Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 03-03-2018, 04:44 PM   #1
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
For those that say the ZL1 1LE rides rough

I was really concerned based on all the noise on here that stated the ZL1 1LE rides rough. Most people (not all) say if you are buying to drive on the streets and not just a track car get the regular zl1. Well since the car I ordered came in damaged and is going back to gm (gm rep looked at the car and estimated 11k in damage) I asked the dealer if I could take the car for a short ride to make sure I would be ok with the ride and if I had to I could change my order to a regular zl1. So today I took a ride in it. Now I have been out of work all week except for Friday due to throwing my back out and went to the chiropractor 3 times this week. Add that to the fact that we have had an early stretch of warmer weather in NH and there are a lot of frost heaves in NH. I also found a stretch of road with a railroad crossing on it near the dealer. I drove the same route with the vehicle I drove to the dealer (bmw x5 with the M sport package) to get a reference. The zl1 1le is slightly stiffer but did not bother my back at all. My 2017 2500hd 4x4 duramax is way worse then the zl1 1le. Just goes to show what one person thinks is rough is way different then what someone else thinks is rough. So to anyone that is on the fence on if they should buy a zl1 1le or not and is afraid to pull the trigger because of all the noise that says it rides rough do your self a favor before you just buy a standard zl1 to be on the safe side and either find someone that will take you for a ride in one or find a dealer that will let you test drive one. Once I have mine I will be more than glad to take anyone for a ride. It doesn't ride like a plush riding caddy but it rides a lot better than my daily driver.
I had told my wife that she was probably not going to like riding in it and she said "so this is supposed to bad?" she had no issue with the ride either and I am not changing my order. Very happy I took one for a ride as now I know what it rides like to me not what someone else thinks and thats my point don't base your decision on a big purchase like this on what people say including me lol
Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 04:59 PM   #2
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
This car rides super smooth to me. I did come from a Z/28 though.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:35 PM   #3
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
The people that say that just don't want anyone else buying one

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:12 PM   #4
1roadking

Drives: 2017 ZL1 silver A10
Where in NH are you? What dealer are you working with?
1roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:42 PM   #5
Koldunic

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Really happy to learn about your experience. Thank you for sharing!
Koldunic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:34 PM   #6
dgreenberg

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 #352, ‘16 ACR,
Quote:
Originally Posted by closs2sx View Post
I was really concerned based on all the noise on here that stated the ZL1 1LE rides rough. Most people (not all) say if you are buying to drive on the streets and not just a track car get the regular zl1. Well since the car I ordered came in damaged and is going back to gm (gm rep looked at the car and estimated 11k in damage) I asked the dealer if I could take the car for a short ride to make sure I would be ok with the ride and if I had to I could change my order to a regular zl1. So today I took a ride in it. Now I have been out of work all week except for Friday due to throwing my back out and went to the chiropractor 3 times this week. Add that to the fact that we have had an early stretch of warmer weather in NH and there are a lot of frost heaves in NH. I also found a stretch of road with a railroad crossing on it near the dealer. I drove the same route with the vehicle I drove to the dealer (bmw x5 with the M sport package) to get a reference. The zl1 1le is slightly stiffer but did not bother my back at all. My 2017 2500hd 4x4 duramax is way worse then the zl1 1le. Just goes to show what one person thinks is rough is way different then what someone else thinks is rough. So to anyone that is on the fence on if they should buy a zl1 1le or not and is afraid to pull the trigger because of all the noise that says it rides rough do your self a favor before you just buy a standard zl1 to be on the safe side and either find someone that will take you for a ride in one or find a dealer that will let you test drive one. Once I have mine I will be more than glad to take anyone for a ride. It doesn't ride like a plush riding caddy but it rides a lot better than my daily driver.
I had told my wife that she was probably not going to like riding in it and she said "so this is supposed to bad?" she had no issue with the ride either and I am not changing my order. Very happy I took one for a ride as now I know what it rides like to me not what someone else thinks and thats my point don't base your decision on a big purchase like this on what people say including me lol

What happened to your car? Issue in transit I assume??

My ZL1 1LE just showed up to the dealership. I already bought it, paper work signed, money wired, etc. I have not seen the car and won’t be driving out to trailer it home for a couple of weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dgreenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:37 PM   #7
Bow Tie Affair

Drives: 6th. Gen ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
This car rides super smooth to me. I did come from a Z/28 though.
How does the ride compare to the Z28?

Last edited by Bow Tie Affair; 03-03-2018 at 08:23 PM.
Bow Tie Affair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:48 PM   #8
closs2sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1roadking View Post
Where in NH are you? What dealer are you working with?
I live in BELMONT Nh the dealer is Berlin city Chevrolet and they have been great to work with
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
6 Spd Manual
Old 03-03-2018, 07:56 PM   #9
closs2sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgreenberg View Post
What happened to your car? Issue in transit I assume??

My ZL1 1LE just showed up to the dealership. I already bought it, paper work signed, money wired, etc. I have not seen the car and won’t be driving out to trailer it home for a couple of weeks.

I believe it’s possible it was damaged by a sander sanding the parking lot during the 4 snow and ice storms it went through during the 3 weeks it sat at the plant. It’s also possible it was damaged during shipping. There were stone chips all over the nose and down both sides of the car.
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
6 Spd Manual
Old 03-03-2018, 07:59 PM   #10
dgreenberg

Quote:
I believe it’s possible it was damaged by a sander sanding the parking lot during the 4 snow and ice storms it went through during the 3 weeks it sat at the plant. It’s also possible it was damaged during shipping. There were stone chips all over the nose and down both sides of the car.

What was the approximate date range ? My car was built on the 12th of February and sat on the lot until the 27th. It arrived to the dealership just outside of Houston, TX on the 2nd of March.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:09 PM   #11
closs2sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgreenberg View Post
What was the approximate date range ? My car was built on the 12th of February and sat on the lot until the 27th. It arrived to the dealership just outside of Houston, TX on the 2nd of March.

Mine was built 1/25 and sat there until 2/18
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
6 Spd Manual
Old 03-03-2018, 08:25 PM   #12
dgreenberg

Quote:
Mine was built 1/25 and sat there until 2/18

I will be looking closely at mine before I finalize delivery... I hope nothing is wrong with the paint...

Old 03-03-2018, 08:27 PM   #13
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow Tie Affair View Post
How does the ride compare to the Z28?
I have to say slightly better than the Z/28. Streetable all day long.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:16 PM   #14
dchesrown

Drives: ZL1-1LE
You should drive both. My brother has ZL1 with magnetic ride I have the 1LE came from 17 CTS V. It is not a daily driver in my opinion, beats the hell out of me. I will use it for what it is built for a track toy. Daily driver the regular ZL1 is superior.
dchesrown is offline   Reply With Quote