Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-13-2015, 10:18 PM   #1
EnzoR

Drives: 2012 1SS6M
Hello/Warranty

Greetings All,

I am back to the Camaro platform after selling my 2010 2SS/RS l99 almost 4 years ago. I was in a Lexus GS during my absence and after a 3000 mile road trip the AC drain got clogged and there was about a gallon of water in the carpets. After fixing that mess and selling the vehicle I knew what I wanted and took my time shopping around. I picked up a 2012 1SS 6m 18k miles and equipped with Borla axleback, Airraid CAI. The vehicle is a beast and I absolutely love it. I could not stand how quite it was even with the borla and immediately ordered LTH and SCT4 witch is already in the car.

Lots of great information on the webpage just wanted to say thank you for those who take their time to post relevant and educational information. I have attached two pictures the first one is my old Camaro and the second the white one with the silly spoiler is my new one.

The title of this post is Hello/Warranty because I have never met anyone who actually used their warranty for anything serious on modern day cars. Has anyone actually taken their car under the warranty for something serious? Say lifters of bad seals or rings? Anything that would cost more than $500 to fix.

Respectfully,
Attached Images

EnzoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:59 PM   #2
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
iv heard of lifters failing but there are no common problems with this car. i tuned mine with 1200 miles on it or something like that. You SCT did you get a custom tune for your headers. the canned tunes that come with it are for stock. you need a custom tune for headers.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:35 AM   #3
EnzoR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
iv heard of lifters failing but there are no common problems with this car. i tuned mine with 1200 miles on it or something like that. You SCT did you get a custom tune for your headers. the canned tunes that come with it are for stock. you need a custom tune for headers.

Exactly same deal here, i never hesitated to mod any of my cars due to warranty concerns. . . But new cars in general not just the Camaro platform are solid during the first five year period. I did not go custom tune on this camaro because the 7416 SCT X4 has the option for long tube headers and to turn off rear O2. The car idles extremely well and pulls the gears strong on 93. I know im leaving some HP on the table but it makes more sense to me to keep the extra money for a bigger mod such as a cam.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:11 PM   #4
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
If warranty is on the mind... I'd leave the stock cam in it. They run pretty dang good with the combo you already have.

The way you are now, can easily put it back to stock with a few afternoons of work. That's the way I like my cars... nothing I can't reverse in a weekend.

For the crazy lumpy cam and constant wrenching I have a 1st gen drag car. I keep my 5th gen as a fun any day driver with great driveabilty. Start camming it and going crazy, and kinda lose some of that smooth driveability. And 100,000 miles worth of warranty.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:27 PM   #5
EnzoR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
If warranty is on the mind... I'd leave the stock cam in it. They run pretty dang good with the combo you already have.

The way you are now, can easily put it back to stock with a few afternoons of work. That's the way I like my cars... nothing I can't reverse in a weekend.

For the crazy lumpy cam and constant wrenching I have a 1st gen drag car. I keep my 5th gen as a fun any day driver with great driveabilty. Start camming it and going crazy, and kinda lose some of that smooth driveability. And 100,000 miles worth of warranty.
That's a fair point, I thought my wife would have some negative comments when i put in the headers (all of the extra noise) she didn't she kept saying lets go faster hehe... But a cam might be hard to daily drive, I will have to do more research on popular options out there.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:51 PM   #6
Mortious
Ammo

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (LS3 M6)
Not with this car (knock on wood) however I did with my previous 2 cars, a Mercedes R class (all 4 airbags went out at various times 1500 a pop, and the cam shaft balancer going out that had I fixed would have cost me upwards of 8 grand) and my Audi (a number of issues from rear wheel bearings going out after 40K to the AC crapping out).

The only thing I have had happen to my Camaro was the pedal sensor going out and causing it to go into limp mode at the most in-opportune times (like pulling out into traffic), but that was a quick 70 dollar fix and not worth the headache of bringing it into the dealer to fix.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:54 PM   #7
EnzoR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortious View Post
Not with this car (knock on wood) however I did with my previous 2 cars, a Mercedes R class (all 4 airbags went out at various times 1500 a pop, and the cam shaft balancer going out that had I fixed would have cost me upwards of 8 grand) and my Audi (a number of issues from rear wheel bearings going out after 40K to the AC crapping out).

The only thing I have had happen to my Camaro was the pedal sensor going out and causing it to go into limp mode at the most in-opportune times (like pulling out into traffic), but that was a quick 70 dollar fix and not worth the headache of bringing it into the dealer to fix.

Woahh that sounds like a nightmare as in airbags popping out with you in the car? Glad to hear about the Camaro, I took my old one on a 5500 mile road trip and it did not disappoint only kept asking for more.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:00 PM   #8
Mortious
Ammo

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (LS3 M6)
It was actually kinda funny, the Mercedes will adjust the ride to try to level out the vehicle, so the ass end would normally squat really far when the bags would go, the service people at the Mercedes dealership didn't appreciate the humor when we told them it needed an ass lift.

And edited to say:

My Camaro has 66K on it right now, it has been on a trip to Virginia (from Austin Texas) a trip to Missouri, and 3 trips to Huntsville Alabama, including one "turn and burn" where I dropped someone off and headed right back. I love the Camaro on road trips, set the cruise and relax.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:33 PM   #9
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
If you let warranty prevent you from modding your Camaro, the ISIS has already won.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:34 PM   #10
Bizaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Redhot 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSuperfly View Post
If you let warranty prevent you from modding your Camaro, the ISIS has already won.
if by ISIS you mean Ford then yessssss.
Bizaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 02:46 PM   #11
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
did not know the SCT4 came with those options.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 02:47 PM   #12
thunderkyss

Drives: 2015 Red Hot SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSuperfly View Post
C'mon....

It's a good excuse for us cheap bastids. At least it was.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:06 PM   #13
kbrown504

Drives: Red/GunMetal 14LT
nothing to say on the topic but nice spoiler man!
kbrown504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 03:40 PM   #14
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
The lifter failures have mostly been on L99/Automatic cars, the only major issue I know of with the LS3 is a few have had oil pressure relief valves stick causing no oil pressure. I don't think this is a very common problem though, and not a terrible issue as long as you shut the motor off. It does involve some work to replace the oil pump though.

Other than that, mine is over 6 years old now and over 50k miles, no issues, my brother has well over 70k on his 2010 and not a single issue either.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote