Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 01-20-2010, 01:12 PM   #43
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertway View Post
Mike,

Could you speak to when problems will arise with 315s in the rear. I too am running 315/35/20's in the rear and have no clearance issues. I will be lowering in a couple of weeks hopefully and only look to maintain stock alignment settings. I have plenty of clearance in the inside of the rears now so I am assuming the clearance issues come in when one starts to get a little more aggressive with camber in the rear beyond what it comes with from the factory. I know you guys run 305/30/19's on your Pedderized Red Car so again the assumption on my part is that the 10mms of reduced width, reduced sidewall height, and overall reduced wheel diameter allows for more clearance and a more aggressive alignment in the rear. Speaking for myself, in the beginning I'll only be tracking the car every so often on a road course and looking to get it out on a large oval, in both cases for fun and not really lap times. Eventually if I got serious enough I would be looking at running 18's or 19's and put myself in a position to run more aggressive alignment settings.

So when you say you had problems getting the 315s setup on the Hennessey car, were you just trying to get it into stock alignment or something more aggressive, if more aggressive, at what camber did the setup start to rub (camber and drop).

Thanks in advance...

I know the 315s with the correct offsets will fit on the Camaro. And to be honest, they look pretty cool. We have performed testings on properly fitted wheels and tires and checked a set of matching 275s on all for corners, and then 315s in the rear with 275s in the front. Nothing else changed. The understeer increased with the 315s. Not knowing what your offsets are, or in fact what the correct offsets for 315s need to be, when you lower the rear end, negative camber will increase, thus causing the upper inner tire to get closer to the inside of the rear quarters. I took a lot of heat on the Hennessey car initially because of the poor review, until all the data was analyzed to find out why we had to set it up poorly for handling to put the tires at a minimum rub!

Now one thing that I have been preaching, if you are doing only a drop kit only, to maximize on what the alignment can do for you and not just get it into specs, you need to be in the -.5 degree range. This will reduce understeer, and raise the bar up. Now this is a maximum efficiency thing. I have heard of a lot of tire rub issues and not all wheel offsets being sold out there are correct.

So if you drop your Camaro, with 315s I would at least get the Pedders rear align kit, so you can get the rear cambers to -.5. You will not be able to get there without them. Also, we are seeing tolerance variations that will give some Camaros more inner clearance than others. This is a normal thing with cars.

mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:36 PM   #44
robertway

Drives: 2012 Challenger SRT8 Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by dms View Post
I know the 315s with the correct offsets will fit on the Camaro. And to be honest, they look pretty cool. We have performed testings on properly fitted wheels and tires and checked a set of matching 275s on all for corners, and then 315s in the rear with 275s in the front. Nothing else changed. The understeer increased with the 315s. Not knowing what your offsets are, or in fact what the correct offsets for 315s need to be, when you lower the rear end, negative camber will increase, thus causing the upper inner tire to get closer to the inside of the rear quarters. I took a lot of heat on the Hennessey car initially because of the poor review, until all the data was analyzed to find out why we had to set it up poorly for handling to put the tires at a minimum rub!

Now one thing that I have been preaching, if you are doing only a drop kit only, to maximize on what the alignment can do for you and not just get it into specs, you need to be in the -.5 degree range. This will reduce understeer, and raise the bar up. Now this is a maximum efficiency thing. I have heard of a lot of tire rub issues and not all wheel offsets being sold out there are correct.

So if you drop your Camaro, with 315s I would at least get the Pedders rear align kit, so you can get the rear cambers to -.5. You will not be able to get there without them. Also, we are seeing tolerance variations that will give some Camaros more inner clearance than others. This is a normal thing with cars.

mike
dms
Thanks for elaborating on that Mike. Based on that explanation it seems that if I am dropping the car 1.25" to 1.5" I should be able to get the alignment back into stock specs but if I want to do anything beyond that I would look to get a rear alignment kit, let me know if I am understanding things correctly.

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

LS3 Camshaft Swap Do-It-Yourself Instructions - 2010 LS3 gone but not forgotten!!!
robertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:24 PM   #45
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Mike do you have the wheel size and offsets for 315's on 20's for all for corners?

or is that not possible?
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:37 PM   #46
sting808

Drives: 2010 SS RS
robertway,
I am expecting my CCW SP16a with 275/315 on Monday. Waiting for the swaybarB to arrive for my XA Street II+ package(includes allignment bolts). I got some initial allignment settings from Mike and hopefully will have the car setup end of Jan or early Feb.

The CCW 20x11.5 offsets are suppose to be the same for all their rim models for the 2010. I'm looking at a similar drop range of 1"-1.5" Probably a little less due to driveway and speedbump issues.

I'll update after everything gets installed. If I was a little more patient, a lot of other reasonable options are becoming available. Regardless, I don't think any reputable manufacturer wants to put out crap parts.
sting808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:25 PM   #47
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
Mike do you have the wheel size and offsets for 315's on 20's for all for corners?

or is that not possible?
I know that rear offsets do not work at the 49.5 range that was on the initial HRE wheels. I am not 100% sure what the correct offsets. We have worked very closesly with forgeline Wheels, and I mean very closely. They are protecting their offsets and will not tell anyone including myself.

This has not been verified, but I heard that a 11 inch with a 39.3 offset may work. Again, I cannot verify this.

mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:01 AM   #48
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Dave Schardt at Forgeline did all the work to not only fit the wheel and tire package, but also to square up the wheelbase. Forgeline asked that we refer questions about wheel offset to them. I respect the work they do and respect their request. Your local Pedders Dealer or Dave will be able to provide Forgeline wheels for you. If you would like to contact Forgeline directly for additional information --

David Schardt
Forgeline Motorsports, LLC
3522 S. Kettering Blvd. Ste. A
Dayton, Ohio 45439
P: 937-299-0298 x305
F: 937-293-3935
dschardt@forgeline.com
www.forgeline.com
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:05 AM   #49
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Thanks Guys for the info.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:11 PM   #50
Speed74SS

Drives: 2010 LPE 650+ CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Dave Schardt at Forgeline did all the work to not only fit the wheel and tire package, but also to square up the wheelbase. Forgeline asked that we refer questions about wheel offset to them. I respect the work they do and respect their request. Your local Pedders Dealer or Dave will be able to provide Forgeline wheels for you. If you would like to contact Forgeline directly for additional information --

David Schardt
Forgeline Motorsports, LLC
3522 S. Kettering Blvd. Ste. A
Dayton, Ohio 45439
P: 937-299-0298 x305
F: 937-293-3935
dschardt@forgeline.com
www.forgeline.com

The Forgeline wheels that I put on my car fit perfect. 20x10 with the same offset all around. I'm very happy with the Pedders Coilovers and Forgelines.

2.55 Upper / 8.6 Lower / ID850's / Kooks Longtubes / New Era CAI
Speed74SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:37 AM   #51
Erik@Torq

Drives: '10 SS + '04 Z16 Z06 S/C
Send a message via MSN to Erik@Torq
Another vote for Pfadt!

The main reason for me recommending Pfadt is not solely because they are our supplier for the highest quality Vette and Camaro parts on the market, or the fact that their service and knowledge are second to none. It's because I have used Pfadt Racing parts on my 04 Z06 long before I even started selling and installing them and the quality and handling characteristics are absolutely amazing. The parts (and my driving of course lol) insured me several wins in various classes both on The Nurburgring in Germany, as well as several other tracks in Europe. To be able to easily set the car up for different tracks is a huge benefit!

Scroll forward to my daily driver, a 2010 Camaro SS with just springs and sways (for now) and the car is as compliant on the street, as it is nimble and well balanced on the track. A perfect medium for an all-round car that see's everything from the road-course, to the 1/4 mile, to 7600 miles of daily driving miles in just 2 months.

You can't go wrong with Pfadt parts in my opinion, whether it's a full blown race car or a daliy driver.

/Erik@Torq
Erik@Torq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:28 PM   #52
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
I have the Pedders extreme street package and I couldn't be happier with the results. Mike Haddad of Haddad Motorsports in Los Angeles did the install and setup and did a fantastic job. The sponginess of the suspension is gone in every way; acceleration, cornering and ride. The car feels crisp, precise and handling is very predictable and solid. You especially notice it when on rough or uneven surfaces; the car tracks beautifully without any drama. Ride isn't harsh either. Well worth the upgrade.

I highly recommend the Pedders setup and if you're in L.A. go to Haddad's... he'll do it and set it up right.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:47 PM   #53
evolution auto

Drives: 2010 ss
I have Pfadt's on my 08 z06 and have had alot of problems.Now they have an up upgrade to fix the problem thats not free($200.00).So i dont want to go through the same problems on the Camaro.
evolution auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:59 PM   #54
robertway

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolution auto View Post
I have Pfadt's on my 08 z06 and have had alot of problems.Now they have an up upgrade to fix the problem thats not free($200.00).So i dont want to go through the same problems on the Camaro.
If you don't mind, could you elaborate on what your issues are and what the $200 upgrade is?

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

LS3 Camshaft Swap Do-It-Yourself Instructions - 2010 LS3 gone but not forgotten!!!
Old 01-29-2010, 06:55 PM   #55
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
I spoke with Pfadt and placed a sway order yesterday...I had a FRC c5 for a while...so I'm very familiar with how good of a product they make.

I have a comment...Forgeline 'protecting' offsets is flat out idiotic. I wouldn't buy something without knowing the specs. I've bought custom wheels for too many cars to chance someone behind a desk that I don't know. Sorry.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:36 AM   #56
robertway

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron123 View Post
I have INVESTED TIME and have my own opinion. I asked for opinions and experiences of others, which I THOUGHT was a big part of this site "Sharing experiences and opinions".
Cameron, first of all this is not an attack of your post, rather it is an attempt to understand what point you are trying to make and how it relates to the thread. I think a lot of folks have done the community a good service of offering up their opinions and the reasons they made their decision to go with either Pfadt or Pedders and even Aaron (Pfadt) and Mike (dms Pedders) have made their case in a very professional manner.

You didn't quote a particular post in the thread and is written as though it may be directed at one. Again, not attacking you but just trying to understand the point you're making.

Thanks in advance...