Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 07-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #71
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
I'm hearing you. I believe the 1LE with an LS7, ZL1 brakes, Aero and other minor tweaks is all that's needed. This would compete with the Boss LS. The 1LE will compete with the Boss.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #72
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I'm hearing you. I believe the 1LE with an LS7, ZL1 brakes, Aero and other minor tweaks is all that's needed. This would compete with the Boss LS. The 1LE will compete with the Boss.
Cool then. I am looking forward to how the 1LE will stack up against both Bosses. With 80 hp less than the GT500 the ZL1 runs dead even with it around a track (depending on the track and the bravery and skill of the GT500 driver).

With a much smaller power difference and more torque going to the 1LE, the Boss/1LE matchup will be interesting. The weight difference should be about the same as the big boys.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:49 AM   #73
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
What ever Chevy does, they better do it soon. I need a new car and don't know how much longer I can hold out for a Z28.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #74
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Amen!
Old 07-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #75
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Cool then. I am looking forward to how the 1LE will stack up against both Bosses. With 80 hp less than the GT500 the ZL1 runs dead even with it around a track (depending on the track and the bravery and skill of the GT500 driver).

With a much smaller power difference and more torque going to the 1LE, the Boss/1LE matchup will be interesting. The weight difference should be about the same as the big boys.
I do look forward to seeing how well the 1LE does compaired to the Boss, but I don't see the 1LE hanging with the Boss LS.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #76
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
well I am also looking on trading up but it sure is taking some time. I have had my car since June of '09 and not that the improvements of the '11-'13 are that much different, I do like most of them (dash, hud) it does not warrant me trading up as of yet. I have been sitting on the fact that the Z/28 will be resurrected and in my opinion with the 5.3L direct injected motor with MR in a '14 MY camaro. I do not want to wait for the 6th gen because who knows if I will like the styling of it and absolutely love my car now. Sure my car will be paid off in a year and I could change out the dash, add a cam(change motor or add blower) and some way add MR to it, but it will never be to me a Z/28!
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #77
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
As I see it;
Mustang V-6=Camaro V-6..........Who really cares
Mustang GT>CamaroSS..............Lighter and more hp makes the difference
Boss Mustang vs. ??????.............Better get it right with the LT1 or Z/28 or whatever they decide to call it.
GT500>=ZL1.............................Not quite the knock out punch Al and Scott had bragged about.

GM engineers need to quit making excuses for why they fail, and just use their talents to make winning vehicles. Watch CNBC's show on Ford, when the engineers where sat down with CR testers, they wanted to make excuses about why they did things the way they did. Ford's CEO told them to shut up and LISTEN to what was wrong with the cars. Maybe the Camaro team needs to have the same style meeting.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #78
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by derklug View Post
GM engineers need to quit making excuses for why they fail, and just use their talents to make winning vehicles.

ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:58 PM   #79
DanSS24

Drives: Dream Cars in my head
Quote:
GM engineers need to quit making excuses for why they fail, and just use their talents to make winning vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
+1

Wishful thinking...but I sure can dream big.
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:13 PM   #80
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
But what if none of those ideas fit what you want? What if you want something more modern and lighter? But still a track animal of course.

I do not think any current NA Chevy engine in a Camaro will out run a ZL1 at the track. And GM says the iLE should run with the Boss. There is not a lot of room there in between.

And it gets a little tricky with weight. The ZL1 has a much heavier differential than the SS. I think, and I could be wrong, that this, after the supercharger, is the second biggest reason for the ZL1 weight gain. So what if Chevy decides the LS7 needs the beefier differential to handle the LS7 over the long haul. Keeping MRC (it sounds like it is worth the weight gain) for the moment, there may only be a 100 pound difference between the ZL1 and an LS7 Z28.

Is a Z28 @ 4,000 pounds a Z28?

Finding out how good the ZL1 is at the track is a Z28 game changer for me. Except for the cost, poor gas milage, and gas guzzler tax, I want one. Apparently the weight is not a problem at all at the track or anywhere else. And looking at what Pedders is saying about the ZL1, you can easily raise the ZL1 bar with some simple suspension mods. And an additional 100 hp is there for the taking.

So, what if say SLP slips an LS7 and the ZL1 front brakes into the 1LE and creates the Z28SLP. Would that fit the bill?
First of all, NOWHERE has "GM" said "The 1LE will run with the BOSS LS". This sort of remark is what has many in the world questioning if the ZL1 is "sub-par" becuse it doesn't "outrun the [2013] GT500", something apparently alluded to by someone at GM, offhandedly.

What GM said was the "1LE is capable of a sub-3:00 lap @ VIR". YOU can draw whatever conclusions YOU wish from that statement...

Let's NOT start a "war of words" BEFORE the 1LE arrives in showrooms...

MRC is NOT "mandatory" for a Z28. The 1LE's enhanced FE4 will suit just fine.

1LE @ 3920 lb. Curb = Z28 Curb with wet LS7, excepting the 6-piston front Brembos from the ZL1. 4000 lb Z28 is not a necessary stat...

Using the 1LE as the basis for an aftermarket-installed LS7 suffers two significant problems: NO GM warranty, bumper-to-bumper; Cost-prohibitive (the pull-out LS3's value would not cover the re-and-re charges, so you're on the hook for the LS7's full $13K cost + MORE = ZL1 money, without a suitable warranty)
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #81
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
As I see it;
Mustang V-6=Camaro V-6..........Who really cares
Mustang GT>CamaroSS..............Lighter and more hp makes the difference
Boss Mustang vs. ??????.............Better get it right with the LT1 or Z/28 or whatever they decide to call it.
GT500>=ZL1.............................Not quite the knock out punch Al and Scott had bragged about.

GM engineers need to quit making excuses for why they fail, and just use their talents to make winning vehicles. Watch CNBC's show on Ford, when the engineers where sat down with CR testers, they wanted to make excuses about why they did things the way they did. Ford's CEO told them to shut up and LISTEN to what was wrong with the cars. Maybe the Camaro team needs to have the same style meeting.
Does a GT have more HP than an SS?
Old 07-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #82
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
^Opps, sorry, no it doesn't.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #83
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
First of all, NOWHERE has "GM" said "The 1LE will run with the BOSS LS". This sort of remark is what has many in the world questioning if the ZL1 is "sub-par" becuse it doesn't "outrun the [2013] GT500", something apparently alluded to by someone at GM, offhandedly.

What GM said was the "1LE is capable of a sub-3:00 lap @ VIR". YOU can draw whatever conclusions YOU wish from that statement...

Let's NOT start a "war of words" BEFORE the 1LE arrives in showrooms...

MRC is NOT "mandatory" for a Z28. The 1LE's enhanced FE4 will suit just fine.

1LE @ 3920 lb. Curb = Z28 Curb with wet LS7, excepting the 6-piston front Brembos from the ZL1. 4000 lb Z28 is not a necessary stat...

I doubt they would make those claims after the whole "ZL1 will easily handle the GT500" statements that were made.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:29 AM   #84
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I doubt they would make those claims after the whole "ZL1 will easily handle the GT500" statements that were made.
It's easier for them to challenge a rival in this case cause they know what the boss can do. No simulations needed.