Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 01-12-2012, 11:02 PM   #1
Ozzie RS

Drives: '11 Camaro RS 2LT
"Timed" Bushings

Forgive me for not knowing but I have recently seen mention of "timed" Bushings. What does "timed" bushings mean? Making sure they face the right direction? Thanks ahead of time for your info.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:05 PM   #2
Transfusion

Drives: 1SS Summit White
great question. I got popcorn while we wait.

Transfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:09 PM   #3
Jay_LHD3

Drives: 2019 F150 RCSB Abyss FX4
Should be done if you have lowered your cars ride height with springs.

This post explains it all!! (Bushings/Bushes = same thing!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
You need more than an alignment. You need to time the bushes to the new ride height.

The factory installed rubber bushes add spring rate to your Camaro. They are pressed into the arms. They twist. They do not rotate. The twist is where the additional spring rate comes in.

All the bushes in your Camaro were set to the factory ride height. To set them to the new ride height have the alignment shop loosen the bolts in the front inner control arm, the rear inner control arm, the outer toe links and both ends of the trailing arms. Then drive the vehicle slowly around the shop parking lot and onto the alignment rack. With the weight of the car on the wheels have him tighten those bolts and complete the alignment.

Your car will ride better. Your car will handle better. You will prevent premature bush failure.

Jay_LHD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:33 AM   #4
MRGOODWRENCH3
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Timing the bushings is VERY IMPORTANT for proper ride height, alignment and ride quality.
MRGOODWRENCH3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:32 AM   #5
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Here you go....

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=time+bushings
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:53 AM   #6
Ozzie RS

Drives: '11 Camaro RS 2LT
Thanks Jay and Caverman. I had never heard of the "timing" until the last few days. You learn something new every day!!!
Old 01-14-2012, 09:43 AM   #7
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
I've lowered at least 2 other cars before the Camaro and didn't know about timing the bushing either. Learned it from here.

And....from personal experience I can tell you that it makes a difference. When I first put my Hotchkis springs on I didn't know to do it. Then went back and had it done and I could feel it was less bouncy of a ride. Felt like a slight spring board before.

Now I have coilovers, which you would still have to time the bushings, and the ride is even better.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote