Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 03-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
thasleeper

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS\ CYBER GREY
Installed Hurst Short Throw-Now need help!!!

My Hurst Shifter Review
I feel your pain Nassel. I installed my Hurst short throw and it was more difficult then I thought. I have recommendations and also have a problem. I would like to say that undercarraige where the shifter sits under the car is very difficult to get to. If it was'nt from the exhaust pipes, axle and heating shield it would not be difficult.:(
So first recommendations, When removing the clips on the shifter, I used needle nose pliers. It works great. That way there is no losing the clips.
Secondly, on the extension. I thought the longer the better. I brought a 10". I was meeting at the same spot as the exhaust. Returned to store and picked up an 8" extension and it worked perfect. It fitted between the heating shield and exhaust.
Third, the boot covering base of shifter is easy to remove. But, returning is a son of a gun. So, when your finished take a tea break before returning the cover. It was the most difficult. It has to sit perfectly in-line.
Those where my recommendation to basic level installers.

Now the problem.
I'm very embarrased to tell. Well here we go. While removing one of the bolts that hold the shifter, I broke off the head of the bolt. I did this by initially turning the bolt the wrong way. Again, I'm very embarrassed. Now, I currently have one bolt holding the base of the shifter. What will have to do to fix this? I need !!!!!!!!
thasleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:31 PM   #2
techinny

Drives: '18 Sierra Denali '05 GMC 2500HD
I understand it is tight in there, and you would have to remove the shifter again, but is there enough of it sticking out to get pliers, vice grips, or a stud remover on it and back it out? If there is not enough sticking out, you are looking at drilling it out, I know there is not alot of room, and it is a small bolt besides. I am glad I am not in your shoes, and I am a heavy equipment mechanic and deal with this type of problems regularly.

Had: 2010 SS/RS M6 Hurst STS, Noweeds
techinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #3
Aries240SS

Drives: 2011 1SS RS Camaro, 1995 LSX 240SX
probably need to drill out the remains of the bolt and get a new set from GM. :(
Old 03-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
thasleeper

Are you serious Aries240ss? I can not grip anything.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:56 PM   #5
dorfmac
www.macsautodetail.com

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Just got my car back with the short throw installed - will take some getting used to for the first day or two, but can already tell I'm going to like it, especially once I breaks in and gets smoother
dorfmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:42 AM   #6
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Damn...that sucks! The bolts that you are talking about are the two that holds the complete assembly to the car right? If you broke the head off of one of those bolts, the only thing that I can see that will remedy this is to drill it out. Given the amount of space in that area...it's going to SUCK ASS.

I had to drill out a bolt before in my previous car because something similar to this happened. I had much more space to work with then....can't imagine it now.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:07 PM   #7
thasleeper

Thanks! I'm going to remove the whole assembly and see if someone can drill it out for me. Keep your fingers crossed for me.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #8

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thasleeper View Post
Thanks! I'm going to remove the whole assembly and see if someone can drill it out for me. Keep your fingers crossed for me.
I know its tight, but might be worth a try before you start drilling...

Try and grind a small slot in the remaining part of the screw, and use a small screwdriver...use a dremmel tool or something to make a slot...

If you gotta drill, I would think you'd need to pull the driveshaft, cross brace...whatever to get a straight shot at it...good luck...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:02 PM   #9
techinny

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
I know its tight, but might be worth a try before you start drilling...

Try and grind a small slot in the remaining part of the screw, and use a small screwdriver...use a dremmel tool or something to make a slot...

If you gotta drill, I would think you'd need to pull the driveshaft, cross brace...whatever to get a straight shot at it...good luck...

I thought about that too, other than access, his biggest problem is that it is only a 6mm screw.

OP, you can get replacement screws at Home Depot, I got longer ones for when I install mine. Take the one good screw you have with you and match them up.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #10
Nessal

Dremel might help making that cross slot.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:56 PM   #11
techinny

If he uses the thinnest cutting wheel available, he'll be able to get it done. The other concern is whether the threads pulled seeing as he was tightening it.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #12
Nessal

Yeah, it's going to be a tough one imo. I say just get a pro to do it since you don't want to screw it up even more. I know that sears does sell a kit for situations like this but I'm not sure if it will work for the OP since the bolt is pretty damn small.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:12 AM   #13
thasleeper

I finally removed the assembly last night. Damn! It was tough removing those latch pins. There has to be an easier way. Anyhow I got it. I tried to drill a hole in screw without success. The plan was to use screw retrievals. It wouldn't work. So, plan B. Going to take assembly to a shop that can help. Any suggestions what shop will be appropriate?
Old 03-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #14

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thasleeper View Post
I finally removed the assembly last night. Damn! It was tough removing those latch pins. There has to be an easier way. Anyhow I got it. I tried to drill a hole in screw without success. The plan was to use screw retrievals. It wouldn't work. So, plan B. Going to take assembly to a shop that can help. Any suggestions what shop will be appropriate?
Many moons ago the shop I worked at sent bad broken fasteners to a shop the had special "EDM" machines for screw removal...basically it burns out the old screw...might have to re-tap or go to next larger size thread...or use heli-coil repair...look under machine shop services/EDM service/screw removal...

You might also try an automotive engine rebuilding shop (one that actually rebuilds the engines there)...they deal with broken/stuck fasteners all the time! lol
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote