Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 11-28-2013, 07:59 AM   #15
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Just loosen the existing bolts enough to get the bracket behind them. loosening the bolts too much the hidden nuts will fall off into the frame work. Again loosen the bolts slowly and just enough to get the bracket in.
Oh, make sure you wash your back window before the install. Once installed there is almost not easy way to get at the back window without removing the wind restrictor. Minor issue.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:54 PM   #16
AbsoluteMayheM
LongTimeLurker

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Convertible L99
Awesome thanks!! Thought it would be here already. Still waiting. I will post pics once it's installed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

AbsoluteMayheM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #17
AbsoluteMayheM
LongTimeLurker

Still waiting on the wind restrictor to be delivered. I will need to find a heated garage to do my install, it's been averaging -1c here in Ontario lately!!

Old 12-12-2013, 06:30 PM   #18
Nutbutt

Not much warmer in the states ! Sub 0 C most of this week !
Old 12-12-2013, 06:55 PM   #19
Trekkie

Drives: Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via ICQ to Trekkie Send a message via AIM to Trekkie Send a message via MSN to Trekkie Send a message via Yahoo to Trekkie
Is the OEM one any good? Or you just looking for something different.
Trekkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #20
Burn Notice24

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible
Quick question for anyone with a wind restrictor... I can't seem to loosen the bolts and I don't want to mess anything up. If I take it to my local chevy dealer, will they put it on for me even though it isn't a GM part?
Burn Notice24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:02 PM   #21
niterat

Drives: ZLI IOM Convertible
Hi all. I have the wind restrictor and learned a lot when putting it in. First, use the right tool. I felt down there with my finger and thought it was an allen head dolt -wrong! It's a torx head. I also found that my bolts had been threadlocked. On a hot day you can still back them out but I didn't want to chance stripping the head. I took the plstic trim molding off the top of the back seat so I could access the nut on the other side. I put a soldering iron to it to heat up and loosen the threadlock. This worked but took a bit of patience and care. Also, the nuts were tack welded to the car so I couldn't just cut the bolts off. Others have told me their's were not welded so you have to be careful not to back the bolt out too far.
niterat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:04 PM   #22
niterat

Drives: ZLI IOM Convertible
by the way, I like the Flags!
And as someone else said it really does reduce the backdraft! Oh, and to clean your back window just retract the top a bit and you will be able to clear the wind restricor to reach the back glass.
niterat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:36 AM   #23
Nutbutt

I need to try to clean my back window when I get my car back this week. And if the weather here cooperates.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:37 PM   #24
AbsoluteMayheM
LongTimeLurker

Christmas holiday activities slowed down enough for me to get the heater in my Camaro tent and was able to get the temp high enough to allow the top to go down.

I just had enough time to install the wind screen but not enough time to wire it yet. Car is not going anywhere so there is no rush for the wiring, next time I get a few "me" hours I finish the wiring.

Here are a few pictures

Old 12-28-2013, 10:16 PM   #25
AbsoluteMayheM
LongTimeLurker

Just a few comments about my installation. I am not sure if anyone else had this issue during the installation.

Let me start by saying that in my case the tonneau cover installation for my car was done before I purchased the car. I am not sure if it was factory or dealership.
In my case they used a #25 Torax head bolt and on the inside there is a lock nut.

I assumed that it would have been a self tapping or threaded HOLE in the car since the wind screen is installed ON TOP of the trim behind the back seat.

When I removed the first tonneau cover bolt I lost the lock bolt as I did not think there would be one.

My dilema, in order to use the same bolt and plastic ring for my tonneau cover I need to remove the trim around the rear seat to get to the lock nut. However, I could not figure how I could install the wind restrictor using a nut and bolt since I can only access the bolt with the trim off. There is no way to install it after.

My simple solution.

I used some Lepage Mounting tape on the back of the nut.

1. Cut a small square of tape a little larger the the nut
2. Cut it in half. Cut a small triangle in the center in each
3. Stick them to the back of the nut, centering the cutouts to the center of the nut
4. with the plastic still on, turn the nut over and press down on the nut with a lot of force to secure the tape to the back. Trim the excess tape around the nut

*Note: My wind restrictor was installed when I took these pictures. In step number for of the picture I did not have the small plastic clip/washer for the tonneau cover. but it would go between the washer and the nut. The tall side of the clip should be facing towards the nut.

Now your nuts should be ready to use.

1. I removed all three rear seat trim pieces
2. Remove the plastic backing of the tape on the nut
3. Stick the nuts over the tonneau cover holes
4. I then attached the bolt to the nut and tightened the bolt very tight
5. I left them for about 5 minutes to set
6. Then I removed the bolt and now the nut is securely fastened to the back
7. I added a washer and out the plastic tonneau cover bolt clip on the bolt
8. I screwed the bolt back into the nut but left a good size gap to install the mounting bracket for the wind resistor
9. I reinstalled all three trim pieces back
10. Then I installed the wind resistor to the bolts
11. Once I was happy with the placement of the wind resistor I slowly tightened the bolt by hand until it was snug
12. Then I used a ratchet to frimly tighten the bolts for final installation

I was not able to use the original bolts as they were too short when adding the extra thickness of the wind resistor mounting bracket so I used a #6 40mm bolt as a replacement. It was much longer and a lot easier to install because it gave me a lot more space to play with when installing the mounting bracket. Also from the picture below you can see the last 10mm or so of the original bolt threads were worn and I could not get them to grip the nut.

*Note: I dropped the nut and bolt a few times and had to tape a magnet to a string to fish out the nut and bolt. I would not say this was a hard installation, but if i was FORCED to use the factory bolts that were somewhat short, I do not think i could have completed the installation. The longer bolts made the job a lot easier.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:17 AM   #26
heymatt

Drives: 2012 IBM 2SS Vert.
Nice write up.
How many green labels gave their all for the install?
Noticed the discrete product plug!
Old 12-30-2013, 02:20 PM   #27
AbsoluteMayheM
LongTimeLurker

Just two! One to start, one after it was installed

Old 12-31-2013, 09:19 AM   #28
Nutbutt

Very nice ! I replaced my bolts recently also when I removed to clean my back window. The longer bolts make things so much easier. I epoxied the nuts to the other side and installed a piece of plastic under the nuts where there is the gap in the body parts where they would fall.