Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 09-11-2011, 07:26 PM   #1
steeleshark2

Drives: 2010 Transformer 1SS Camaro
Vararam and Nitrous Plate Kit

Has anyone installed a nitrous plate kit while running a Vararam intake? Did you have to trim the intake? How did you get it to fit?
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
steeleshark2

Nobody??
Old 09-13-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
ducatisl
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 2SS 6m
Location: Fort Walton Beach...surrounded by da** pickup trucks I can't see around!
Omg, I was just thinking the same thing. Which plate did you get? Doesn't seem like there's a whole lot of fore-aft clearance for slipping in a plate so am torn between going back to my AEM intake or using a conventional nozzle with the Vararam.
Procharged F1A-94 on a 416 LSA block, Callies/Manley/Scat/Melling/Cloyes/ARP/Ferrea/Landspeed/Hi-Ram/FIC/Tick/Alky/ Strange/QA1/DSS/BMR/RPS/Tilton/GZM/Fore/AEM/ATi/JGS etc., built/tuned by me and Innovative Street Technologies
'Mo's Seemingly Endless Build Thread
ducatisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:33 PM   #4
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
The plate goes between the TB and the intake... it shouldn't get in the way of the Vararam at all.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:47 PM   #5
ducatisl
Emerald Coast Camaros

Location: Fort Walton Beach...surrounded by da** pickup trucks I can't see around!
That's academically correct, but since there's very little clearance in the fore-aft direction, my sense is that you'll bolt the plate in, and then find there's not enough room or give to slip the Vararam tube and coupler back onto the TB.
Procharged F1A-94 on a 416 LSA block, Callies/Manley/Scat/Melling/Cloyes/ARP/Ferrea/Landspeed/Hi-Ram/FIC/Tick/Alky/ Strange/QA1/DSS/BMR/RPS/Tilton/GZM/Fore/AEM/ATi/JGS etc., built/tuned by me and Innovative Street Technologies
Old 09-13-2011, 01:54 PM   #6
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Attached Images

Old 09-13-2011, 02:07 PM   #7
ducatisl
Emerald Coast Camaros

Mlee, the Vararam goes forward and slips just underneath the upper front cross member, and above the radiator, unlike your ADM(?) which goes forward and to the drivers side. In fact, the upper part of the Vararam seals against that cross member, so pushing the Vararam forward is kinda out of the question since you're just pushing it against that cross member. Btw, I like that stealthy look ya got there
Old 09-13-2011, 02:47 PM   #8
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatisl View Post
Mlee, the Vararam goes forward and slips just underneath the upper front cross member, and above the radiator, unlike your ADM(?) which goes forward and to the drivers side. In fact, the upper part of the Vararam seals against that cross member, so pushing the Vararam forward is kinda out of the question since you're just pushing it against that cross member. Btw, I like that stealthy look ya got there
Ahhhh gotcha... I did run a Vararam for a short bit... just didn't think a 1/2" plate would make that much difference, but you're probably right. I'm thinking the hose that fits over the TB would just need to be trimmed back a bit.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:05 PM   #9
ducatisl
Emerald Coast Camaros

Now that I think about it, maybe if that brass fitting that's in the coupler were moved to the intake tube instead, hell, that's about 1/2" right there. Hmmmm...
Old 09-13-2011, 03:27 PM   #10
steeleshark2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatisl View Post
Now that I think about it, maybe if that brass fitting that's in the coupler were moved to the intake tube instead, hell, that's about 1/2" right there. Hmmmm...
True!! The latest version of the Vararam is a very tight fit to get in. It will be impossible unless I trim it. Just wondered if anyone else have done it?
Old 09-14-2011, 12:33 AM   #11
MaxKamai
Mad Ninja Skills

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS M6
Just got both of mine in the mail today (Nitrous Outlet/Vararam Tune). The shop I work at is a dealer for Vararam. Called them before I ordered and they said it would be tight but will work. Will let you know and post some pics when installed. Not using the brass fitting as I will not be using that vacuum line in my setup. Hopefully that will make for a little more clearance.

Last edited by MaxKamai; 09-14-2011 at 12:53 AM.
MaxKamai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:39 PM   #12
steeleshark2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxKamai View Post
Just got both of mine in the mail today (Nitrous Outlet/Vararam Tune). The shop I work at is a dealer for Vararam. Called them before I ordered and they said it would be tight but will work. Will let you know and post some pics when installed. Not using the brass fitting as I will not be using that vacuum line in my setup. Hopefully that will make for a little more clearance.
Great, please let me know how it works!!Throw in some pics if you do not mind.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:55 PM   #13
Nitro Dave

Drives: 2010 RS SS Juiced!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxKamai View Post
Please share pictures. Our plate is 3/4 thick. I believe it will fit just fine though.
Dave
Nitro Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:02 PM   #14
MaxKamai
Mad Ninja Skills

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeleshark2 View Post
Great, please let me know how it works!!Throw in some pics if you do not mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro Dave View Post
Please share pictures. Our plate is 3/4 thick. I believe it will fit just fine though.
Dave
Will post up pics after the weekend, and thanks for the parts. Plate looks great, and the harness makes the tap in for the TPS super clean. I'm sure after people see mine our shops will be doing some business.
Custom stainless 2" primary headers / Custom stainless 3" header back exhaust / Hurst short shifter / ZEX nitrous kit / Vararam intake / Spohn chrome moly trailing arms / Sin City Performance Tune / SCP custom ground cam / SCP ported & polished heads

New Car 2007 Corvette Z06 - Headers / Vararam / Magnaflow Catback / SCP Tune / Nitrous / BTR Stg IV Cam and Springs
MaxKamai is offline   Reply With Quote