Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 09-27-2011, 02:44 PM   #1
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

Drives: 2015 ZL1 6 speed
Send a message via AIM to IDEALG
MAJOR UPDATE!!!! WE FOUND A CURE FOR SECOND GEAR GRIND!!

I own a 2011 Camaro SS2/RS 6 speed . my car came with the upgraded carbon blocker on second gear from the factory. it has 2600 miles on it. Drove it about 200 miles before every really winding it up in first gear. So then i finally did and ground second, and ground second and ground second every time on high rpm . shifts perfect normal driving. im very particular who i let touch my car since i own my own auto repair shop and do all my own work. so taking it to the dealer especially after reading everyone elses dealer experiences on here wasnt an option. i took the trans out and gave it to Rick on the forum here, Rick from rkt56/ T&T performance rebuilt my trans his way with upgraded shift fork bushings and the carbon blockers like hes done for others. i put the trans back into the car with a katech ls9 twin disc clutch kit and a mgw shifter to make sure i eliminate anything else as being the problem. i put 150 -170 miles on it and it still grinds the same way. So I called Rick up and told him what happened. He couldnt believe it bc he hasnt had any trouble with any of his other rebuilds. we discussed a few things to make sure it was definitely the trans that was the issue and i removed the trans and gave it back to him. He took it home called me up a day later and told me his plan of attack. he reuild the trans again differently this time ( im not going to reveal his secret im going to let him decide to tell you if he so choses) i put it in the car drove it around the block a few times to warm up trans and then got on it to around 5000 rpm and shifted into second perfectly. drove the car around that day for awhile and before bringing it home did a few burn outs and donuts gave a few strong pulls in first then shifting into second perfectly with no grind. I really appreciate Rick taking the time to work with me on curing this grinding issue. he really knows his trannys and all the hassle and money spent getting him the trans back and fourth was well worth it in my book. now i can keep my camaro and be happy instead of selling it and being miserable. thanks again Rick!

If your having the same problems get ahold of Rick if your dealer isnt helping you. Goodluck Everyone!
Attached Images

IDEALG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
Bad70supreme

Drives: 2010 aqua blue SS/RS M6
My second gear grind was fixed with Royal P and changing the clutch fluid, I have not had an issue since! Glad to hear you got it fixed though, did you try and change the fluid or anything? It was real pain in the a$$ to try and make pass down the track grinding second!
Old 09-27-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

I didnt want to put different fluid in it in case i had no other option then to take it to the dealer. didnt want to have them say i voided warranty. Rick said it probably wouldnt make much difference and he said just make sure the trans is at full operating temp before trying to shift at high rpm. this tranny has been nothing but problems it wouldnt even let me into second at all in high rpm i couldnt even force it into gear. but now it shifts fine cold and hot and does not grind at all.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
ITGuy11
Burning up tires

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert
So what is the cure?
ITGuy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:50 PM   #5
DietCoke
Slow Turtle

Drives: 2011 1SS
Send a message via AIM to DietCoke
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITGuy11 View Post
So what is the cure?

Attached Images

DietCoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:57 PM   #6
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
So let me get this right... you bought a new car.. it some grinding issues with a few hundred miles on it... instead of taking it to the dealer where you believe... from listening to people on the internet it would not be fixed properly... you spent hundreds to possibly thousands of dollars rebuilding the tranny... twice. Then you say you didnt want to change the fluid bc of warranty You do know you blew your warranty on the first rebuild... RIGHT? Some people obviously have WAY more money than sense.

Then, you don't even tell us the "cure" WTF man? Is the cure a new/rebuilt transmission? Not much a solution there bud, but thanks anyway.

On another note... I have a solution for the ticking lifters on the L99... just drop an LSX454 in... problem solved!
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:05 PM   #7
acowherd

Drives: 2010 2ss/RS 4l80. 2009 2500 HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DietCoke View Post

YEP 4L80

https://www.facebook.com/pages/FNSS-...75028626000379

FNSS Racing!
acowherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:13 PM   #8
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post

On another note... I have a solution for the ticking lifters on the L99... just drop an LSX454 in... problem solved!
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:29 PM   #9
BOULI306

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS black stripes
This sounds like a real weird story! A 2011 Camaro and yet you try to eliminate grinds with a different than stock clutch and shifter?? Warranty is out the door right there!
BOULI306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:17 AM   #10
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

warranty is not out the door , because i have all the stock parts and if i had no other choice but to take it to the dealer which they have no clue what they are doing anyway i would just put all the stock stuff back in. when Rick rebuilt my trans he left all the stock markings on my trans there's no way anyone could tell it was tampered with. having said before im not letting the dealer touch my car because with my luck ill get the car back scratched /dented or who knows what. and all the dealer will do is replace second gear which wont help or replace the entire trans which will be hit or miss. "the fix" is putting a different syncronizer in for second gear, which i said i didnt want to give away details on because its Ricks find and he did the homework to get this thing fixed right, its his decision to give up his find. Ive been in this business way too long to be so foolish to take something to the dealer right away knowing they wont fix it. i know a ton of ppl who work for dealers i hear all their stories and im just not comfortable letting any of those guys touch my car . if the motor blew or the rear blew or something stupid happened then id have no choice to take it back and get it covered under warranty. but this trans issue has been going on and on with camaro , mustang , challenger and some corvettes. its a known issue and i dont see dealers or gm coming up with a solution. i made the right choice for me and Rick solved the problem. just wanted to let you guys know there is a cure. Ricks on vacation he will be back soon and im sure he will comment.

Last edited by IDEALG; 09-28-2011 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:26 AM   #11
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Dude... PUNCTUATION!!!! Then my eyes wouldn't bleed trying to read this!

Do what you want, it's your car but your warranty is toast, sorry. They are not as big of bafoons as you think.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:48 AM   #12
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

Sorry im at work was typing fast. my warranty is not toast. and yes they are bafoons at least where i live they are. i know all the dealers in my area and i know the service managers. i told you im in the business.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:50 AM   #13
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
Your Warranty is GONE!!!
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:01 AM   #14
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

Beleive what you want you guys are crazy. my warranty is fine and so is my car now. doesnt matter anyway because the warranty wouldnt of solved the problem because the dealer doesnt know how to fix the problem and thats the main reason i didnt take it in for warranty.
I made this post to let you guys know there is a fix not to get bashed with a bunch of warranty bs