Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-28-2016, 08:14 PM   #1
Shade

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro 2LT/RS
Unhappy Coolant Leak on Passenger Side 2011 LT V6

I did a search and could not locate anyone who has had a similar issue like I am currently having. I have recently moved into my 1st house and now have a garage to keep my car in finally. It's a 2011 V6 LT manual transmission Camaro. It's been in the garage for about 2 months now. For the 1st month I didn't have any leaks or fluids on my floor. I decided a couple weeks back during my last oil change to top off all of my fluids. I haven't been super diligent in keeping on eye on my coolant levels. I haven't had any over heating issues. I found that my overflow tank was bone dry. So I top it off with fluid and checked it a couple days later. I found it was lower than what I filled it at last time (Cold engine level). I filled it again, the next day I noticed fluid on the ground. The weird part is it started where my transmission housing is. Tonight I jacked up the car and cranked it up to get her hot. When I got up to temperature it started dripping. But it's in a super tough location and I cant get my eyes on what is exactly leaking. I took a picture of the location. It appears to be where the heater core lines connect to the back of the engine block. I guess its weird that this didn't seem to start until I topped off the tank.

I took a couple photos pointing out the location. It doesn't constantly drip, only when the engine is hot and throttled up. Would anyone have any idea what is leaking? I dont even know how to get back there without having to dismantling a lot of stuff.
Attached Images

Shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:04 PM   #2
tlavoie87
Built Not Bought

Drives: 2010 Twin Turbo LFX
thermostat housing gasket, easy fix.. thats where the line go that you cant see with the right tools its not a hard job at all

"Built Not Bought!'

Sponsors:
OverKill Motorsports
tlavoie87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:48 PM   #3
Shade

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro 2LT/RS
Wow, I didn't even think the T-stat would be located on the back of the engine. I googled it and found another post on this forum showing it's location. All my previous cars had it right by the water pump up front. Thanks!

Here is the link in case someone in the future has the same problem.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343955
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:59 PM   #4
1realmccoy

Drives: 2010 V6 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
Wow, I didn't even think the T-stat would be located on the back of the engine. I googled it and found another post on this forum showing it's location. All my previous cars had it right by the water pump up front. Thanks!

Here is the link in case someone in the future has the same problem.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343955
hi
I'm having the same problem, what did you end up changing out the whole thermostat or just the gasket from the thermostat to the hearter inlet/outlet pipe ? thanks
1realmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:33 PM   #5
dustin0284

Drives: 2014 BRM 1LT
This is the 3rd Camaro V6 i've seen in 5 minutes on this forum with a coolant leak. Fortunately they all seem to be the same thing, an easy fix.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:03 PM   #6
1realmccoy

Drives: 2010 V6 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin0284 View Post
This is the 3rd Camaro V6 i've seen in 5 minutes on this forum with a coolant leak. Fortunately they all seem to be the same thing, an easy fix.
Have you done this fix before ? Debating if I should have my mechanic do it
1realmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 07:04 PM   #7
gahammerle

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6 Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin0284 View Post
Is there a write up somewhere on this fix? Mine is leaking coolant from that area, so I'm guessing it is this.

Injen CAI / Solo Mach-X LLT / Solo High-flow res-cats / Barton short shifter / RX Catch Can / RPI Gills / 35% tint / LED Footwell Lighting Front & Rear / Pedders Street 1 / Pedders steering rack bushing / SS struts / Pfadt drop springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Spohn Toe Rods / Spohn Trailing Arms / Trifecta Tune / MACE 25mm Intake Spacers

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/gahammerle
gahammerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:51 PM   #8
tlavoie87
Built Not Bought

if your handy its definitely a DIY .. can get a little tight but can be done.. if any ones needs some advice let me know ive done my thermostat a couple times ( long story)

"Built Not Bought!'

Sponsors:
OverKill Motorsports
Old 03-29-2017, 01:50 PM   #9
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
My car is suffering similar symptoms with dried coolant around the passenger side shorties. My dealership states it's a head gasket leak, now I'm not sure what is correct.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:10 PM   #10
tlavoie87
Built Not Bought

Dizzy start with the thermostat gasket parts are very inexpensive and to do yourself would only be a couple hours

"Built Not Bought!'

Sponsors:
OverKill Motorsports
Old 03-30-2017, 05:51 AM   #11
fhrex

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS
We had a 2010 LS at the shop with a coolant leak extremely similar to this; turned out to be heater hoses leaking at couplings.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:03 PM   #12
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Tried to get some photos, the engine bay is surprisingly hard to get a camera properly positioned in. Does this look like where the thermostat gasket leaks.
Attached Images

BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 05:06 PM   #13
W4rMach1ne

Drives: 2011 Camaro LT1
This is what happened to my old camaro 2011 v6. The dealer said the samething after replacing the heater cooler, thermostat housing and it was still leaking. I traded it in, but miss it at times. I love my truck though :P
W4rMach1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 05:26 PM   #14
Mongo RS

Drives: 2010 2LT M6 RS
This has just started leaking on my '10 RS. I'm not too thrilled to have to be doing repairs like this on a 7 year old car with only 110,000 miles.

I have an 83 Chevy van with a 305 (150,000 miles) that I have driven across the country with no issues, and I only had to pay $600 for it and put in a $100 radiator.

You sure can tell the LLT was designed to be used in a FWD application, only logical reason to put a maintenance part at the rear of the engine.