a whole new trans, as opposed to a fix job. I am ok with that for now, but with the others speaking out on this, it's obvious there is a problem.

As mentioned previously, the MGW shifter did not fix the issue for me, never really thought it was a shifter issue. Guess we'll wait and see..
jomo45 is offline   Reply With Quote