Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-17-2011, 04:35 PM   #29
Teamspeed
Invisicord Products

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
The stock line pops in and out of the stock plastic air bridge (just pull it out), and the other end will unclip and come off a nipple. The RX breather kit comes with the plug caps that you can use to plug that one nipple, and if your VRam has the brass nipple coming out of the coupler, the other cap would go over that. Better yet would be to have a coupler with no hole so that the brass fitting doesn't disrupt the airflow inside.

At least this is what I have gleaned from reading and looking at pics, I haven't yet installed my vararam, but have checked out the plumbing to make sure I have it squared away. I already put the catch can on, and I need to see how/if it will interfere with the vararam now. I hope not.
Teamspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:01 PM   #30
mike.nite

Drives: 2011 2SS L99, 2010 LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
What I dont like about the VRam connection is it is a 3/8" barb fitting that protrudes app 1" into the intake air stream causing a small amount of disturbance.
This is exactly what I was concerned about :

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.nite View Post
The second problem I am not shure about is the fact that the nipple reaches quite far into the coupler hose and has a affect on the air stream. I mean a lot of us are buying stuff like Vmax ported TB or Fast intakes to improve airflow. At the same time we plug a 1 1/2 inch long nipple right in front of the TB inlet.... this makes no sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
We replace it with a 1/4 NPTx 3/8" barb 90* fitting if retaining it.
Do you have a picture of this? Do you also have some black coupler hose in stock? You could make a replacement combo (coupler+breather or coupler+barb) for us poor vararam owners.
mike.nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:15 PM   #31
Camarowguy

Drives: 2011 imperial blue SS, black 92 RS
Quote:
Any pics?
Sorry I didn't see this post. I'll take some pics tonight.
2004 5.7 GTO 78mm turbo
Camarowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:53 PM   #32
mike.nite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarowguy View Post
Sorry I didn't see this post. I'll take some pics tonight.
Thanks in advance Camarowguy
Old 11-19-2011, 12:24 AM   #33
cactuseater

Drives: .
here's a picture of the K&N part number 08761 attached to my Vararam. Got it today, 2 days from ordering. They're lightning fast with shipping. Anyhow, hope this helps.

It's a little snug on the Vram, and as a result you will not have to tighten the clamps very much, just snug it up. Also the hose is a smooth silicone based finish on the inside.

FYI --- I have not been able to install into the car yet --- waiting for enough time out of my day to call RX about the oil catch can & breather setup whereby I do not have to put a hole into the hose coupling for the PCV line. I am not really "hip" to doing that, and the catch can gig seems to be the right avenue to go.

More on this at it progresses. The black hose adds a clean finish.....

Last edited by cactuseater; 09-28-2012 at 03:25 AM.
cactuseater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 02:31 PM   #34
mike25

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Im loosing my patience with vararam- i still dont believe they have a vararam to fit the 2012's...
2LT/RS M6 CGM VIN#53104 SOLD

2012 Black 2SS/RS w/ Hurst-

Mods:
Corsa catback, SSE, Vararam
mike25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:26 PM   #35
Teamspeed
Invisicord Products

Looks nice in black!

Well I just installed my vararam, and it does feel great once on the road and it relearned trims, etc.

I have also seen where there are quality issues, like what others have described. For one in particular, I might have to contact Steve. The base where the MAF connects to now has one of its metal screw sleeves pull out of the base. Also, the coupler actually starts to cover over that base as well, and I had to cut it back around the MAF base.

The design issue is that the stock box MAF base has its screw channels raised about 1/8" above the base. That is because the factory MAF screw base plates don't sit flush when you screw it in. The vararam base is completely flat including these screw sleeves. If you tighten too much or the coupler puts pressure on the MAF, etc, it pulls these sleeves out. I had to tap one back in, then I had to use a small washer on each screw between the MAF and base to fill in the gap.

I am afraid the maf will eventually pull free from the base now, and strand me somewhere. I will have to put some cable ties in the car just in case.

In any case, I am sure they are working on the 2012 design.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:32 PM   #36
mike.nite

@ cactuseater: Nice - thanks for sharing!
Old 11-20-2011, 12:24 AM   #37
cactuseater

Drives: .
Sorry to hear about the MAF install issue. Also make sure you're using the screws that came with the Vararam...or maybe those you have are not quite right, ask Steve or Patrick about that too. When I put the black K&N hose on, I found it to be a tad snugger than the orange hose, and I was eyeing that thing so that the coupler hose extended around the stainless ring reinforced area on the Vram. Thus the hose and the retaining clamp are about 3mm away from the MAF assembly, and the clamps did not have to be tightened hardly at all -- hand tightened and an then a half turn - the hose is going nowhere and the clamps pressure is right on top of that reinforcement ring inside the Vram assembly.

The orange hose gig was much harder to deal with in this case. So far no issues, but I haven't installed it back into the car yet....waiting to contact Tracy at RX for catch can info so I can eliminate the need to put a hole in the hose and connect the PCV to it - just don't like the idea of that hose on there again.

Run that thing for about 100 miles on/off highway and you will notice a big difference in your engine sound, performance, and throttle response over the stock airbox. From years of driving with ram air, especially with my Z06 that came stock with it, I am very pleased that someone finally gave us that for this generation Camaro. The LS3 runs so much better with the straight, short tube to the throttle body. (Speaking of which now I'm looking at the ported TB's offered by another member!...I gotta stay off this thing it's costing me double -- I have to do the same mods to my wife's Camaro as well or she gets jealous. )

I do admit, the Vararam is a learning curve thing - but foks in the end it's worth it. And not meaning to spam the shit out of this thing, Patrick at Vararam puts forth a lot of conversation on the phone, he is very passionate about the research in his product and will be more than happy to talk to you about the MAF snag. Definitely a class act. So far, 100% of the folks I've talked to and dealt with on this forum, especially suppliers such as Jonathan at AAC and Vararam have been CLASS ACTS. My shameless plug...sorry....

I've changed a few things, like the different black hose (K&N 4"x4"x2") with a snugger fit, the re-hose thing using an RX can, and a new set of clamps courtesy of Vararam, etc. More pics to follow as I get the parts and find time to tinker! I promise.

Best regards and BE WELL for the upcoming holiday to all - - be careful out there on the road this time of year.
cactuseater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:35 AM   #38
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamspeed View Post
Looks nice in black!

Well I just installed my vararam, and it does feel great once on the road and it relearned trims, etc.

I have also seen where there are quality issues, like what others have described. For one in particular, I might have to contact Steve. The base where the MAF connects to now has one of its metal screw sleeves pull out of the base. Also, the coupler actually starts to cover over that base as well, and I had to cut it back around the MAF base.

The design issue is that the stock box MAF base has its screw channels raised about 1/8" above the base. That is because the factory MAF screw base plates don't sit flush when you screw it in. The vararam base is completely flat including these screw sleeves. If you tighten too much or the coupler puts pressure on the MAF, etc, it pulls these sleeves out. I had to tap one back in, then I had to use a small washer on each screw between the MAF and base to fill in the gap.

I am afraid the maf will eventually pull free from the base now, and strand me somewhere. I will have to put some cable ties in the car just in case.

In any case, I am sure they are working on the 2012 design.
Did you pull the rubber gasket off your old intake, that is your seal on the MAF, there is no need for the small washer under the MAF, if you leave the washers, your going to get air that is not metered.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:04 AM   #39
Camarowguy

Quote:
Thanks in advance Camarowguy
Sorry. I forgot again. So I ran outside in my boxers and took some pics for you.

2004 5.7 GTO 78mm turbo
Old 11-20-2011, 10:09 AM   #40
Camarowguy

Mine came withno screws. I had a guy out in the shop initially install it for me (because I couldn't wait till I got home to install it!) and he tried to use the factory maf screws and the inserts pulled out. I went to grainger and bought some thread-serts and all is well now
2004 5.7 GTO 78mm turbo
Old 11-20-2011, 12:20 PM   #41
Teamspeed
Invisicord Products

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
Did you pull the rubber gasket off your old intake, that is your seal on the MAF, there is no need for the small washer under the MAF, if you leave the washers, your going to get air that is not metered.
The Vararam already came with a MAF with its seal. The washers have to go under the screw mounts of the maf. This because the Vararam just has a completely flat surface, including the screw sleeves. These sleeves should be raised up much like how the factory MAF mount is designed. They aren't, so any pressure on the MAF from installation, having the coupler go up against the MAF, or trying to put the screws in securely (not overtightening) all cause the inserts to pop out.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:34 PM   #42
Todd3544

Drives: 12 Camaro 2SS/RS, 11 Denali, 08 HD
Vararam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike25 View Post
Im loosing my patience with vararam- i still dont believe they have a vararam to fit the 2012's...

I am in the same boat. I called them the day I got my 12(Sep 13th) and informed them the current Vararam did not fit. They said "uh oh"!! Said it would take 30 days to get the new one out. Called them about two weeks ago, said it would be another month. Still waiting.....
Todd3544 is offline   Reply With Quote