Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-09-2016, 09:13 AM   #1
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Which performance mods will not void warrantee??

Reading through a previous thread I saw where it was mentioned that something as basic as an oil catch can may cause a void...I did some mods on the Hemi knowing I could have problems, but currently see no reason to touch the ZL1 other than those which are warrantee safe.

Any thoughts on what you guys plan to do for what I would consider the most basic??

Apologies if this has been covered...I did not see it.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:20 AM   #2
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
The Motto for this ZL1 is "Mind over Muscle".

thoughts?
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2016, 09:21 AM   #3
Ricardo@Phastek

Drives: the boss nuts....
Send a message via AIM to Ricardo@Phastek Send a message via Yahoo to Ricardo@Phastek
Typically what you will see is that it is up to the dealer or service manager to make claim if the warranty is void with the mods. Some dealers or service managers are a bit harder then others and some say as long as a rod is not hanging out of the block no big deal with the simple mods.

The way warranty should work is that if the part installed caused the issue then the warranty can be voided. BUT if the part installed did not cause the issue then the warranty should still be in full effect and covered.

I suggest to check with your servicing dealer to see what they would allow or let you get away with. Hope this helps ya!!
Ricardo@Phastek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:46 AM   #4
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
+1, but service manager change over time to, so keep that in mind.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:03 AM   #5
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo@Phastek View Post
Typically what you will see is that it is up to the dealer or service manager to make claim if the warranty is void with the mods. Some dealers or service managers are a bit harder then others and some say as long as a rod is not hanging out of the block no big deal with the simple mods.

The way warranty should work is that if the part installed caused the issue then the warranty can be voided. BUT if the part installed did not cause the issue then the warranty should still be in full effect and covered.

I suggest to check with your servicing dealer to see what they would allow or let you get away with. Hope this helps ya!!
There are what might be cosiderred automatic warranty violations, usually if it involves a tune your warranty is gone.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:12 AM   #6
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
Service Manager discretion. I have modded every new Camaro I have owned BUT I also know the service manager very well at a dealership in my area (we went to high school together). I will say this however, IF GM questions a failed part, they can send a regional rep into the dealership to validate the warranty request. IF the regional rep see's anything out of the norm....all bet's are off and you may very well be own your own. This happen to a buddy of mine with his Mustang....it was not pretty.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 04:05 PM   #7
rcandiloro

Drives: 2018 ZLE
There is no 100% answer to this, but it's interesting to me that companies will sometimes tell you their products will not void a warranty. For my 5th Gen ZL1, Cold Air Inductions was adamant that their cold air intakes absolutely will not void the warranty, however, Al O mentioned casually that they can tell when folks mod their cars, and included a Cold Air Intake in his comments. I agree with the above comments, it's probably going to be dealer specific. I think that when you tune a car that's universally accepted as voiding the warranty. If you mod it you always take a chance, but hey, each of us has to weigh the cost/benefit of that in our own mind and make a decision. It's your car, do what you want. One final thing......nobody here has any liability with your car. I know you know that, but I've seen posts where folks want someone to definitively tell them that mod X will not void the warranty. You take a chance whenever you listen to someone else.
rcandiloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 04:11 PM   #8
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
It doesn't really matter what the truth is as to whether it's something you can put on your car, and still have warranty, there is no absolute truth because it all the call of each particular dealer service dept. . Sure, you can go ahead and start screaming, prove through going through lawyers and calling, that you are in the right, Magnuson Moss etc. etc. etc.but when he wants to say no , he's gonna make it harder and stupid legal $ for you than it's worth. Therefore take a list of the things you want to do into your service Manager and ask them if it's OK or not. And regional reps are the same way, I was a rep for BMW, and I would allow things in my territory that I know they wouldn't allow in other territories, it is not cut and dry .

And they don't always absolutely say no. My local Chevy dealer has no problem with most of the add-ons that I ever would want to do , except when it comes the hard parts on the engine, engine Tunes etc.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 04:20 PM   #9
Boilermaker128

Drives: 2010 CobaltSSTC
And the lines blurr more since we are in the era of factory tunes not being suitable for added bolt ons, without a re-tune. So you can't really blame a dealership for not wanting you to go catless or less cats with an air intake/intake manifold etc.

I'm all for warranty approved stage kits but that seems to happen less and less or takes years after the cars release.
Boilermaker128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 04:43 PM   #10
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
The best advice I could i could from being around this for a long time, is that if you are concerned with warranty issues and having to pay out of your own pocket then don't mod your car at all unless you are in tight with a dealer that has your back.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:46 PM   #11
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Excellent 411...thank you fellas.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:30 PM   #12
flatrockguy

Drives: 2015 Black ZL1 m6, gone 2012 CTS-V
Any modification to the ECM creates a permanent thumbprint that can be seen by GM. If you have a major failure the dealer has no choice in whether or not they void it for mods. ANY engine or transmission failure for example requires the dealer to send the entire download from the ECM before GM with cover the work. This is done prior to the repairs. The only way the dealer would replace or repair would be on their tab. I see procedure updates all the time from GM on how to detect mods and the required procedures to have the repairs covers or not covered.

Like said before, if you mod your car, be sure you can afford to pay for repairs.
2012-CTS-V, Black 6spd Gone
flatrockguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:25 PM   #13
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Assume that any performance mod voids the warranty. Be happy if it doesn't, and don't complain if it does.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:07 PM   #14
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Assume that any performance mod voids the warranty. Be happy if it doesn't, and don't complain if it does.
Perfectly said.
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote