Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-14-2018, 11:11 PM   #1
mred2nice

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 & 1979 10.5 Camaro
Changing Brake Pads

Hello Everyone

How do you all change your pads? Do you get those ramps then jack it up in front then put stands under? Or do you use a jack and those on the pinch points and do one wheel at a time?

I was quoted $280(and I have the pads) to replace them...I will make the time to do it at that price.

Thanks,
Ed
mred2nice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:47 AM   #2
VRZL113

Drives: 2013 VR ZL1, M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mred2nice View Post
Hello Everyone

How do you all change your pads? Do you get those ramps then jack it up in front then put stands under? Or do you use a jack and those on the pinch points and do one wheel at a time?

I was quoted $280(and I have the pads) to replace them...I will make the time to do it at that price.

Thanks,
Ed
I'd jack it up at the pinch welds (jack locations) one side at a time.

Brembos are super easy to change the pads on as well. Def do it yourself.
#3257 | 485whp 526wtq | K&N 63-3079 | Gates K080660HD (Green Belt) | ACDelco UPF48R | ZL1 Addons Wicker Bill | Mild2Wild
VRZL113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:30 PM   #3
Hellfighter

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1
My pads alone were 200 for the front lol. i switched to hawks performance though, and did change my self on jacks, super easy... just replace bolts once you remove them they are TTY bolts.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:11 PM   #4
mred2nice

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 & 1979 10.5 Camaro
Hello

Which bolts do you change? What does TTY mean?

Did you guys have to buy something to put on the jack pad?

Thanks,
Ed
mred2nice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:19 PM   #5
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Quote:
Hello

Thanks,
Ed
TTY (torque to yield) basically one time use. These are the bolts that hold the caliper to the knuckle.

ZL1 addons has the pinch weld pads:

https://zl1addons.com/products/camaro-10-15-lift-pads

Or these:

https://zl1addons.com/products/premi...ch-weld-magpad

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:26 PM   #6
Synner

Drives: cars
Jeez, you don't need to remove the caliper to swap pads or replace a single bolt. Push out 2 pins, remove the top clip and pull out pads. Push the pistons back into the caliper a bit and insert new pads. You can find videos and DIYs all over here in the correct subsection or on youtube.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:54 PM   #7
TWOFORTYZ

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS 6M
Push the pistons back BEFORE you remove the pads, it makes it easier.

I would strongly recommend using a dial caliper to measure rotor run out and cut or replace the rotors if necessary. At about $80 each for OEM I will be replacing mine with new... They may add unsprung weight, but that mass also absorbs heat!

Edit. Does the ZL1 use ceramic rotors? If so disregard the statement about cutting them.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:55 PM   #8
TWOFORTYZ

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS 6M
Quote:
Hello

Thanks,
Ed
I use wood... It works very well for many things. A fancy jack pad is cooler, but if it fits and protects the car it does the job.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:25 AM   #9
VRZL113

Drives: 2013 VR ZL1, M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Jeez, you don't need to remove the caliper to swap pads or replace a single bolt. Push out 2 pins, remove the top clip and pull out pads. Push the pistons back into the caliper a bit and insert new pads. You can find videos and DIYs all over here in the correct subsection or on youtube.
This!
#3257 | 485whp 526wtq | K&N 63-3079 | Gates K080660HD (Green Belt) | ACDelco UPF48R | ZL1 Addons Wicker Bill | Mild2Wild
VRZL113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:43 PM   #10
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWOFORTYZ View Post

I would strongly recommend using a dial caliper to measure rotor run out and cut or replace the rotors if necessary. At about $80 each for OEM I will be replacing mine with new... They may add unsprung weight, but that mass also absorbs heat!

Edit. Does the ZL1 use ceramic rotors? If so disregard the statement about cutting them.
GM doesnt recommend turning Z rotors, some have had luck doing it.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:47 PM   #11
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
+1
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:06 AM   #12
Hellfighter

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1
Quote:

wrong , front pads you can maybe leave the TTY bolts on but the rears you you have to remove the calipers, i tried to just compress the pistons, its a very tight space, but on the fronts you can get away with that, by just sliding out old pads through the rear of the front calipers and changing pads out that way, but rear either way you have to replace bolts. I mean i just said F it and replaced them just in case they were roughly like 10$ at most from a dealership.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:50 PM   #13
Synner

Drives: cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfighter View Post
wrong , front pads you can maybe leave the TTY bolts on but the rears you you have to remove the calipers, i tried to just compress the pistons, its a very tight space, but on the fronts you can get away with that, by just sliding out old pads through the rear of the front calipers and changing pads out that way, but rear either way you have to replace bolts. I mean i just said F it and replaced them just in case they were roughly like 10$ at most from a dealership.
So because you couldn't no one can? That's some impressively flawed logic. I've done it myself at least 20 times and never touched a bolt when I swapped track day pads for street pads. You lack the correct tools or experience, that's all.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:00 PM   #14
danvillekidd
2013 ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 m6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWOFORTYZ View Post

Please tell me where you are getting OEM ZL1 rotors for $80. Amazon has them at $280 ea. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009MV64LW...v_ov_lig_dp_it
danvillekidd is offline   Reply With Quote