Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Phastek Performance

Old 09-26-2017, 06:04 AM   #85
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
To the OP, don't fret about not having a CD player. Here is what you do:

1. Buy a good portable CD player with shock protection or memory (or go find yours that you put in a box 5 years ago in your basement).

2. Order a headphone jack to headphone jack cable. Monoprice sells good cables for dirt cheap. Plug it in to your AUX port.

3. Enjoy your CDs in your Camaro!

This is what I've been doing..... I still have my Panasonic portable CD player from my freshman year in college in 1995. It still works great and has 20 second memory so it'll never skip while driving.

I actually keep mine in the glove box since the armrest binnacle is useless. My audio cable and 12v power adapter are long enough. No you can't skip songs with the steering wheel buttons you have to use the CD player itself. But that doesn't bother me either: my first car was a 1985 Buick Regal and I used a cassette adapter for my CDs like many of us 90s kids did at the time, so it's the same principle.

Now, for the whole argument over why anyone would listen to a CD, buy a CD, or even know what a CD is today..... I have way too many CDs to put on my iPhone or USB stick. I don't have the time to sit down and rip them all - I own about 1500 CDs. Probably more. Lost count. Many of my CDs are the 3rd or 4th reissue or a bootleg or a relic. I'm like the old vinyl guys only with CDs.

Last edited by fastball; 09-26-2017 at 06:21 AM.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:17 AM   #86
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
simple high voltage CD player w/ pre-outs is the only way to go.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:34 AM   #87
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SLVRBULIT View Post
simple high voltage CD player w/ pre-outs is the only way to go.
That won't work in the Camaro stereo system. It won't work in any newer car with CAM or CBUS data. The "head unit" is just a control panel and LCD screen, and the dashboard is actually solid behind it, so you cannot even install an aftermarket head unit in the Camaro if you wanted to. All the tuner/amplifier/sound processor operation is in the Bose amp in the trunk.

You cannot install aftermarket head units in any 2016+ Camaro.

Now, you can install your own amplifier, sound processor, and speakers, but you have to pull the signal from the factory Bose amp in the trunk because that is where the factory sound processor is.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:56 PM   #88
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
There is a device that is supposed to be able to sit inline to the screen that allows you to have an hdmi input to the screen from an arbitrary source. Then you can run your own audio from that to your own amp that doesn't use stupid MOST ...and you're golden.

Not sure if it works with 6th gen as nobody i know of has tried it.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394922

That would be probably the best solution to bypass the Bose amp at this time. Some audio company needs to create a MOST -> analog converter. Just another middle finger to consumer choice and the aftermarket ...two things these companies hate because they dont control them.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 04:42 PM   #89
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
There is a device that is supposed to be able to sit inline to the screen that allows you to have an hdmi input to the screen from an arbitrary source. Then you can run your own audio from that to your own amp that doesn't use stupid MOST ...and you're golden.

Not sure if it works with 6th gen as nobody i know of has tried it.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394922

That would be probably the best solution to bypass the Bose amp at this time. Some audio company needs to create a MOST -> analog converter. Just another middle finger to consumer choice and the aftermarket ...two things these companies hate because they dont control them.
That’s perfect but won’t work on the 6th gen. There’s only one large harness that plugs into the back of the 6th gen LCD.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:59 PM   #90
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
I love my Bose in my 2SS. Great sound and its easy to load music onto the I phone.

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:04 PM   #91
cellsafemode

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
That’s perfect but won’t work on the 6th gen. There’s only one large harness that plugs into the back of the 6th gen LCD.
So then second idea. Relocate the screen connected to the hmi module to the glove compartment (current mylink lcd).

Then do one of the many android/car pc instructables - reusing the mylink housing.

Of course, we could avoid having to do all that ugly hacking if an audio company would make a MOST to analog converter.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:07 PM   #92
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
So then second idea. Relocate the screen connected to the hmi module to the glove compartment (current mylink lcd).

Then do one of the many android/car pc instructables - reusing the mylink housing.

Of course, we could avoid having to do all that ugly hacking if an audio company would make a MOST to analog converter.
Nothing else will physically fit in the dashboard. It’s molded to fit the Camaro MyLink and only the Camaro MyLink. I’ve seen the LCD removed. The dash is solid and the steel support beam is right behind it.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:18 PM   #93
cellsafemode

I'm referring to just the screen module. All the modules associated are behind and beside the glove box.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:20 PM   #94
Rustydaytons
Account Suspended

Drives: Chevy
CD player lol
Rustydaytons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:36 AM   #95
S2K+1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 17 SS 1LE | 07 S2K
This thread is awesome lol

Hey guys do you think GM will bring back the cassette player? Why can’t I get a floppy drive port instead of a USB? Do I have to install my own cellphone antenna?!
S2K+1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:32 PM   #96
Wallbank
2017 Krypton SS 1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
I'm not surprised that there is no CD player in it. My iMac doesn't even have a disk drive. If you put the cds on your phone it won't use data if you're not streaming them. Your music collection can then be controlled by the nav screen or with Siri. For the price of an album a month you have every CD you could wish for. They can be downloaded to not stream and use data.

The gm comment isn't accurate, my wife has a Yukon XL Denali with a Blu ray player in the dash and it plays CDs also.
Wallbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:19 AM   #97
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2K+1LE View Post
This thread is awesome lol

Hey guys do you think GM will bring back the cassette player? Why can’t I get a floppy drive port instead of a USB? Do I have to install my own cellphone antenna?!
Might as well bring back the 8 track too. Lol
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:11 AM   #98
keon718nyc

Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
Sounds like a "Lets go back in time and technology post" LOL I have CD's still and use them on my 2004 saturn beater since it only has am/fm/cd player in it. MP3/4 is a no brainier these days, i can have hundreds of songs on a tiny ass thumb drive rather then a 15 track CD ect. Hell, i still have massive cassette tapes sitting here wondering why they collect dust. I spoke to them in private and told them its the 21st century stay in your coffins LMAO. Ahh the good old Benzi box days... Where are you now HEHEHE
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote