Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 12-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
TheGrey

Drives: 2012 Ashen Grey 1LT RS
Passenger airbag not turning on

So I've noticed a couple of times, with different passengers, that sometimes the passenger airbag light stays in the off position. It doesn't do it consistantly but it does worry me because either my wife or one of my kids is usually in the passenger seat. I would hate to be in an accident and the airbags do not deploy for my passenger. I've been to the dealership 3 times so far for this. They've been unable to duplicate how this happens but they are trying to help. They've tested all the sensors in the seat, have completetly removed the seat to check wiring, etc....but cannot replicate it. The last time it happened I made a video with my phone for the dealership to see. The service director has seen the video and forwarded the video to GM. GM wants the dealership to try one more test and possible fix with the car but if it continues the service manager has said that GM has agreed to purchase the car back. The dealership has been awesome but I don't want to lose the car. I love the camaro and would get another one if GM were to purchase the vehicle back, but I'm just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this problem. By the way it's a 2012 1LT.
TheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
there was a thread on here with someone that had this issue, it was only on his car.

His wife had to sit in exactly a certain position to get it on at all. They tested it on other Camaro's on the lot and no problem, just his.

He had engineers and everything come look at it, GM kept saying it was working as designed, even though it was not the same as even the other cars on the lot. He even went to court and lost to the lawyers (as in plural) they flew in.

look it up, it is good reading on how far GM will go rather than just replace a seat......anything but fixing an issue by a customer who already has purchased a vehicle.... GM will spend 10's of thousands of dollars and alienate customers rather than repair a $500 issue.

Hope you don't have the same issue....

Last edited by Rhyder; 12-19-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrey View Post
So I've noticed a couple of times, with different passengers, that sometimes the passenger airbag light stays in the off position. It doesn't do it consistantly but it does worry me because either my wife or one of my kids is usually in the passenger seat. I would hate to be in an accident and the airbags do not deploy for my passenger. I've been to the dealership 3 times so far for this. They've been unable to duplicate how this happens but they are trying to help. They've tested all the sensors in the seat, have completetly removed the seat to check wiring, etc....but cannot replicate it. The last time it happened I made a video with my phone for the dealership to see. The service director has seen the video and forwarded the video to GM. GM wants the dealership to try one more test and possible fix with the car but if it continues the service manager has said that GM has agreed to purchase the car back. The dealership has been awesome but I don't want to lose the car. I love the camaro and would get another one if GM were to purchase the vehicle back, but I'm just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this problem. By the way it's a 2012 1LT.
Please let us know any updates you may have. We are here if you have any questions at all!

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 01-16-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
TheGrey

Took the vehicle in today and there were 2 reps from GM present at the dealership. From what the service manager told me my car was on their agenda due to the airbag issue. Didn't hear anything tonight so hopefully tomorrow I'll hear something and will be able to update on here. Keeping my fingers crossed
Old 01-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #5
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
There is a weight threshold that the airbag will be on. There is also a minimum where the airbag won't be on. There is a range between those where it may or may not be on.

Also depending on the size and shape of the individual you can get differing conditions. My wife is petite. If she sits cross legged in a Camaro, the airbag light will go off. If she sits normal it is on.

So it depends.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:03 AM   #6
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Took the vehicle in today and there were 2 reps from GM present at the dealership. From what the service manager told me my car was on their agenda due to the airbag issue. Didn't hear anything tonight so hopefully tomorrow I'll hear something and will be able to update on here. Keeping my fingers crossed
Great! Please let us know the outcome.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 01-17-2013, 08:44 AM   #7
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
TSB #PI-0241 - this is the one you want.

also see #PIC-5538-A , #PIP-4813A , #SB-12-09-41-001

also - see this link: http://www.faqs.org/car/chevrolet-camaro-2011/air-bags/
Old 01-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #8
TheGrey

Stig thanks for the information. My Camaro might be ready today at the earliest but they told me Monday is more likely when iit will be ready. I'm forwarding the info to the svc manager and I'll provide updates as I get them.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #9
TheGrey

As for the seating position wife has tried readjusting herself and changing seat positions to no avail. We even did the reset suggested in the manual but it still does it. The biggest issue is that its intermittent. The dealership can't duplicate the problem and all sensors are reading fine.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:26 AM   #10
TheGrey

Okay here is the latest. Chevy replaced all the sensors in the passenger seat and replaced the airbag computer. Gave me a full tank of gas and so far so good (I've had the car back since Mon). I'm really hoping this fixes the issue because I'd hate to lose the camaro. If it came to it I'd definitely get another one anyway because I love this car. I have to say that Courtesy Chevrolet on West Colonial (Orlando FL) have been awesome to deal with. They've been very helpful trying to fix the airbag issue.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:04 PM   #11
510queen

Drives: 2011 LS
Having this same issue with one of my daughters..... Reading up on all the threads before I take it in
510queen is offline   Reply With Quote