Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-29-2014, 01:26 PM   #1
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Extended warranty: Where to buy

I'm interested because I'm buying a convertible and I'm mostly concerned about the top being covered for an extended period.

When we bought a Toyota a couple of years ago, we discovered that one could buy the Toyota extended plan from any dealer in the country. There were a couple of dealer's selling them near cost because if they hit a certain bogey, they'd get a big rebate from the OE and live off that as their profit. Does this same scenario exist with Chevy extended warranties?

My dealer offered me $300 off but was still in the $2000+ neighborhood for a non-GM plan. I asked about mods and the answer was, the non-GM parts aren't covered but they won't violate the extended warranty coverage.

Where's the best place to get a deal on extended coverage for the top?
Old 03-29-2014, 01:31 PM   #2
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
I wouldnt trust an extended warranty from GM if they gave it to me. But thats just my opinion. Dont know anyone who has truely benefitted from one.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:39 PM   #3
Indydriver

If you spend any time on the convertible forum, it sure seems like a good idea!
Old 03-29-2014, 07:14 PM   #4
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
The GMPP's have always worked out well for me. And yes, you can buy them from any dealer - and there are many that discount them deeply. You can purchase a GMPP new car warranty any time before the factory 36mo/36K warranty expires.

The best time to buy a warranty is just before your car reached 36K miles or 36 months. The time/mileage on a GMPP begins on the date you buy it and you don't want your GMPP overlapping your factory bumper to bumper warranty.

Several years ago, these guys had the best price, but I can't say if they still do.
http://www.gmoutlet.com/gmpp.htm

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:22 PM   #5
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
I would avoid any 3rd party warranties. Its a pain to deal with and they always try to weasle out of paying.

I saw many guys on the ram forums that had Hemis blow up and the 3rd party warranties gave them hell trying to get it covered.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:33 AM   #6
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Call Becky at Rodgers Chevrolet. She will make you a good deal.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:18 AM   #7
2011ss/rs

Drives: 11 ss/rs RJT w/Black Cherry stripes
Send a message via AIM to 2011ss/rs
I bought my extended warranty while I was signing the paperwork at the dealership. Once I began modifying the car I went back to the dealer with my paperwork and canceled the remaining months without any problems from GMPP.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:29 AM   #8
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
This is a recent thread on the Convertible Forum as bumper to bumper coverage on the 1st convertibles sold in March 2011 is expiring and folks are looking to extend their warranty. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=338605 . It's a good read.

There are several options you may have for a GM Protection Plan (GMPP):
gmppdirect.com https://www.gmppdirect.com/consumerd...webhome.action (as long as your vehicle is still under the original bumper to bumper warranty, you can purchase a plan directly through them - I "think" it's negotiable with them.

You can go to your dealer and try to negotiate with them or you can try these folks: www.gmoutlet.com (this is what I'm going to investigate).

Read thread I suggested above. It'll provide some good insight, IMHO. Be careful of "mods", though.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."

Last edited by Baba; 03-30-2014 at 04:40 AM.
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:24 AM   #9
DaveA

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS vert
I'll preface my opinions by stating that everyone has the right to spend their money as they see fit. It's your money. Throw it away for all I care!

Warranties are a waste of money.

They cover jack. They are a pain in the ass. If you take care of your car and buy a reliable car, you won't need it. If you are buying used to save money, but then buying an extended warranty to cover the used factor, then simply put that money towards a new car.

When I buy a car, and I always buy new these days (and always will; depreciation matters not if you drive the car until it's dead), I always laugh at them when they try to sell me a warranty. I'll ask back: Do you not have faith in the product you are selling me? Are you telling me that it's going to have mechanical issues after the factory warranty? They come back with phrases like "Peace of mind...." and "You never know when you might need it." But I do know. I know I'll need it if the vehicle you are selling me starts having mechanical issues after the warranty period. I'm talking about non wear and tear stuff, since the wear and tear stuff isn't covered anyway.

Do the math. As someone who has been buying cars for over 20 years, I have saved enough money on NOT buying extended warranties to go out and buy another car outright.

When I got together with my wife, she was amazed I didn't have AAA. "What happens if you get a flat tire?", she asked. My response: I change it. "What if you break down and need a tow?", she asked. I call and get it towed. I have paid for four tows in my entire life. Again, do the math. $80 AAA * 25 years of driving > cost of four tows. Fact.

Comparing cost of a tow and cost of a new engine aren't the best example. But again, I have saved enough in not buying the warranties that if something ever did happen and I had to pay $3 or $4,000 for major repairs, I wouldn't think too much about it.

Again, your money, your right to do what you want. I just wanted to share my opinion why I don't do them. Something to consider.

Last edited by DaveA; 03-30-2014 at 08:11 AM.
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:05 AM   #10
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
use some sunbrella to waterproof the top, never had a problem with my top in the year I owned a convertible even when they were recalled and padding replaced etc...mine was fine. Save the money, warranties go concurrent with your current warranty usually so they can start to rip you off right away, and yes mods do void any warranty usually for drive train.......... even a "special non g.m. warranty especially", always read the fine print they suck. I got one once that really sucked forced on me with the purchase of a used truck, I had to save every oil change receipt, and had to add their special crap to my radiator and trans, then could not refund unless sold....... traded that truck in..........
Old 04-18-2014, 10:03 AM   #11
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
My wife and I had a 2007 Saturn Outlook that we bought new. We were having some powertrain warranty work done at a local dealership and went in to talk to them about extended warranties. Wel let's just say they wanted like 3 grand for a 3 yr 36000 mile warranty. We went to our local credit union and got the same one for half the cost. We recently had to bring the car in to the dealership for tranny problem and the dealer was just going to replace the parts that had wore out and the warranty company told them to replace the whole tranny. Well the bill was $4200 and we paid $50. Also since the dealership installed the tranny it has a 36/36 warranty on it. We bought the warranty to take care of the big items that could possibly have issues. Motor, tranny, ac, etc. So I guess some would say that I got a factory built and installed tranny for less than $1500. That sounds a lot better than coming up with $4200 IMO. So really it all comes back to do you think you will have the cash to pay for such repairs or not. But I think why pay full price for a repair when you can use a warranty to pay for the majority of it. If you go and talk to the service advisors or manager at your local dealership they will tell you the best ones to look for.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:30 PM   #12
gtista

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS
Extended warrantees are never worth the money. Also, probably would not cover a convertible top anyway since most problems are "normal" wear & tear. If thinking of buying, be sure to read the fine print to see if the top would be covered at all.
gtista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:16 PM   #13
Indydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtista View Post
Extended warrantees are never worth the money. Also, probably would not cover a convertible top anyway since most problems are "normal" wear & tear. If thinking of buying, be sure to read the fine print to see if the top would be covered at all.
This is what I have discovered about both GM extended warranties and third party ones. This was the only reason I was interested. So, no go for me.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:59 PM   #14
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Those of you saying extended warranties are not worth the money are making alot of assumptions. All depends on how long you plan on keeping the car and how many miles you put on the car per year. I would agree with not going with any aftermarket warranties, go with the GMPP warranty. Call Fichtner Chevrolet in Billings, MT, they will sell you one for cost. Also, the GMPP plan has so many different ways you can structure the warranty everyone can find one that fits.

We have a 2007 Avalanche with almost 80,000 miles on it. I keep trucks anywhere from 6-9 years. We paid less than $1200 for a bumper to bumper, 0 deductible warranty through Fichtner Chevrolet. It gave us a total of 7 years-84,000 miles of coverage. We have had to have the front struts replaced twice, and because we have the LTZ model we have the load leveling system in the truck and the front struts have sensors on them. These struts are not cheap, in the neighborhood of $800 each, so my warranty has more than paid for itself.

If you plan on keeping the car 4-5 years, probably doesn't make sense to buy one. I keep mine typically 6-9 years so it pays for me, especially when I can buy them so cheap. If you are paying more than about $1400 for an extended GMPP warranty you are paying too much.
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote