Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-16-2019, 02:57 PM   #15
JBinSD

Drives: '23 LT Vert M6'16 Hyper 2SS Vert MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroJD View Post
I guess you'll be getting a brand new wheel!

My advice is to spend a little time talking to the shop and make sure you get a good feel before you trust them.
Thanks, the customer service guy up front was nice and concerned, but he obviously didn't do (or attempt to do) the job, but I asked and they had "their best guy" on the job. He repeated this even after stating they screwed up, and didn't know what to do.

I took it to Discount down the street, and they got it done, but there was another issue with stress cracks on the rims, which is a whole other frustrating story about to unravel. Sigh, its expensive to have nice things. . .
JBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 03:25 PM   #16
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinSD View Post
but there was another issue with stress cracks on the rims, which is a whole other frustrating story about to unravel.
Wait, whut?!

Did you have those stress cracks on the rims before going to the tire shop?
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 03:48 PM   #17
viurniel
@viurniel

Drives: 19 ZLE A10, 15 2SS, 90 300ZXTT
This is the only car for which I purchased wheel and tire insurance and it has paid off in two flat tires. I was upset the day I bought the car and couldn't believe I paid for that crap, but now I am glad I paid.
viurniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 04:00 PM   #18
JBinSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Wait, whut?!

Did you have those stress cracks on the rims before going to the tire shop?
Didn't know I had the stress cracks until I was changing tires, three significant cracks on one of the rims, and NOT the one that was shredded by the TireRack installer. Discount refused to mount a new tire on it, claiming it would ruin the tire and likely be flat by morning. Yay, now I need two new rims, powdercoating, etc.

Rims came from a popular vendor on this forum, so I may get some support for replacement, will update when I know.

Last edited by JBinSD; 08-16-2019 at 04:02 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-16-2019, 04:14 PM   #19
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i cant say the name but pretty sure i know who they are haha
Old 08-16-2019, 05:38 PM   #20
JBinSD

The manufacturer's rep hasn't taken responsibility for the product failure yet, but hopefully they will. . . I'll keep the forum in the loop.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:51 PM   #21
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinSD View Post
The manufacturer's rep hasn't taken responsibility for the product failure yet, but hopefully they will. . . I'll keep the forum in the loop.
Looks like they took care of you last time this happened. I still wouldn't rule out the tire shop on this one. That tire would have been flat before it came in to them.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=522049

Old 08-16-2019, 05:59 PM   #22
kropscamaro16

i would go hit up hre since your local to them and get some hre flowforms...doesnt look like this is the first time this has happen to you
Old 08-16-2019, 05:59 PM   #23
JBinSD

Looks like they will back their product again, which is appreciated. The "certified installer" shop admitted liability, but their manager is supposedly out of town until next week, so I'm both wary and weary of getting this stuff fixed (again). Good to know if forum sponsors stand by their product, but would be better if I didn't have to deal with it at all. I'm going to have a beer and try to forget about it for the weekend.
Thanks for the support and cheers,
Joel
Old 08-16-2019, 06:04 PM   #24
kropscamaro16

fixed or replaced at no cost?
Old 08-16-2019, 06:25 PM   #25
Carlos_MRRWheelsInc

Drives: camaro
Smile

So.... Hi guys is me, your friendly MRR sales associate and Camaro5,Camaro6 sponsor for well over a couple of years now.

Lets get this on the go, As many of you guys know we have been selling wheels catered to the Camaro platform for a while now, Plenty of M228 wheels and M017 wheels going around the community and I feel very confident saying that when ever we have been needed we have been around to help out even in times when we and the customer know it is not our fault but just like in the past with your last wheel we helped you out and gave you a great discount on a replacement wheel correct?? their is a post that proves this. ( odd that the next possible warranty I get is from the same customer... no others )
anyway so just to keep things transparent here is what I can do for you.

1. for the wheel that tire rack installer screwed up..... sorry buddy we didnt do that and we will not be responsible to cover someone else's mistake.

2. for the stress cracks Yes we will 100% send you a new wheel as a replacement but we first must determine if the wheel cracked just because through normal driving etc
or if the car was driven on flats or if they where caused by driver error, impact etc.
This part is completely out of my hands as it go's through our warranty department which you have been speaking with through out the day via email so i dont really understand your previous mentions of a supportive vendor not speaking with you.

I would highly recommend speaking with anyone on this forum who are customers of MRR wheels and see how their experience has been with our wheels and our support if ever was needed.

This could have been much easier but one thing that just dont sit right is when we help someone and then this fiasco comes up which makes our brand look like we simply dont care. I have personally been following this thread since the first posting and I simply played around with my computer mouse and wondered when you would contact us or email me, or pm me or anything, no forum member is going to get you a new wheel....
neither is the next guy..... neither will another brand.... but guess who will.. this guy

Anyway it looks like you've been in contact with our warranty guys who will be taking care of you.
Carlos_MRRWheelsInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 06:31 PM   #26
Carlos_MRRWheelsInc

Drives: camaro
On another note.... I know right.
It was said that powder coating will be something that will be done as well.....
please make sure is properly done and that is through a reliable coater.
when wheels are powder coated they are cured in tempertures of 350deg -400 max and for a certain time which can be anywhere from 15-20 minutes

what happens when is over heated ??? or over cured ??? the aluminum molecules go haywire and loose its structure integrity which results in the wheels cracking and some parts of the wheels and in some cases is not all of them simply the ones receiving more heat.
if your wheels have been powder coated multiple times then this will also be a issue and reason for the cracking. just FYI
Carlos_MRRWheelsInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:20 PM   #27
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
You got to go to BMW with Hunter machine. Discount is trash. Look at the name.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:58 PM   #28
JBinSD

Not looking to fan any flames, but to set the record straightI reached out to the vendor that sold the wheels, he referred me to the distributor, and we began a dialogue regarding what happened. I never said the vendor ignored me, nor have I explicitly named or accused the manufacturer or vendor of any impropriety. I was, and still am, grateful for the product support and responsiveness of the forum vendor. I have not and would not hold a manufacturer responsible for the negligence of another company.
I have not heard back form the installer, and just sent an email to Tire Rack, but the issue is in its infancy and O haven't accused anyone except the tire installation co, who has already verbally accepted responsibility.
Discount Tire, btw cleaned up the mess from prior installer, spotted the cracks, and has always treated me fairly. I normally use them, but Tire Rack had an un-beatable deal. . .