Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 06-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #127
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I do not own a 2SS; what I own is clearly in my sig. There is no "we"; you're by yourself. I don't really care what you drive and since your opinions offer nothing of any real conversational interest...I'll leave you to your meds, beer, weed...whatever the substance is you live in. Have a nice day.
That's the best you could come up with, nitpicking me saying 2SS instead of 1SS? Cool, lol. Enjoy the rest of your fine day as well, sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I believe his name says it all. He was satisfied (he thought) till the Z/28 appeared. Do not be fooled the ZL1 is a great Camaro!
I'm very satisfied and blessed. I'm content with the ZL1 and it is a great Camaro as well as the 1LE, SS and other trims respectively. The Z/28 is far superior in certain areas but not practical for me so I won't be owning one.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #128
linkwpc
The punching cat

Drives: '10 Camaro SS Black W/Hugger&W/IOI
I’m going to throw my two cents in. I have a 2010 with a few 1LE parts. Manly 1LE struts and shocks and 1LE Rear Toe Links. Once I put these one, what a big difference over the stock 2010 struts and shocks! They feel much stiffer the before and overall feels better. I like to drive my car much more then I did before! I think the 1LE is a very good upgrade but I do not feel that I need to trade in my car just to get a 1LE. You can buy most of the parts and add them yourself. It will be less than $3200 but not by too much I think.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:05 PM   #129
SWAG1LE

Drives: 2013 1LE
All I gathered from this awesome thread is:

Apparently A 1LE owner that does not autocross ='s poser

Trolls Suck!!!
Old 06-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #130
schecter7

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boydr12 View Post
You are an idiot dude, who would pay to replace the 6.2 with the 7.0?? 10k easy just for that motor
You're the idiot one here. Learn to read first. He meant upgrading FROM an SS. He didn't mean to swap his LS3 with an LS7
schecter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #131
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
You can basically think of the 1LE as a poor man's Z/28. It will have more ability than 90% of the drivers out there. It's a cornering/handling car for autocross and road course. It's a tweaked SS with a track pack; same idea as the Boss 302 Laguna Seca but better.
I am not a poor man...I am a man that has a house, 3 cars, in state property, out of state property, 2 kids that will be going to college and two marriages to pay for in the future.....I am a wise man that purchased a 1LE so I am not a poor man in the future

The ZL1 is not what I wanted for a track day car nor is the SS....I was already having a hard time buying a 1LE because of the weight and the ZL1 is 300lbs more. After tracking my 1LE and driving a ZL1 on the same day I am very happy with my decision as I can see with a few $, tweaks and adjustments I can easily lap with a stock ZL1 and a few $ more pass many of them....(yes yes, the ZL1 owner can do the same but I am already $20K ahead)

-Matt
Old 06-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #132
Jim968

Drives: 2018 2SS
I could have waited a few months longer and spent a bit more and got a 1LE instead of my SS. I gave it serious thought. I ended up getting the SS because all I was looking for was a street car. I already have a fully dedicated race car, and I don’t have the time or money to run and maintain two track cars. I just couldn’t justify spending the extra $$$ for a track package on a car that I wasn’t going to track regularly. As a street car the SS suits me just fine.

That said I probably will end up tracking my SS once just to see what it will do. When I do it would be fun to have a 1LE to run with to quantify the difference.
Jim968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #133
Ocx

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Cognitive Dissonance also known as buyer's remorse...

The 1LE is basically a really sweet suspension kit with sticky tires/rims(that I really like),better gear ratios and some cool exhaust features. Add all this up and what do you get?

A car that comes pre-installed with modifications. Fun.
Ocx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #134
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat01 View Post
No Rage. Some of us "more sophisticated" individuals do understand that some prefer a non technological, and uncivilized throw back from the early 20th century.
I may have heard rumor that 2015 may come with a steam powered engine option and buggy whip steering to go with your purist manual trans.

All I got to say is bring that auto car to a road race and then say that.
Autos are great for lazy drivers
And people that just want to drag. But road racing I'll keep my gears.

And for daily driver draggers enjoy that big stall around town. No thanks.
Both technology's are viable but they both excel in different places.

One is just a far cry more dull to drive than the other. Lol.
Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
530/520 SAE
DuskSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:04 PM   #135
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSSUNAMI View Post
THIS ^^

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a z/28, but I personally don't mind dealing with the negatives that it would bring to the street. Keep in mind, I daily drove a 1997 Jeep TJ Wrangler until I got my SS in 2011. So I'm not big on creature comforts or a soft ride.

Make no mistake; the 1LE IS the best value around for a streetable daily driver that can tear the shit out of a racetrack right out of the box. It's also a wonderful base for future modifications.

If only it had been available in 2011
I did the switch. I spent the 2 or three days pulling mods off my '11 SS to get the 1LE.

That was kind of fun and I realized I liked my car better without some of the mods. I got a killer deal on a $7,000 more expensive car and I will sell most of my mods. Of course I left on most of the nylon bushings and the toe rods. All in all I am digging driving the stock 1LE and this time I will be more restrained about my mods. The slight interior upgrades, NPP, and Mylink, and the frameless mirror are all worthy upgrades besides very stable suspension dynamics, sticky tires and a better than SS shifter. (Not quite as good as my Barton though.)

I am thinking of buying the ZL1 wheel knock-offs and putting on some all season tires for the winter months. And I need to find a spot to keep my Goodyears warm over the winter. A pain, but how about 1.0G cornering off the showroom floor!

The 1LE is worth it. At least to me. And I thought it over for about a year.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #136
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
I am not a poor man...I am a man that has a house, 3 cars, in state property, out of state property, 2 kids that will be going to college and two marriages to pay for in the future.....I am a wise man that purchased a 1LE so I am not a poor man in the future

The ZL1 is not what I wanted for a track day car nor is the SS....I was already having a hard time buying a 1LE because of the weight and the ZL1 is 300lbs more. After tracking my 1LE and driving a ZL1 on the same day I am very happy with my decision as I can see with a few $, tweaks and adjustments I can easily lap with a stock ZL1 and a few $ more pass many of them....(yes yes, the ZL1 owner can do the same but I am already $20K ahead)

-Matt
You have wisdom and wisdom is a scarce commodity nowadays but still as valuable as it's ever been. Congrats. I used the term "poor man's" as a literary expression with the assumption that people today would still understand its context. But alas, like so many things that used to be 'common' knowledge that too appears to be slipping out of the consciousness of popular society. In fact I didn't even realize until yesterday while reading some of the details of the Tr-ay-von Martin case that cursive writing apparently isn't even being taught in schools anymore. (I had to use the - to disrupt the Tray-word because believe it or not the forum starred it out when I tried spelling it normally!)

All that being said, wisdom enabled you to buy the car that works for what you want to do. Which is exactly why GM offers the range of Camaros it does. While the ZL1 can do remarkably well on the track considering it's weight, the 1LE is the better track car. It may not have as much horsepower but for HPDE and autocross it's all about handling instead of horsepower anyways so the 1LE has the advantage in weight and handling.

In 1/4 mile the ZL1 has the advantage due to horsepower but for the price difference between a ZL1 and 1LE that can easily be offset with the right type of mods on the 1LE. For riding on the street? The ZL1 is king. That magnetic suspension makes it the king of comfortable rides. And it looks great.

The reason why I call the 1LE the "poor man's Z/28" is it will give you about 80-85% of the Z/28's ability at roughly half the price, so for the person who can't afford a Z/28 they needn't feel left out. While the 1LE won't hold up against a Z/28 on the track head-to-head, it will be more comfortable on the street, be perfectly usable as a daily driver, cost less to insure, probably get better gas mileage, and give 90% of the Camaro drivers virtually the same experience on the track as they would get in a Z/28.

The Z/28 is for that top 10% who have the money, the skill, the time, the means and desire to run in that zone. The Z/28 is going to have engineering features the 1LE doesn't because the Z needs it in the area it's running in. 90% of the Camaro drivers will never have the skill to push a car into that 10% zone. That kind of performance is expensive which is why the Z/28 is going to be the most expensive street-legal Camaro ever produced.

The 1LE is a terrific car right out of the box so for anybody who wants a great track car who's abilities exceed their own, and yet can comfortably do double duty as a street car, you can't beat a 1LE for the value/price. It's also a great starting point for those who like to mod and up the performance level, but even if you don't it's still a great car.

So for those who think they want/need a Z/28 to have a great track experience but are feeling left out because of the price...the 1LE is for you. Terrific bang for the buck there. And you can gradually mod it to fit within your budget to steadily increase its performance should you so choose. And you won't be spending $3,000 a weekend for tires and brakes the way the hardcore Z/28 crowd will be.

That's why it's a "poor man's Z/28"; not meaning it's only for the poor because at $40k it isn't, but in the overall scale of expenses you don't have to be rich to run it hard on the track compared to the cost of owning/running a Z/28.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #137
Boydr12

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, 2013 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
You have wisdom and wisdom is a scarce commodity nowadays but still as valuable as it's ever been. Congrats. I used the term "poor man's" as a literary expression with the assumption that people today would still understand its context. But alas, like so many things that used to be 'common' knowledge that too appears to be slipping out of the consciousness of popular society. In fact I didn't even realize until yesterday while reading some of the details of the Tr-ay-von Martin case that cursive writing apparently isn't even being taught in schools anymore. (I had to use the - to disrupt the Tray-word because believe it or not the forum starred it out when I tried spelling it normally!)

All that being said, wisdom enabled you to buy the car that works for what you want to do. Which is exactly why GM offers the range of Camaros it does. While the ZL1 can do remarkably well on the track considering it's weight, the 1LE is the better track car. It may not have as much horsepower but for HPDE and autocross it's all about handling instead of horsepower anyways so the 1LE has the advantage in weight and handling.

In 1/4 mile the ZL1 has the advantage due to horsepower but for the price difference between a ZL1 and 1LE that can easily be offset with the right type of mods on the 1LE. For riding on the street? The ZL1 is king. That magnetic suspension makes it the king of comfortable rides. And it looks great.

The reason why I call the 1LE the "poor man's Z/28" is it will give you about 80-85% of the Z/28's ability at roughly half the price, so for the person who can't afford a Z/28 they needn't feel left out. While the 1LE won't hold up against a Z/28 on the track head-to-head, it will be more comfortable on the street, be perfectly usable as a daily driver, cost less to insure, probably get better gas mileage, and give 90% of the Camaro drivers virtually the same experience on the track as they would get in a Z/28.

The Z/28 is for that top 10% who have the money, the skill, the time, the means and desire to run in that zone. The Z/28 is going to have engineering features the 1LE doesn't because the Z needs it in the area it's running in. 90% of the Camaro drivers will never have the skill to push a car into that 10% zone. That kind of performance is expensive which is why the Z/28 is going to be the most expensive street-legal Camaro ever produced.

The 1LE is a terrific car right out of the box so for anybody who wants a great track car who's abilities exceed their own, and yet can comfortably do double duty as a street car, you can't beat a 1LE for the value/price. It's also a great starting point for those who like to mod and up the performance level, but even if you don't it's still a great car.

So for those who think they want/need a Z/28 to have a great track experience but are feeling left out because of the price...the 1LE is for you. Terrific bang for the buck there. And you can gradually mod it to fit within your budget to steadily increase its performance should you so choose. And you won't be spending $3,000 a weekend for tires and brakes the way the hardcore Z/28 crowd will be.

That's why it's a "poor man's Z/28"; not meaning it's only for the poor because at $40k it isn't, but in the overall scale of expenses you don't have to be rich to run it hard on the track compared to the cost of owning/running a Z/28.
+5,000
Boydr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #138
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
I was never offended. My post are always with a smile on my face as that is why I come to visit the inter web, I leave the serious stuff at my office.

I enjoy passing people in my poor mans Camaro. The brand new ZO6 driver told his son as I was catching him "its only a Camaro....what is going on!" And after I got by I disappeared a few corners later. It woul be expected from a Z28.......not an SS badged 1LE .
Old 06-28-2013, 09:36 PM   #139
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
For me it was a matter of what is included. Just like choosing to add the RS package.

I was planning to get an SS, and I already had a list of some of the mods I wanted to make. Such as wheels, power coating the brake calibers, shifter knob, etc. Adding the 1LE package simply included all of that from the factory and saved me some money.

As with many of the 1LE owners, mine will likely never see a track. That doesn't mean it's not a good street car. From everything I've read from those that have driven both, the 1LE is the better handling/driving car...even on the street. So I don't see what is so hard to understand.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:34 AM   #140
1leNPP

Drives: 1LE , 1SS , NPP
Guys, Guys, Guys stop with the poor mans Z/28 that going to be my dam plate for my car . Stop giving people ideas.
1leNPP is offline   Reply With Quote