Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 02-10-2016, 10:34 PM   #1
dale88jrdew
Brad

Drives: 2016 2LT/RS
Replace SS Emblem on grill?

I tried searching but it's not working for me, so I apologize if this has been asked before and if there is already a thread for it if someone could guide me there, that would be great too.

I bought my 2014 2ss/rs convertible a few months ago and noticed on the front SS emblem some of the red paint is coming off. I want to replace it with new so it doesn't look half assed. Yes, I'm a little particular with the details LOL

Can someone tell me how to go about replacing that? I know it's got a clip behind it - do I need to remove all of that or is there a way I can get the emblem off of what's holding it and stick a new one on?

Thanks for any guidance you can give.
dale88jrdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:40 PM   #2
1leWorksforMe

Drives: 1le
Floss and a hair dryer.
1leWorksforMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:00 PM   #3
zr1chris

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I need to get one too, for the same reason.

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...882376&alt=web

Looks like you just pinch the sides in but i havent done it yet so i would wait for someone who has done it before chime in.
zr1chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:05 AM   #4
Stewart

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS & Ground effects
Mine took a stone hit and chip it a bit. I re-painted mine. You need a steady hand though. A lot cheaper then buying the whole clip & emblem set up or even just the emblem it self.

MY BUILD LINK: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484260
Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:09 AM   #5
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
use sparks restoration badges myself .....
Old 02-11-2016, 07:17 AM   #6
Gayton81

Drives: 2012 2SSRS
The dental floss trick does the best but take note that there are alignment pins behind it you have to work around. I replaced my buddies and the hardest part was getting the new one to stick even though I cleaned the bracket really good and yes it was warm with very little humidity. A tip is to add a few small drops of good adhesive to the 3M tape side of the new badge before installing. Not a hard task just take your time with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2016, 10:55 AM   #7
dale88jrdew
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayton81 View Post
The dental floss trick does the best but take note that there are alignment pins behind it you have to work around. I replaced my buddies and the hardest part was getting the new one to stick even though I cleaned the bracket really good and yes it was warm with very little humidity. A tip is to add a few small drops of good adhesive to the 3M tape side of the new badge before installing. Not a hard task just take your time with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So the actual badge is stuck on to the clip part - which means no need to take the whole clip out and apart, just use the floss and heat to unstick the old and then restick the new?
Old 02-11-2016, 11:35 AM   #8
2Intense

Drives: 2015 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dale88jrdew View Post
So the actual badge is stuck on to the clip part - which means no need to take the whole clip out and apart, just use the floss and heat to unstick the old and then restick the new?
Yep, but to be honest it's just as easy to un-clip, heat and remove with a piece of fishing line, remove any adhesive residue and clean with alcohol, adhere replacement logo and reinstall clip in grill.

I just prefer to do it all over a bench rather than bent over in front of my car.
2Intense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:02 PM   #9
The Patriot

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS VERT
I have a 2014 and my badges chipped (front and back). The dealership replaced them under warranty.

"Today I didn't even have to use my AK, I got ta' say it was a good day"
The Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 01:32 PM   #10
dale88jrdew
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Intense View Post
Yep, but to be honest it's just as easy to un-clip, heat and remove with a piece of fishing line, remove any adhesive residue and clean with alcohol, adhere replacement logo and reinstall clip in grill.

I just prefer to do it all over a bench rather than bent over in front of my car.
I'd rather remove it by the clip and do it that way too, just didn't know how difficult it was to get to it to remove - don't want to end up breaking anything. Didn't know what all was involved in getting to it inside the grill.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:20 PM   #11
Dimitrim
Dimitri

Drives: 68 GTO 455 Ram Air; 2014 Camaro ZL1
That emblem is a real pay in the butt to remove.
Dimitrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:08 PM   #12
2Intense

Drives: 2015 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dale88jrdew View Post
I'd rather remove it by the clip and do it that way too, just didn't know how difficult it was to get to it to remove - don't want to end up breaking anything. Didn't know what all was involved in getting to it inside the grill.
Just use a small body panel tool and privately slowly from the edges and it pops out. Nothing real difficult involved.
2Intense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:19 PM   #13
splashlog48

Drives: 2011 Green SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
use sparks restoration badges myself .....
Me Too--Expensive But worth every penny !--Changes the whole look of the frontend.
As far as that SS in the grille, I just grabbed it by my hand and Yanked it right out.
splashlog48 is offline   Reply With Quote