Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 01-19-2017, 10:35 PM   #1
ARuiz9

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE
Rear O2 sensors

What's the reason for turning off the rear O2 sensors after header install and tune or why do some tuners choose to shut them off? And will this present future issues when it comes to emissions testing in the future?
ARuiz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:42 PM   #2
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Drives: 13 Tahoe 79 Scout II 15 1LE
Typically rears are removed with long tube headers. They are then turned off so that the check engine light can be cleared.

Sent from my campfire using smoke signals.
Superman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:13 PM   #3
ARuiz9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynosteve View Post
wether you remove the rear 02 sensors or not, when you fit a set of headers it will trigger a 02 sensor warning this is corrected with a custom tune and i can help you with a tune if you need one sir
I haven't put my headers on yet, maybe in like two weeks. My question/concern is if the rear o2 has to be turned off and if so will I problems passing my emissions test in the future? But I thank you for your help, I have been considering going to you for a tune afterwards.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:27 PM   #4
ARuiz9

Quote:
i can program it so you can pass emmisions sir but you do have to have the 02 sensors fitted into the exhaust sir
Ok thanks I'll be giving you a call in the next couple of weeks.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:57 PM   #5
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Quote:
Cool
How long does it take the permanent codes to clear after the tune? Miles and/or start cycles?
Old 09-18-2017, 08:31 PM   #6
CWI
Helping Build America

Quote:
Instantly
I clear the codes but they come right back. On my OBDll reader it says they are "permanent" codes and have been told they will drop after 500 miles or some BS. I know some codes need a certain number of start or drive cycles. I need to renew registration but these codes show on emissions test. Was hoping someone would know how long it takes. Tuned in Houston and they say it will pass once the codes drop.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:40 PM   #7
mma

Drives: 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWI View Post
I clear the codes but they come right back. On my OBDll reader it says they are "permanent" codes and have been told they will drop after 500 miles or some BS. I know some codes need a certain number of start or drive cycles. I need to renew registration but these codes show on emissions test. Was hoping someone would know how long it takes. Tuned in Houston and they say it will pass once the codes drop.
What codes are you getting? I was tuned by Steve and they cleared right away.. something with your set up isn't right.
mma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:15 PM   #8
CWI
Helping Build America

From what I have been able to learn is that P420 and P430 are "permanent" codes meaning they cannot just be erased. The codes were set before the tune and they stay until the ECU learns that the required repair has been made satisfactorily. No way around it. CEL is tuned out but these permanent codes can't be.

If someone knows how to handle this exact situation please share so I can take that info to my tuner. I don't need to hear what should happen.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:46 PM   #9
CWI
Helping Build America

Finally some information with some meat. Maybe others on here can learn something too.
I'm going to try what this article says and will report back.

https://www.autoserviceworld.com/fea...ermanent-dtcs/

Tags
1le, camaro, header install, o2 sensors, tune