Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 05-04-2011, 08:53 AM   #1
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
One more testdrive: 11 Sonata GLS

Okay, I wasn't even expecting to drive one of these, but decided to see what was available on the used market. I went to one of the local dealerships that sells only used cars. They had a nice 11 Sonata, basic model, steel wheels and covers, yet had plenty of features, such as voice controlled bluetooth. They wanted 21900 which is basically what this car would cost new. Anyways, on to the review.

Basics: 11 Sonata GLS, 35MPG, 12000 miles

Exterior. I have such mixed feelings about the styling on this car. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't. I actually thought it looked pretty good in white, but seriously needed a nicer set of wheels. Again, as with the Elantra, it is a love it/hate it design. I will say the Limited models with the nicer wheels seems to have a better look all around.

Interior: I really have no complaints here. It looked great, it was easy to get in a comfortable position, the seats were just right, the controls were all easy to reach and the displays all easy to see. It had plenty of options, all the power stuff, cruise, CD, bluetooth, steering wheel controls, voice activation for the bluetooth, etc, etc. It also had tons of room in all directions. The interior was also extremely quiet.

Powertrain: Can't really say I have any complaints here either. The GDi 2.4 pulls strongly and is very smooth. The transmission and engine worked well together. Downshifts under full or part throttle were brisk, but not abrupt. Upshifts were silky smooth. The automated manual control also worked well, without any real delay before the downshift or upshift went through.

Ride/Handling: This car had an excellent ride and handling balance. The suspension soaked up bumps with no problem. If you could tell there was a bump or pothole, it is because you heard it, not felt it. Taking some nice sweeping curves the suspension had little to no body roll and even with the small tires held the road no problem and this was in the pouring rain! The only demerit I can think of is that the steering was a little numb and could be a little better on center. Otherwise, it was actually pretty fun to drive.

Pros and cons:

Pros: Good power, good engine/transmission balance and communication, features, price, room, ride/handling balance, interior design

cons: Love it/hate it styling, somewhat numb steering

Overall: A truly fun to drive and roomy family sedan which just happens to be tops in fuel mileage with good power, excellent build quality, and a handsome intior, and plenty of room.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:03 AM   #2
T56LS102

Drives: 2013 GT Mustang A6
So have you decided on what car you're going to get, my gf just got a Lancer gts, she really likes it, have you looked at those?
T56LS102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:53 AM   #3
Stew

Actually I think I have. After driving the Sonata, i think I am gonna hold off for a bit and wait until I can get into a SE turbo. 274 HP, 33 mpg, not bad at all. I looked at the Lancers, but among small cars it's gas mileage is a bit subpar, but still nice cars, just not what I had in mind.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:46 AM   #4
King Sun
Casual Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Black LS V6
the sonata imo has the better interior design out of the other 2 cars. It looks like a mini cls class.
King Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:51 AM   #5
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
I like the Sonata too for a daily driver. Don't forget to consider the Kia Optima, it's the same car underneath.
Agree 21900 is too much for a used one.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:40 AM   #6
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Get the cruze Stew. Get the Cruze Stew.

LOL.

But nice write up as always. (Although you have had a lot of practice)
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:33 PM   #7
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Stew, on a side note:

http://www.demlford.com/410912.htm

They have an SEL in as well.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:01 AM   #8
Stew

Man those new Focuses (or Focii or whatever in plural LOL) are nice cars!