Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-04-2018, 06:30 AM   #1
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
Using Mr Clean Magic Eraser .... ON INTERIOR GLASS

I am trying to quit smoking and since I spend a lot of time driving my Camaro, I needed to get the smell out AND clean the interior glass of all the smoke residue and oils and other gunk. I've tried multiple glass cleaners and all of them had the same effect - kind of clean, but really smeary.

On the Auto Geek Detailing Forum, I asked the question about how to remove the smoking crud from my interior glass. Several people mentioned the Magic Eraser, so I gave it a try.

I used a Magic Eraser (since the wife had one on hand), Invisible Glass (I think ANY quality glass cleaner will work) and a 3-towel process I cleaned the glass in my car within an inch of its life.

I did all the windows, even the ones I'd already cleaned, by doing the following:

Spray the Magic Eraser with lots of Invisible Glass, and used it liberally on the glass.

1) Scrub the glass with the eraser - at first I got a lot of suds - it was a used one and I don't know if it was the soap that is already in the eraser or if my wife had added something.

2) Wipe down the wet (dripping) glass with a clean microfiber (long nap side out) and absorb most of the liquid. (wet towel is OK)

3) Take a clean terry towel and wipe off the damp soap film from the glass, (towel getting SLIGHTLY damp is OK)

4) Buff the glass with a 2nd microfiber cloth (short nap side out) until it was completely streak-free. Towel MUST be dry and clean ... change towel if it gets dirty or damp.

I tried to take a 50/50 picture, but the camera in my phone and the sunlight weren't cooperating. All I can say is when I look out the living room window at my car, it looks like the door windows are rolled down, everything came out awesome. Sitting in the car looking out it almost seems like there is no glass in the windows at all.

Since then, I went to the store and bought a 4-pack specifically for automotive glass cleaning.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:32 AM   #2
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
I use them with detail spray to get the road gunk off the rockers... they are magic!
2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP custom grind cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by F.ED., Nick William's 102mm T.B., CORN fed, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 08:49 AM   #3
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
congrats on quittin...DO NOT GIVE UP!..
Old 03-04-2018, 09:35 AM   #4
Sheriff Justice
If your not 1st your last

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS / RS
I first tried this in the summer, works perfect (seen a YouTube video posted from C5).

* * Important * * use the ORIGINAL magic eraser only, no soaps or cleaners added (see pic). I damp the eraser with a splash of spring water (no glass cleaner or chemicals). Wipe the window with the eraser to remove oils & film. Wipe with a clean glass microfiber. Now wipe again with another clean glass microfiber towel and favorite glass cleaner product. Crystal clear glass!
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2018, 02:32 PM   #5
radar1972

Drives: 2012 IOM SS/RS
I just use a wet Dobie pad (teflon) with 1 drop of dishwashing liquid to clean and then follow up with damp sponge then dry towel. Been using that on all my vehicles for years.
radar1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 02:48 PM   #6
Bow Tie Affair

Drives: 6th. Gen ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM View Post
I am trying to quit smoking and since I spend a lot of time driving my Camaro, I needed to get the smell out AND clean the interior glass of all the smoke residue and oils and other gunk. I've tried multiple glass cleaners and all of them had the same effect - kind of clean, but really smeary.

On the Auto Geek Detailing Forum, I asked the question about how to remove the smoking crud from my interior glass. Several people mentioned the Magic Eraser, so I gave it a try.

I used a Magic Eraser (since the wife had one on hand), Invisible Glass (I think ANY quality glass cleaner will work) and a 3-towel process I cleaned the glass in my car within an inch of its life.

I did all the windows, even the ones I'd already cleaned, by doing the following:

Spray the Magic Eraser with lots of Invisible Glass, and used it liberally on the glass.

1) Scrub the glass with the eraser - at first I got a lot of suds - it was a used one and I don't know if it was the soap that is already in the eraser or if my wife had added something.

2) Wipe down the wet (dripping) glass with a clean microfiber (long nap side out) and absorb most of the liquid. (wet towel is OK)

3) Take a clean terry towel and wipe off the damp soap film from the glass, (towel getting SLIGHTLY damp is OK)

4) Buff the glass with a 2nd microfiber cloth (short nap side out) until it was completely streak-free. Towel MUST be dry and clean ... change towel if it gets dirty or damp.

I tried to take a 50/50 picture, but the camera in my phone and the sunlight weren't cooperating. All I can say is when I look out the living room window at my car, it looks like the door windows are rolled down, everything came out awesome. Sitting in the car looking out it almost seems like there is no glass in the windows at all.

Since then, I went to the store and bought a 4-pack specifically for automotive glass cleaning.

Just imagine what the inside of you looks like? Please do not give up!
Bow Tie Affair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 02:49 PM   #7
Bretts
SS

Drives: 2015 2ss rs
wonder if it would work for bug juice in the 3m film?
CCW sp16a track set, BTR stage 3 cam and kooks longtubes with high flow catsLocks@7.5 degrees castor and radius arm inserts, Ride Tech 2coilovers JDP upper control arm bushings BMR lower knuckle bushing Bo White throttle body3.91 gears Spohn del-sphere toe link and trailing arms Prothane subframe bushings
Bretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:32 PM   #8
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
The magic eraser will work fine Don.

If you happen not to have a Magic Eraser on hand, an old detailing trick for removing smoke film off glass is to use a little distilled white vinegar mixed with some water, wipe it on the glass, (make sure the glass is cool and in the shade), then remove it with newspaper.

The vinegar is lightly acidic and will loosen the stuck on film, and the ink in the newspaper will pull all the smoke film off.

Chris Fix has a good You Tube video for the using the Magic Eraser on interior glass.

Also another one for the exterior glass.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote