Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-10-2008, 02:39 PM   #1
Mblock66

Drives: 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
2009 LS3 Vette vs Top Dog Z28?

I have been following this site for a while as well as being a corvetteforum member for a while. I have always had a love affair with the C6 and now with the LS3 I am lovin it more.

I recently got engaged and will be married at 31 next year on July 3rd. She is aware of my love for the vette but also doesn't approved of it being 45k when we could use that $ in the initial years of the marriage. We both do pretty well and I already have a house to bring the marriage and plenty of cash.

So I am very close to buying a really nice toy and I can't decide if the top dog Z28 will outperform the standard C6 coupe. I had a 30th anniversary Z28 in 1997 and loved that thing. I love the new model too and assuming the top dog and the C6 will be close in price I am torn.

C6 = 436 HP at about 3200 lbs 0-60 in 4.1 12.2 in the qtr
Z28 ~ 550 HP at about 3800 lbs 0-60? qtr mile ? my guess is 4.3 12.3

C6 power to weight would be about .136
Z28 power to weight would be about .144 IF it can stay at 3800 lbs

I think it would be a very close match straight line but the vette would still take in on the track and in the twisties.

What are your thoughts? I love em both argh
Mblock66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:59 PM   #2
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Eh, I don't think it will, even with your speculations (of course mine are similar to yours .) I think in a straight line, it would have a chance, but not in the twisties. The 'Vette is likely to be so much lighter and the chassis is still better than the Zeta.

I think Camaro is better for more reasons. IT'S A CAMARO is the first reason among many others. As much as I love seeing the 'Vette kinda' go retro' with it's style and think Chevy has done even better with what I've seen of Camaro. To think there could be more suprises than what has been leaked is even more encouraging for me.

As far as a $45K Camaro Z28 vs. C6 at the same price - that could be a tough one. For me, I think my personality better matches that of Camaro, so even it Camaro was a little more expensive, I'd still go with it. It has four seats, probably a larger trunk, and just more in your face, I think.

JMHO.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:02 PM   #3
MAC
Iroc-Z <3'r

Drives: '87 5.7L Iroc-Z
well, correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe official information such as this:
"Z28 ~ 550 HP at about 3800 lbs" doesn't yet exist, so we'll have to see how much actual HP the top dog camaro gets..as for it being a "Z/28" - yet again, unofficial information.

But lets go ahead and assume, say, 500 HP , since that's been in speculation here & there. Would you favor it instead of the vette still?
I believe it all comes down to personal preference!, but it sounds as if you favor the vette.

"Camaro Z/28 is back. Gentlemen, Don't even bother to start your engines."
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:12 PM   #4
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
well, correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe official information such as this:
"Z28 ~ 550 HP at about 3800 lbs" doesn't yet exist, so we'll have to see how much actual HP the top dog camaro gets..as for it being a "Z/28" - yet again, unofficial information.

But lets go ahead and assume, say, 500 HP , since that's been in speculation here & there. Would you favor it instead of the vette still?
I believe it all comes down to personal preference!, but it sounds as if you favor the vette.
I agree. To me, if one has to ask which car in this case, it's probably a choice for the 'Vette. But hey. To each his own

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 07-10-2008, 03:15 PM   #5
Cessna510
Gm loyalist

Drives: 04 z71 tahoe\99 SS m6
A vette is the ONLY thing thats parked in my "mental garage" with the camaro, I hope they can get it in under 3800 pounds though....I like the styling of the camaro and will be happy with the ls3 base, but when it come to performance maro vs the vette from the factory the vette will usually come out on top..
Old 07-10-2008, 03:39 PM   #6
Congoman775

Drives: Muscle
go with the Camaro.

The top of the line camaro is going to have more toys on it than a bottom line Vette. The Vette will still be a little bit faster, but the Camaro will have better Gadgets and be just as cool. plus a back seat for the kids. =)
Congoman775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 04:02 PM   #7
Camaro68

Drives: 68 Camaro 327ci 2SS/RS 376ci LS3
Thumbs up ok

That would be a gooood race, on the track.
I would pay to see it.
Camaro68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:08 PM   #8
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
I'd say that comes down to driver more then car. . .

my camaro with 300 something hp and that in tq almost took a GT500 because the owner of the GT500 couldn't drive it worth anything. but by the end of the day he was putting down 12.00's and I was putting down 12.5.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:27 PM   #9
radz28
Petro-sexual

He was doing pretty good then at bottom 12s, assuming it was stock. Shoot, I remember watching guys run 13s in C5 Z06s in my area.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 07-10-2008, 05:34 PM   #10
Congoman775

Drives: Muscle
those guys should have taken driving classes before being able to buy that car.
Congoman775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:27 PM   #11
gunslinger

Drives: 1998 Z28 M6
Quite simply the Vette will be the winner in most performance catagories.

600-700 Lbs is a LOT of weight difference. The Vette will stop better, corner better, accelerate better and get better MPG, but it still won't be a Camaro.

The Camaro has always been the "Poor man's Corvette", but it has also always stood for value and performance. I think the 5th Gen (permitting oil prices) will be the best bang-for-buck car available in 2009!

A Vette would be nice, but the Camaro is a must have!
gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:36 AM   #12
Mblock66

Drives: 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
I totally appreciate your responses. See here is the thing. I am a car nut by heart. PERIOD.

I have owed a 1997 special additoin Z28 already but sold it when I could no longer stand it in the NJ winters as an only car (couldn't afford 2). Have I regretted it ..... almost everyday since. I love the camaro and have had more personal history with it then the corvette line.

With that said my Father owned a 1991 L98 and then 1994 vert Lt1 corvette. I drove those both bought new and fell in love BEFORE I ever even got my camaro. I have since owned a 1968 GTO covert with a 400 ci as well. So I am a true muscle guy.

I sold the GTO for $ back in 2002 and have regretted that too since it would now be worth over 30k and I now have the money to treat it right....

Anyway I digress....

I love the look of the new camaro on the web. I never got to the auto show so I have not seen even the prototype in person. If when it comes out it looks anything like the pictures are showing I know I will love it.

If I can settle for the SS version then it would also save me a bundle over a vette but it just wouldn't be the performance machine of a vette. I just got to drive in a 2008 LS3 6 speed vette and it is INSANE!

I know you could aftermarket anything and get it to vette potential but after my current subaru legacy GT and working it to over 320 hp at the wheels it makes me realize that it still isn't in the same league. I just hope that the camaro actually performs!

The new colbalt SS is good hope though. 260 HP 5.7 0-60 14 flat qtr mile for 22k. Also holds .90 g's.

I guess only time will tell but I am going to have to wait a while for the Z28 to come out or maybe see how the new CTSV does and use those figures to compare....

Right now they are giving vettes away for invoice and I can see the camaros getting MSRP. I will never pay MSRP for a car, it is against my religion lol so hopefully the initial push will happen and they will flood the streets, after that it should come down. I also have GM supplier from my company if a dealer would even take it....
Mblock66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:26 AM   #13
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Performance wise it should be pretty close. The Corvette would make for a better daily driver due to the mileage, but the Camaro will be more useful as a family car. If its only a weekend toy, go for what you think looks better. But as far getting a top dog Camaro for MSRP, it might be possible. For less? I doubt it.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote