Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-21-2016, 08:39 AM   #1
teddywetts

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Camaro, 2015 Silverado 6.2
Cam or not?

Hey fellas. Im Ted, and I have a 2012 ZL1 that is nearly flawless. I am considering doing a cam in the spring. I have almost limited mechanical experience, and count on the local place to take care of things. The Shop is the name of the place where i take my car and Chad Fegley has a incredible reputation. My question is what would be a good cam to do for my car if I do not want to sacrifice drivability. I want to be able to take my wife on a date, or cruise it across the states just as i do now. I don't want it to chop and die, or be too over the top. i just want to pick up the extra horses that a cam would allow. So far my list of mods are as follows. (A6)

Roto-Fab CAI
Ported Blower Snout
Huge injectors
Kooks long tube headers with cat delete and off road pipes
DSX Flex Fuel system with e85 sensor
2.38 pulley with solid isolator coupler

With these things in mind what would be a good next step? It seems a lot of you guys do cams, and i have to believe that some of them allow you to have your cake and eat it to. More power, great sound, and daily driver reliability. Any input would be much appreciated. Also if you do have a suggestion please let me know what all it entails, and cost. I want to consider all things. Thanks Guys!!!

Ted
Attached Images

teddywetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:44 AM   #2
vader87

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
I run a BTR Stage III. Zero drivability issues.
2013 ZL1/A6: CNC'd SC w/lid spacer, 2.35 upper, 9.45 lower, BTR Stage 3 Cam, Wilkes Performance CNC'd Heads, 1050cc injectors, DSX Aux pump, 1 7/8 headers, 102 TB, JLT CAI, Killer Chiller, LSX Concepts race drive, Flex Fuel Tune. 12.8 lbs. boost 753/724
vader87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:15 AM   #3
teddywetts

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Camaro, 2015 Silverado 6.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vader87 View Post
What all did you have to do to install it? Costs?
teddywetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:19 AM   #4
wirebender

Drives: 2017 ZL1, A10, White, sunroof, nav
Quote:
Originally Posted by vader87 View Post
+1!
wirebender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:52 AM   #5
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
You'll hear great things about BTR cams on here, and you can't go wrong with them.

I would also talk to Ted Jannetty, he is likely to step in here if he spots this thread. He does cam packages from mild to wild and can hook you up with a complete setup for your needs. You can go to his website, give him a call or email him.

If I was going to cam my ZL1, I'd likely just go with a BTR stage 3 and call it a day. It's going a bit towards the wild side but still has good drivability and makes awesome power.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 01:43 PM   #6
vader87

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddywetts View Post
What all did you have to do to install it? Costs?
Had a local shop here in El Paso install it.

Parts needed:
Cam, Springs and retainers (cam kit)
3 bolt cam conversion kit
New Balancer bolt
Tune

Recommend but not necessary:
Trunion Upgrade Highly recommended)
Water pump
plugs
Oil change
Antifreeze

I had a bunch of stuff done so I cant tell you the exact cost.
2013 ZL1/A6: CNC'd SC w/lid spacer, 2.35 upper, 9.45 lower, BTR Stage 3 Cam, Wilkes Performance CNC'd Heads, 1050cc injectors, DSX Aux pump, 1 7/8 headers, 102 TB, JLT CAI, Killer Chiller, LSX Concepts race drive, Flex Fuel Tune. 12.8 lbs. boost 753/724
vader87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 02:03 PM   #7
owhite3003
Z-BEAST

Drives: 2013 JDP ZL-850 Track Spec ZL1,
You know the cam is my favorite part of the build!!
owhite3003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 02:09 PM   #8
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Quote:

Roto-Fab CAI
Ported Blower Snout
Huge injectors

Ted
Really as far as your beginning mods you only need the CAI, a 2.55 upper pulley and solid isolator, porting the snout would be ok since it will be off, a catch can, 160 thermostat, plugs, and a good tune...You can pull the fuse to leave the cutouts open for a more aggressive growl...Most companies offer these stage 1 kits for around $2,500.00 installed and depending on the tune with an A6 it should get you close to 560rwhp give or take...2.38 not recommended due to belt slip, a lower would be recommended for more supercharger overdrive...Headers completely optional, as well as injectors and flex fuel sensor/additional fueling...So to cam, headers, injectors, flex fuel you would be looking at least and additional $5k to $7k and this is a conservative guess...GL with your choice...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 03:00 PM   #9
l_alvis

Drives: G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by STUNNAH View Post
Really as far as your beginning mods you only need the CAI, a 2.55 upper pulley and solid isolator, porting the snout would be ok since it will be off, a catch can, 160 thermostat, plugs, and a good tune...You can pull the fuse to leave the cutouts open for a more aggressive growl...Most companies offer these stage 1 kits for around $2,500.00 installed and depending on the tune with an A6 it should get you close to 560rwhp give or take...2.38 not recommended due to belt slip, a lower would be recommended for more supercharger overdrive...Headers completely optional, as well as injectors and flex fuel sensor/additional fueling...So to cam, headers, injectors, flex fuel you would be looking at least and additional $5k to $7k and this is a conservative guess...GL with your choice...
I'm pretty sure OP already has those mods and is looking for more with a cam.

Anyhow, I would say go for it. I installed a BTR stg 3 for a customers ZL1 along with kooks LT and it sounded wicked. It didn't have any drivability issues but this was also an M6 car, so you may need a bigger stall to keep the car from lurching around.
Old 11-21-2016, 04:20 PM   #10
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Yeah I take it that the OP already has the stated mods and is just asking for Cam recommendations and pricing.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 04:54 PM   #11
wirebender

Drives: 2017 ZL1, A10, White, sunroof, nav
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_alvis View Post

Anyhow, I would say go for it. I installed a BTR stg 3 for a customers ZL1 along with kooks LT and it sounded wicked. It didn't have any drivability issues but this was also an M6 car, so you may need a bigger stall to keep the car from lurching around.
No, you will not need a stall....unless you just want one....No "lurching around" with my A6 AT ALL!!!!!
wirebender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:22 PM   #12
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Boost mods & headers first with an appropriate tune is much easier
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 11:18 PM   #13
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddywetts View Post
Hey fellas. Im Ted, and I have a 2012 ZL1 that is nearly flawless. I am considering doing a cam in the spring. I have almost limited mechanical experience, and count on the local place to take care of things. The Shop is the name of the place where i take my car and Chad Fegley has a incredible reputation. My question is what would be a good cam to do for my car if I do not want to sacrifice drivability. I want to be able to take my wife on a date, or cruise it across the states just as i do now. I don't want it to chop and die, or be too over the top. i just want to pick up the extra horses that a cam would allow. So far my list of mods are as follows. (A6)

Roto-Fab CAI
Ported Blower Snout
Huge injectors

With these things in mind what would be a good next step? It seems a lot of you guys do cams, and i have to believe that some of them allow you to have your cake and eat it to. More power, great sound, and daily driver reliability. Any input would be much appreciated. Also if you do have a suggestion please let me know what all it entails, and cost. I want to consider all things. Thanks Guys!!!

Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_alvis View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Yeah I take it that the OP already has the stated mods and is just asking for Cam recommendations and pricing.
1st paragraph, last sentence is a statement...
2nd paragraph, 1st sentence is a question...
So let's just get clarification from Ted...
Ted what mods have you already done to the car???

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 11:23 PM   #14
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
I have a BTR Stage 3 cam in my 2012 auto and I do all of the things you want to do. Date night, no problem. Track day, no problem. Car sounds and runs great. No surging or drivability issues. I'm on the stock stall. Only minor annoyance is lack of vacuum at start up, so brake pedal is light in gear until it runs a bit. Pop it in neutral, and it returns full.