Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 07-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
Peppy2SS
I'm not a "bro"

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
First speeding ticket

So my 15 year perfect driving record came to an end last night. I got pulled over for speeding. I know I was speeding, so I'm not going to fight the ticket. I was going 57 in a 45mph zone. About an 1/8 mile up ahead, the speed limit changes to 55.

On my ticket, it states that I have to pay $140 because I was going 57 in a 40mph zone, when the speed limit sign clearly states 45mph. The price is different for only being 12mph over, opposed to the 17mph over that the ticket states. Do you think I could bring this up and pay the lower cost ($100)? I have to go to the city police station to pay the fine, so I bet the person I speak to will be familiar with the road I was on, because it's only a few blocks from the station.
Peppy2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppy2SS View Post
So my 15 year perfect driving record came to an end last night. I got pulled over for speeding. I know I was speeding, so I'm not going to fight the ticket. I was going 57 in a 45mph zone. About an 1/8 mile up ahead, the speed limit changes to 55.

On my ticket, it states that I have to pay $140 because I was going 57 in a 40mph zone, when the speed limit sign clearly states 45mph. The price is different for only being 12mph over, opposed to the 17mph over that the ticket states. Do you think I could bring this up and pay the lower cost ($100)? I have to go to the city police station to pay the fine, so I bet the person I speak to will be familiar with the road I was on, because it's only a few blocks from the station.
IF you go in, or whatever.....do yourself a favor and get ALL your ducks in a row. TAKE PICTURES of the area, and the sign so that you can POSITIVLY identify the spot in question. If your lucky, and their is a street sign that can be captured in the pictures as well....that would help.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #3
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
IF you go in, or whatever.....do yourself a favor and get ALL your ducks in a row. TAKE PICTURES of the area, and the sign so that you can POSITIVLY identify the spot in question. If your lucky, and their is a street sign that can be captured in the pictures as well....that would help.
. Coming from a LEO (still a rook though not too familier with court yet) always be overly prepared for court.
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
Peppy2SS
I'm not a "bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
Thanks! Those are some good tips. Part of me is thinking I should keep my mouth shut and that it's "only $40". But another part of me wants to bring it up because I KNOW it's not legit.

I also forgot to mention that he told me that he wasn't going to pull me over, but he seen my car sitting downtown for a few hours. I had dinner with a friend last night, so I'm sure he expected me to be under the influence. I was sure to tell him that if I had been drinking, I definitely wouldn't have been driving. Especially in my Camaro!
Old 07-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppy2SS View Post
Thanks! Those are some good tips. Part of me is thinking I should keep my mouth shut and that it's "only $40". But another part of me wants to bring it up because I KNOW it's not legit.

I also forgot to mention that he told me that he wasn't going to pull me over, but he seen my car sitting downtown for a few hours. I had dinner with a friend last night, so I'm sure he expected me to be under the influence. I was sure to tell him that if I had been drinking, I definitely wouldn't have been driving. Especially in my Camaro!
Give it a shot. They very well may drop the ticket intirely. He wrote you for 57 in a 40...if that doesn't exist then that ticket never should have happened. Also talk about your clean driving record.
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
Also ask the court if you have OPTIONS such as taking defensive driving, or paying for deferred adjudication, or deferred deposition....or ANY option you have to make sure you don't get any insurance points.

The fee to do this might not be that high, and either way, if something is offered to avoid getting insurance points, I would explore those options.

In texas we have TONS of options to steer clear of insurance points for speeding. you were BARELY going over the limit so in our state, you would instantly qualify to take defensive driving and avoid insurance points.

Don't just BLINDLY pay a speeding ticket. They might have options but they don't advertise them upfront.
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:40 PM   #7
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
Not sure if you have it there, but in NC you are allowed to plea improper equipment once every 3 years in each county. I just recently got one and paid $225 including court costs. Never had to go anywhere and didn't receive any points for it, so never happened. Through a lawyer of course.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:55 PM   #8
Peppy2SS
I'm not a "bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001ragtop View Post
Also ask the court if you have OPTIONS such as taking defensive driving, or paying for deferred adjudication, or deferred deposition....or ANY option you have to make sure you don't get any insurance points.

The fee to do this might not be that high, and either way, if something is offered to avoid getting insurance points, I would explore those options.

In texas we have TONS of options to steer clear of insurance points for speeding. you were BARELY going over the limit so in our state, you would instantly qualify to take defensive driving and avoid insurance points.

Don't just BLINDLY pay a speeding ticket. They might have options but they don't advertise them upfront.
Great advice! Thanks!